Trip to Gatlinburg, TN

Options
Hey guys...I'm planning a road trip to Gatlinburg (or surrounding area) with my family. We want to get away from the buildings, palm trees, beaches and everything that is Miami, FL. Any ideas on where to stay and what to do? Btw my kids are 4 months and 3 yrs old.

Replies

• iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    check out Jacksonmountainhomes.com you can find really good rates on cabins there. Ive stayed in Gburg 2x using them in both stays. I would very highly recommend them
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Not that this is helpful at all, but my senior year of high school we took a trip to the Smoky Mountain Music Festival in Gatlinburg, TN to compete in (I was in 3 choirs, our band and orchestra went as well).

And just a little FYI, this girl right here was awarded most outstanding female soloist at the 2002 Smoky Mountain Music Festival. NBD.

We also went to Dollywood. That place was creepy. OH and there's a restaurant there called "Cooter's" and all us 17 year olds thought it was great fun to get shirts that said "I ate at Cooter's." Who am I kidding, I still think that's hilarious.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I actually kind of liked Dollywood. I was stunned. ALso, if u drive over the Cherokee you can take the Great Smokey MOuntain Railroad ride, which for kids is good.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Mama's Farmhouse. All you can eat family style dining. Prepare your *kitten*.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hey guys...I'm planning a road trip to Gatlinburg (or surrounding area) with my family. We want to get away from the buildings, palm trees, beaches and everything that is Miami, FL. Any ideas on where to stay and what to do? Btw my kids are 4 months and 3 yrs old.

Google is your friend.
  • mrsvanderpool
    mrsvanderpool Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There is a Ripleys Aquarium there! My kids love it, we go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge at least twice a year!
  • Changing__Christina
    Options
    Lots to do! Since the kids are little, I wouldn't suggest ziplinning...which was my favorite part. Lots of scenic drives where you can try to spot wildlife. (don't try this on your own, there are tons of bears). There is a "stampede" that is really fun. Its like an indoor rodeo type of show. You get dinner and entertainment. Its great. There is an awesome lodge that is inbetween Sevierville and Gatlinburg (in the park) that has a great pool and amazing accomadations. We typically rent a log cabin with a hot tub, but the kids may enjoy something alittle more fun!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I got married and honeymooned in Gatlinburg and we love taking family trips there. :-)

My favorite place to stay is renting a cabin on the mountain overlooking Gatlinburg. They are fantastic and spaced out enough that you feel like you're way out in the wilderness even though the town is a quick 5 minute trip down the mountain. The pizza places deliver up ere as long as its not iced over. This way you and your kids can have separate rooms (I.e. privacy) plus many of the cabins have hot tubs, jacuzzis, some have entertainment like pool tables etc. Plus a full kitchen so you have the option to make your own meals if you want to. We stayed in a cabin for our honeymoon and just last year we went back and stayed in the exact same cabin with our kids - the one we got had 2 bedrooms so we put the kids in one and then had one to ourselves.

We love taking the Motor Nature trail. All of the town maps show you how to get there, it's cool b/c one minute you're in town and e next it's like you're in the middle of nowhere. There are bunches of stops along the drive where you can hike, picnic, etc. we saw a bear climbing a tree out there one time, super cool.

Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokeys is pretty awesome. We spent several hours there with our 1 and 3 year old. There are also lots of other things to do on the main road in town(putt-putt, shows, dining, shopping, etc). And it's just a quick drive to Pigeon Forge for even more entertainment.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I live in WNC, so Gatlinburg is right across the mountain, literally.

Are you outdoorsy? There is all kinds of outdoor stuff to do. There is also lots of other things to do. They might enjoy Dixie Stampede or something similar. Feel free to PM me specific questions, the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area is barely an hour away.

You can see Cades Cove, it's a bit of a traffic jam though. Townsend is a nice quiet town if you want to that. The parkway is there for driving too. Lots of waterfalls to hike to as well.

JM
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Just found out my uncle is moving there, so excited to visit!!!! Sorry off topic I know :P
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    pigeon forge, too, if the cabins in Gat are filled.

Go to the top of the mountain at night and watch the falling stars. Bring a blanket. the next day, jump on the part of the appalacian trail that runs through there and own that gorgeous hike. Ive done it at least 6 times, so amazing and satisfying.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Oh, the SkyLift is pretty cool, it's basically just a chairlift that you ride up to the top and they take a picture of you on the way up with the mountains behind you and the town below you. Of course they charge you and arm and a leg for the pic but it's a pretty cool souvenir. Also be warned, the only thing at the top when you get off the chairlift is a gift shop and a view and the pic if you want to buy it. But it's a nice relaxing ride. :-)
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I live about a little less than an 1 1/2 there and finally got a season pass to Dollywood. You should go if you get the chance. There is also Splash Country which is a big water park.

Hope you enjoy it!
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great website that we always use is patriotgetaways.com

They have awesome cabins for great prices! And your kids would love the Aquarium. I know my son did and he was only 6 months old
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    The aquarium is really nice, one of my favorites and I've been to several.

JM
  • newlife4cindy
    newlife4cindy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i use homeaway.com to book my trips and they have tons of cabins listed on there. i would definitely do a cabin instead of a hotel. the hotels are pretty much all worn down and gross, except for maybe the hilton in gatlinburg.

Dollywood/Splash Country has tons of activities for the kids.

Ober Gatlinburg is a much cheaper version ($20 if i remember correctly), but the kids will be free and you can ride the skylife there multiple times. they have swings and a few small rides as well as alpine slide which are super fun (and you can control the speed if it scares the little one).

Shopping in pigeon forge.

Cades Cove has bicycles you can rent and ride around the 11 mile loop or you can drive your car.

Chimney Tops is a nice place to picnic with streams all around.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I live in WNC, so Gatlinburg is right across the mountain, literally.

Are you outdoorsy? There is all kinds of outdoor stuff to do. There is also lots of other things to do. They might enjoy Dixie Stampede or something similar. Feel free to PM me specific questions, the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area is barely an hour away.

You can see Cades Cove, it's a bit of a traffic jam though. Townsend is a nice quiet town if you want to that. The parkway is there for driving too. Lots of waterfalls to hike to as well.

JM

What part of WNC?
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Definitely the aquarium - my daughter had a blast there. There is an underwater walkway type thing in the shark tank so you kind of feel like you are "with the sharks". Pretty cool. There's Bubba Gump's restaurant. That was decent. Lots of shops along the road to peek into. Pack your walking shoes for sure :smile:
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I actually kind of liked Dollywood. I was stunned. ALso, if u drive over the Cherokee you can take the Great Smokey MOuntain Railroad ride, which for kids is good.

Both are good suggestions also the Ripley's Aquarium is really good and they have stuff for the kids to do (even big kids like me). Also they have Ober Gatlinberg which is nice.
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    You need to drive the Cades Cove loop. You aren't too far from it in G'burg. A few old cabins, primative churches, grist mill, quiet scenic views. And you will certainly see deer, maybe turkeys, maybe even elk and bears. I'd do the loop during the week, since it can get crowded during the weekend. Early and late in the day increases the chances of seeing deer. The road between GBurg and Cades cove runs right along Little River, which is really gorgeous. And other than gas, it is all free.