Help....a bit discouraged :(

Options

Replies

• ChefTamiCinNC
    ChefTamiCinNC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Seems like we are all on the same boat! On your food diary you should add sodium and fiber and track those. I agree about the processed meats and salted nuts. I am going crazy myself trying to find better things to eat. That being said it does take time and money to eat healthy and what works for one may not work for you. You must drink 8-10 (8 oz) cups/bottles of water every day. More if you are working out hard and sweating a lot. Increasing your fiber and water will get things moving again! In fact, I have experienced such good results in that department where before I was a little sluggish that I feel so much better and certainly not bloated! Just plan on spending more time in the grocery store looking at labels on the foods you do not purchase fresh. You will be surprised at what you see...or at least I was! MFP is a great resource. Go to the Community Forum and look for recipe ideas (some are just plan strange but I always pickup a few good tips!). Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • Louise5152
    Options
    I totally agree with this, sack the trainer !
  • skittles8810
    Options
    I agree with the 1000 cals, its too low.. but also dont go by the scale.. use your clothes as a guide line. When you gain muscle it will show up as weight gain. Dont get discouraged by the scale.. I wish ppl would throw there scales away.. i recommended to weigh once a month, i think that weekly weighing is bad for your self image. Or at least do it 2 times a month..
  • ElHombre23
    ElHombre23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sodium way to high increase water intake drop sodium you'll probably drop 10 pounds in a week just on the water weight alone...with respect to calories shoot for 1200 if you cant function at 1200 go a little higher...this may take serveral weeks but once you find a calorie range you can function at stick with it...you also use the TDEE/BMR methods I will throw in not everyone is sucessfull using that method you really have to play around with differnet methods until you find the one best suited for your body...
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It would be discouraging, but it's not your fault -- it's bad advice that you've been given. I would seriously consider finding a new trainer or doing it on your own, because any trainer telling you to eat 1000 calories/day and then workout to burn hundreds more doesn't know what he's doing. You need to feed your body; that's the most important thing (and important for keeping things moving along in the washroom, too).

Up your calories, drink lots of water, and be patient. You have to be prepared for the possibility of a bit of a gain when you first increase your calories, but it'll even out soon enough.

Good luck.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Overall, the diet looks pretty good. I don't see a lot of fresh vegetables... I eat a huge salad every day and don't have problems with my bowels. I also drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. These two things contribute greatly to going to the bathroom.

Weight will "ebb and flow" you lose a few, go up one, down three, up two. As long as the overall trend is downwards. You may want to stay OFF the scale and only weigh in monthly so as not to get discouraged after only two weeks. ;-)
  • pachamb
    pachamb Posts: 52
    Options
    :noway:
    You're starving yourself.
    You're not drinking anywhere near enough water.
    You're eating next to no fruit and vegetables.
    You're eating way too much sodium.

Your trainer is WRONG. The guy is a dinosaur. Sorry, but there's no other way of putting this. 1000 kcal per day was the industry standard thirty years ago, when folks generally didn't know balanced nutrition from Adam.

The packaged meats and cheese you're having are packed with sodium and other preservatives, the kind of chemical goodness that makes you retain water. Just as bad: the salted cashews! Nuts are terrific, but they should be raw, unsalted and unoiled. In other words, right now you're getting a lot of salt and chemical crap and very little that will allow your body to function properly.

You should be eating an absolute minimum of 1200 kcal per day, predominantly fresh produce and protein. Yes, it takes planning and time to cook from fresh, but believe me, it will be worth it!

THIS THIS THIS ^^^ If you continue eating this way you are gonna be in for a world of hurt one day.
  • faithgirlsalema
    Options
    I am so sorry that you are feeling low and beleive me, I can totally relate. It sounds to me like you are not eating enough. You should be getting at least 1200 calories a day if you want to lose weight healthily. And if you are working out 6x's per week, you definetly need more that 1000 calories. You may also want to break up your work out routine as well. Try alternating machines every other day. I started breaking up my hour cardio regimine by doing 20 mins. ellyptical, then take a strenght training "break" and do arms (weights), 20 mins. stairclimber, then a strenghth training "break" with abs (weights), and 20 mins.stairclimber, then my last strenght trainging "break" and do legs (weights). Then I sit in the sauna for 10 mins.

I think it is important to change things up so as not to become bored and also so your body is constantly challenged. The trainer at the gym said that changing it up "tricks" your body and helps your metabolism.

But no matter what, DON'T QUIT! Losing weight and excercising is such a learning process. You have to figure out what you like and what suits your body the most. Keep figuring it out. I will be cheering you on! BE BLESSED!
  • dylan1mary
    dylan1mary Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I feel for you but being a trainer that is not enough calories. Unless your trainer has a nutrition certificate he should not be telling you what or how to eat. You need to go see a nutritionist. You need to keep your food in my fitness pal for two weeks and print your reports when you go otherwise you will waste your money on your first appointment. They like to give you advice based on the foods you eat. What did you tell your trainer your goals were, starting weight, how many hours in the six days, what do you do at the gym with him,cardio, strength.....I think his could be a good trainer he just might not be a good fit for you and your goals.
  • aurorabdcrg
    Options
    Yeah - I've had trainers that have given me bad nutrition advice. DON'T LISTEN TO HIM!!!

If you're not losing weight at such a calorie deficit, your body is fighting back. Give it more calories and it will let go of the excess body weight. You'll be slimmin' again in no time!

For the time being, try increasing your caloric intake to about 1400/day. The extra 400 calories will help - and your body will appreciate the extra fuel!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies and support. This is my first time trying to lose weight. I am 185 currently and 5'2. Would like to get down (and not in a miraculous amount of time) to 135. Sometimes you do not know who to trust and all kinds of advise gets you more confused. I appreciate everyone's help!

I'm taller and older than you, but otherwise your situation seems fairly similar to mine a year and a half ago. I had about the same amount of weight to lose and it was also my first serious effort to lose weight. I hadn't made even a token effort to lose weight since my teens, and I didn't need to do it then.

Six days a week of cardio on a base calorie budget of only 1000 calories a day seems awfully aggressive to me, especially for a woman in her 40s who may have gained the weight in the first place because of a lowered metabolic rate due to age related muscle loss. Do you strength train? That was the key for me, along with a moderate calorie deficit and a moderate cardio exercise program. Maybe you're just not logging it, but if you really aren't doing any strength training, then that's another good reason to fire your trainer. I used the resistance machines at the gym, which I know isn't the most effective option. But the low learning curve made it the easiest option for me.

A word of warning about new exercise programs: in the short term, water retained by sore muscles as part of the recovery process may make it appear that you are plateauing, or even gaining, when you have actually lost fat. That may be at least part of the reason your weight is up this week (possibly along with sodium and/or time of the month issues).

For what it's worth, my recommendation would be to set up MFP for a 1 pound/week loss, swap 3 of the 6 elliptical sessions for strength training sessions, and eat back at least 2/3rds of the exercise calories.
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for almost 2 weeks now. In the first 5 days I saw a 4 pound loss. My trainer has me at a 1000 calorie a day and I execercise 6x a week doing the eliptical at the gym. This past week I had seen no change in weight except today...I went UP 2 lbs! I have not changed my eating habits - staying within the 1,000 calorie diet. The last few days, my lower back and upper legs I have been having a dull cramps, and I am having a hard time going #2. In the past I was regular going as soon as I was up in the AM, now I actually have to force myself to go at least by 9 am and lucky to do it later on in the day.

I was so discouraged by the number this morning I was in tears.

Can someone help? :(

Denise

If you can take a spinning class do so instead of the elliptical. It seems to be more effective. Also, just worry about keeping up instead of tension in the spinning class.

You are stressing and you might need to increase your water intake.. Anything worth having is worth working for :wink:

I stay away from the scales since they depress me and just concentrate on how I look.
  • Tanya8373
    Tanya8373 Posts: 16
    Options
    I started around your weight and am 5'2" also!! I have been doing MFP for 8 weeks and have been losing a little weight per week. However, I have lost 10 inches and almost 5% body fat!!! I only work out 3-4 times per week (goal is 4) and my trainer has me on 1200 calories a day. (Protein at 40%, fat 30%, and carb 30%). Hope this helps!! Please be patient and give it some time. Also, if you are working out 6x per week, you are most likely gaining muscle which weighs more than fat, but it burnes ALOT more calories than fat! Good luck!!
  • 17DayDietGal
    17DayDietGal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    YIKES!

SHAME on your Trainer for putting you on a 1,000 calorie diet even withOUT exercising. Have you questioned him about why so few calories?

I'd be having a sit-down with him to find out why he's putting you and keeping you in famine/starvation mode -- definitely not healthy.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You're not going because your body is using up ALL the food you're giving it. I agree with everyone else, up your calories!!
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You aren't eating enough. You should have 1200 calories a day, plus what ever you are burning durning your workouts. 1000 calories is just not enough. Your body is going into "starvation" mode and holding onto the weight... Try adding more calories through fruits/veggies/whole grians/and lean proteins. You'll see just how much you'll lose then. :wink:

I've been eating my recommended calories (via MFP), PLUS as many of my burned calories, and have lost almost 45 lbs since 1/1/12... :)
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 1000 cals, its too low.. but also dont go by the scale.. use your clothes as a guide line. When you gain muscle it will show up as weight gain. Dont get discouraged by the scale.. I wish ppl would throw there scales away.. i recommended to weigh once a month, i think that weekly weighing is bad for your self image. Or at least do it 2 times a month..

Totally agree with this. I weigh in on the first of every month. Your body fluctuates so much, especially with being a woman, that daily and/or weekly weigh ins are not necessarily the best move for everyone. Go by how you feel vs. what the scale says.

And, most definately, kick the trainer out the door!!!!!
  • scooby3xs
    scooby3xs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I have met through this experience a few very supportive friends! I have opened my diary up for anyone who wants to see the change I have made. Gosh I feel better already. Let me know if this plan looks smart to lose smart.

Denise
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That is not enough food for someone who works out 6x a week. I don't think it's enough food for people who don't work out, either. If I were you, I would get a new trainer.

Yes, that trainer is not steering you in the right direction. Your body need so much more fuel when you are extremely active (workout 5+ days a week). Please, please, please up your calories or you will continue to gain.
  • rehtaeh78
    rehtaeh78 Posts: 90
    Options
    That is not enough food for someone who works out 6x a week. I don't think it's enough food for people who don't work out, either. If I were you, I would get a new trainer.

^This