Losing weight and PCOS

Options
Hey guys!!
Having been on a lifestyle change of eating for the past month and only having lost a small 5lbs to my disappointment i expected to lose at least 8lbs to a stone... I was diagnosed with PCOS last february and its only now that ive decided to make a lifestyle change and try to shed the pounds.
I have been logging in to MFP each day for the past few weeks to contribute to the calories im eating in the foods im having etc, im just wondering has anyone got any stories of weight loss etc when they have PCOS? I need all the motivation that i can get at the moment as im at an all time low and its very disheartening not to see these lbs dropping off :(

Much love. xx

Replies

• bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    My background: I was diagnosed with PCOS about two weeks after I got married eight years ago. I'm pretty sure my mother had it too based on her symptoms but they called it something different back then.

I have been actively using MFP since January (even though I joined in October.) I'm down 29.6 pounds. It's maybe not as fast as some, but I'm happy with the weight loss. Slow and steady wins the race. I also exercise three to four times a week. And I'm trying to eat healthier than I used to, although I still have the occasional cookies or french fries. I cut out a lot of caffeine. And we cook at home a lot more. I see it as a lifestyle change. My husband is with me on this journey because he needed to lose weight as well, plus he was just diagnosed in January with pre-diabetes. He's down 16 pounds.

I know there are others here who have PCOS as well, so you're definintely not alone.
  • velvetboxed
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in July of 2011. I'm being treated with Metformin 500mg and keeping my diet low in fat and carbs. I walk every day at three then after dinner, I walk again and do short intervals of running with my dog. It's really helped, too. I've lost 10 pounds (even though my little counter/meter doesn't say so). PCOS doesn't hold you back from losing weight, it just takes hard work. Keep the faith! :)
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!!
    Having been on a lifestyle change of eating for the past month and only having lost a small 5lbs to my disappointment i expected to lose at least 8lbs to a stone... I was diagnosed with PCOS last february and its only now that ive decided to make a lifestyle change and try to shed the pounds.
    I have been logging in to MFP each day for the past few weeks to contribute to the calories im eating in the foods im having etc, im just wondering has anyone got any stories of weight loss etc when they have PCOS? I need all the motivation that i can get at the moment as im at an all time low and its very disheartening not to see these lbs dropping off :(

Much love. xx

What's PCOS?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    only having lost a small 5lbs to my disappointment i expected to lose at least 8lbs to a stone...

First and foremost - you need to change both your views and your mental approach to this.

In 30 days, you lost 5lbs. Thats 1.25/bs per week

Thats what you WANT to be doing..... Slow weight loss is exactly what you want to be doing - especially with PCOS and how the hormones play in the picture.

So - if you keep being negative about this being "lost a small 5lbs", you will gain that back and then some because you will ultimately fail yourself.

Dont allow YOU to be the reason you fail.

Youre suppose to be happy with ALL weight loss AND maintains as well.

I speak on personal experience as I too, am PCOS, extreme Insulin Resistance and I have a metabolic disorder that the experts cant put a name to it...

From July 2011 to the end of December 2011, Ive dropped 63lbs. Ive been able to maintain since December 2011, but had a breakthrough loss of another 4 or so more pounds lost... but back to maintaining again. THAT is an AWESOME THING..... Im about to have my first one-on-one personal trainer session tonight to amp up my workouts and Im PUMPED for this.

Seriously you gotta ditch the negative attitude....be happy!!!!
  • lnfunchess
    Options
    bump...Whats PCOS?
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have PCOS too. It is of course possible to lose weight with it but it does take so much longer! Just keep at it, It will happen.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycystic_ovary_syndrome

Google is your friend?

I have it too.
  • newlifecowgirl
    Options
    My doctor told me last fall/winter that I have PCOS. It didn't really hit home with me until about December. In January I finally decided to take charge and get on a good diet/program, started excercising, then I found MFP and logged my food which helped enormously. I have lost 44 LBS since January, and I have had to work for it. I make sure to eat a fair amount of protein, have reduced my carb intake, fat and sodium.
    My PCOS symptoms have disappeared. I will be going back to the doctor in 2 months to see how I am doing :)
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    and wikipedia is not.
  • Jtttusher
    Jtttusher Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos in 1994. It never really affected my weight until 2001 after my second son was born. Then i gained around 50 pounds. I have "dieted" off and on since. Now that i have found mfp, I really started end of January, I am down 18 pounds. It's not coming off as quickly as i had hoped(around 1 pound a week) but its coming of nonetheless! Hang in there! Eating right and exercise is the truely the key! I did have a hystorectomy in August 2011, due to uterine fibriods,but kept my ovaries. I can now actually exercise since i am no longer in agonizing pain! I was warned that some women gain weight after a hystorectomy, and I thought....Hell No!!! Been there for too long! Took my health into my own hands and now i am halfway to my goal weight. I do struggle sometimes with good food choices...but i hold myself accountable to continue on this journey. YOU can do this!! Hard work and determination pays off. Feel free to add me if you feel you would like the extra support. And good luck!!! You deserve this. You have pcos....it does not have you :)
  • Julibug86
    Julibug86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You have pcos....it does not have you :)

Love this last line! I also have PCOS and part of me sees it as a motivation; I just need to work that much harder. Plus, as silly as this may sound, any anger I have toward PCOS I simply channel into exercise. Better to be angry at PCOS than myself, and much more productive as well.
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I read this blog all the time. There is so much useful information about hormones and recipes to help fight disease. Hope you find it useful too. http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/#uds-search-results
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and so far I have lost almost 40 pounds by exercising and counting calories. It definitely was not easy but it can be done. Don't give up on it, you can do it!!
  • badlydrawnperson
    badlydrawnperson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Am also a PCOS life member... the weight loss thing is horribly frustrating, it seems our bodies are just very efficient at getting maximum energy from calories, so apparently we'd be brilliant in times of famine. Sadly I live in times of plenty and of wine!
    I got diagnosed about 10 years ago and frankly it was a huge relief to know why I had so much trouble losing weight, because up til that point it didn't make sense that I was eating pretty healthily and seeing no results. I won't try and speak for anyone else, but what I found was that the only way I could lose weight at what some might consider a normal pace (2lb a week) was basically to live in the gym, give up on a social life and stick to about 1000 calories a day. I lost 8 stone (over a very dull 2 years), and although I got thin I wasn't happy and couldn't see maintaining this for life.
    I'm now trying to take a more balanced view of what I can live with and this includes losing weight at a slower pace, but feeling good about myself for making healthy choices. I use mfp to track calories and exercise and reassure myself I am doing the right things and I that I am eating/exercising healthily and so it helps me feel in control.
    Your weight loss seems steady to me and it sounds like you're doing really well, don't beat yourself up for what you haven't achieved, be proud of what you have :)