couch to 5k

Options
Is there a secret to this program? I tried it for the first time the other day and thought I was going to pass out! I want to stick with trying this program, but it brought me to tears because I couldn't breathe and the front of my legs KILLED me...any ideas?

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Slow down.

Seriously. Just slow your pace down. "Running" and "sprinting" are not the same thing.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Maybe try running a little bit slower. It's not a sprint, just go for a light jog.
    I completed it before Christmas and now run 5K several times a week. It's a great program if you stick with it :)
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Take it slowly...don't walk/run too fast at all.
    Repeat days and weeks if you have to.

To get your breathing right, try inhaling for two or three steps (through the nose) and exhaling for two-three steps through the mouth. Really concentrate on breathing. It will help!

I'm on W7 D3...and I LOVE this program. I always add time to my days now. Keep trying! :smile:
  • j_desmet
    j_desmet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    YIKES!!! I'm planning on starting that program in a few weeks!! which one are you doing? I think there are different programs. I think the one I'm looking at doing is running 90 seconds, walking 60, run 90. is that the one you did?
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am not too familiar with the program but I am with running. Its hard to start out. There is nothing wrong with going slower until you can build strength and endurance. Maybe this is what you need to do. Sadly there is no trick with running...just stick with it! You can do it!
  • chase7512
    chase7512 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Start at week 1 day 1 (obviously), stay hydrated, coversational pace (even its pretty much walking, it'll improve). and regulate your breathing
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    No real secret. Slow your pace or shorten jog time. You are only competing against yourself. I had to do some of the weeks several times before moving on. Be patient, you can do this. The first time I walked a half mile and wanted to call 911. Good luck.
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    No secret to it - I'm still on week 1 and have been for the past 2 weeks - life has been getting in the way. However make sure you have good shoes with enough support in them (Shin Splints may be the pain you're suffering from with the front leg pain) and make sure you stretch as well - I have stop sometimes while I'm doing this to stretch my calves and shins out because they start to hurt but the best thing I have done for myself in this regard that has helped the most is getting a good pair of running shoes. Also are you using a podcast by chance? I wasn't at first but started to and the music kinda keeps me going and focused as well... Just a thought. GOOD LUCK TO YOU! That's great that you're giving it a shot and I hope you're able to make a go of it!
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    slow down.... keep trying but at your own pace. c25k is a GUIDE to help people who have never run but everyone is different. You can even repeat weeks. Breath through your mouth it helps. Also you can get fitted for running shoes.
  • pshearer7777
    pshearer7777 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The front of leg pain (most likely shin splints) are a killer. I have a MFP blog up about my journey to get into the C25k program (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/pshearer7777) and shin splints are a huge problem for me.

The best thing I found for me is to walk and build up some strength down there. One piece of information I read said that the issue is that the back of your leg muscle is more developed and pulling on the weaker front muscle, causing the pain and that walking backwards can help build that up. I haven't tried that myself, I've mostly just done exercise and rest.

I also went to a running store and got my gait analyzed and got a good pair of running shoes to help my stride. That seems to help with the pain, too.

As for the plan itself, what I did is do kind of a "Week 0" (outlined on the blog) where I jogged for 30 seconds and walked for 2 minutes as a "warm up". Also, don't be afraid to not advance in the plan according to some pre-defined weeks. Work at one week until you feel strong and then move up. You'll know when that is.

You can do this!
  • Senestrorsum
    Senestrorsum Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Take the time to stretch before you go. At first I didn't and my legs did hurt a lot. I'm at week 3 and I really see an improvement. Try to stick to it even if it's hard. For me the day 2 of the first week was definitely the hardest. Try these exercises http://pinterest.com/pin/224476362646375596/ and also don't push to hard, just jog slowly and you are gonna make it!!! You can add me if you want :P
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Take it slowly...don't walk/run too fast at all.
    Repeat days and weeks if you have to.

To get your breathing right, try inhaling for two or three steps (through the nose) and exhaling for two-three steps through the mouth. Really concentrate on breathing. It will help!

I'm on W7 D3...and I LOVE this program. I always add time to my days now. Keep trying! :smile:

Excellent advice. :flowerforyou:
  • kritik
    kritik Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you do some stretching before you start. Drink enough water. And, slow down. When I started the program my youngest son told me that he thought that I walked faster than I ran. :) I think he might have been right. Slow down, set a good pace, and as you progress through the days, you, your legs, and your lungs will get stronger. Also, I did week one twice! ;)
  • Twidget12
    Twidget12 Posts: 71
    Options
    I just started C25K last week and I agree with you completely....I thought I was going to die! My only advice is to just do as much as you can and "push" yourself a little farther each day. I JUST completed Week 1 Day 1 today after 5 attempts. I kept doing the same one over again until I was able to complete it without cheating (as in walking when I should be jogging) or stopping. I still kinda thought I was going to die by the end of it today but the fact that I was able to complete the whole thing was a bigger rush than dying lol. Hope this helps you :)
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! No matter how slow you go - no matter how hard it is - just keep getting out there and doing it.

I did my frist day yesterday - feel free to add me and we can get through this together. :)
  • jatiger83
    jatiger83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would say you must have been running way too fast. I started with a very light/slow jog. My first day I wanted to die! But by the time I did day 3 of w1 i felt pretty darn good about it. it will get better and you wont feel like dying soon :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I felt when i started c25k last year. i made it as far as week 2 and just gave up.

I have decided to try again this year, just finished day 1 of week 4.

You NEED to take it easy..running means to jog very lightly, breath properly..and wear decent quality shoes. Don't be afraid to walk any part of your run if you think you can't carry on running..there is no shame in doing that whatsoever. Also, there is no shame in repeating any day or even any week if you feel you aren't ready. I did week 3 twice.

I would also say that if you still find week 1 very difficult, then try going for a walk, and breaking into a very light jog for 10-15 second intervals for every 2 minutes you walk, and try build your endurance that way.

I am struggling, but there are so many success stories around c25k on mfp, I am 100% convinced that this program works, and works well.

Please don't give up, do go at your own pace, do set your own agenda and don't be afraid. you are doing something that is GREAT!

good luck!
  • whatiseenow
    whatiseenow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with the slowing down! You'll be surprised at what you can do, if you stick with it. I did C25k to prepare for a Turkey Trot and I can now run 7 miles without stopping! And this is weird, and may not apply to anyone else, but whenever I stretched before my run, my legs seized up; now I just stretch afterwards.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    maybe work your way up to the full work outs and make sure to stretch before and especially AFTER you are done sounds like u need to stretch ur shins, you can do this!!!!!
  • Lucianna_D
    Lucianna_D Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was the 1st time I tried this & if you are normally not a running this is pretty tuff.. I play soccer & softball and from the comments above they are absolutely correct its a different type of running.. I maintained a slow pace jog (still felt the pain). Don't be so hard on yourself, give yourself a pat on the back at cause you got it started.. :)