Runners-what is your comfort distance?

Options

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    For midweek runs - 10 or so
    Long runs - up to 16

above that and I have to really start thinking about stuff. I know I can do it just fine but there is just so much more that can go wrong.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Between 4-6 miles. I have no desire to be a distance runner.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My comfort distance is 7 to 8 miles. I can do this without any training as I do it most weeks. I have run a few 1/2 marathons and a full marathon. I enjoy the half marathons much better, but looking foward to running Boston next spring :smile:

You qualified for Boston? Fantastic!

That is awesome! That would be my ultimate dream come true. Of course, the first step would actually be completing a full marathon. Then maybe turning 50, because I can't even hit those qualifying paces for my current age group for a half!
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Im a beginner, so I feel comfortable at 3 miles. Hope to increase this as the year goes on.
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options
    Comfort distance is about 7-9.

I generally don't run anything under 4miles now, it's great to look back to see how you've improved isn't it?! Last year I would have cried doing 7-8. I generally do 12 miles on the weekend run, but am sore for the rest of the day. Recovered by the next day though.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I never think about how far I'm going to go... I just go for as long as I can and after check and see how far that was. :\

I kind of do the same thing. I'm doing c25k, and I just do my 25 (or 28 or whatever) minutes, come home and then check it on mapmyrun afterwards lol...
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    It so depends on the day. I often find my long runs (10-20 miles) on the weekends outside EASIER than my mid-week runs (6-8 miles) that are often at 9pm on a treadmill. A lot of this is more mental than physical. The weekend runs are scenic and I sort of mentally prepare for the very long duration in the prior days. Midweek runs are more boring and feel more like a daily routine than an activity. If I really don't want to run but am 100% healthy, then even 1-2 miles is a struggle for me.

But put me in the right mental state, and I could go out and run a half marathon untapered at any time and do okay, as in beating my PRs from 2+ years ago.
  • artemisnyc
    Options
    I never think about how far I'm going to go... I just go for as long as I can and after check and see how far that was. :\

I do the same exact thing. I never know how many miles i am going to run when i first get out - I go with how i feel. My current average though is around 7 miles.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I do the same exact thing. I never know how many miles i am going to run when i first get out - I go with how i feel. My current average though is around 7 miles.

I need to do more of this. Those "no goals, no expectation" runs are what remind me of why I love running. I don't do it nearly enough. I have become a slave to my training schedule. in a way, I can't wait for this race to be over!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I think I enjoy my 8 mile and 10 mile training runs the most but my shorter runs are challenging in other ways (speed or hills).
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm not super experienced ( and after several years of not running I just started after christmas 2011, a few runs last year but didn't stick with it) but I'm trying to up my miles by 1 each week (this week I stayed at 7 because I was just tired).

I run 6 days ( although people say I shouldn't)
    3.5 (36 minutes)
    6.0 (1 hour 6 minutes)
    a day off and then
    7. (1 hour 21 minutes)

It isn't always in that order, and the last week or so I don't think I've missed a day because I felt stressed and running has helped that. I want to run a half this year maybe a full(prob not till next year). I'd like to run 6 in an hour before I register for a half.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Geez, I'm still working on running 5K without stopping. I ran my first one last fall then took the winter off, so now I have to work my way back up.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I feel like my running and fitness level right now is such that I could pretty much go out and run a half marathon without much training. It wouldn't be pretty, necessarily. But, I know I can easily do that distance.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've been training so far this year with three marathons planned for 2012. One under the belt (Cliff path cross country) and number two taking place in 2 weeks time (power walk during the night) with the third planned in September.

So for me, comfort distances have increased with the training. I'm now quite comfortable with 10-13 miles which I'm doing each weekend.

Of course, it also helps being married to an ultra runner!!!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Im a beginner, so I feel comfortable at 3 miles. Hope to increase this as the year goes on.
    Me too! I'm trying to increase my mileage by a little each week to build up more endurance.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    10-12
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My comfort distance is 7 to 8 miles. I can do this without any training as I do it most weeks. I have run a few 1/2 marathons and a full marathon. I enjoy the half marathons much better, but looking foward to running Boston next spring :smile:

You qualified for Boston? Fantastic!

I did not qualify. I am going to run for a charity
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    Options

I need to do more of this. Those "no goals, no expectation" runs are what remind me of why I love running. I don't do it nearly enough. I have become a slave to my training schedule. in a way, I can't wait for this race to be over!

Ditto! I too feel like a slave to my half marathon schedule. Once I get this first one under my belt next month, I want to do chill out runs and enjoy the scenery too!
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Most I've done has been 15.07 miles. I'd say my still comfortable distance is around 7-11 depending on the day/time/how I'm feeling.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Right around 5 miles is my happy place, too. If I am really pushing to the limit, the max I can do anymore is a half -marathon distance, but I am very out of shape for that kind of stamina (slow runner, 12 min mile). it takes forever!