Looking for some new (and easy) vegetable recipes

Options
marie_2454
marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
I'm trying to eat more veggies, but I never know what exactly to do with them. Right now pretty much all I eat are baby carrots with hummus, spinach in my omelets, and occasionally spinach salad. I like asparagus, but don't know how to do anything but grill them and my grill broke :( I also like broiled brussel sprouts, but not sure exactly how to cook them. I've only tried them once at a restaurant. I am definitely not a chef and time is usually a luxury for me, so things I could make a big batch of and then freeze for the rest of the week would be great, or things I could prepare a head of time and then cook pretty fast later on in the week.

So, what are some of your go-to veggie recipes? Thanks!

Replies

• jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I struggle to eat veggies, and prefer raw veggies. I make broccoli salad. Most broccoli salads are horrible for you, but not mine.

Get plain, fat free yogurt, or plain greek yogurt. (a big tub of it for lots of salad). Line a fine mesh strainer with a single layer of paper towel. Gently spoon the yogurt into it. Cover it. Place it over a deep bowl (so the bottom of the strainer doesn't touch anywhere near the bottom of the bowl) and put it back in the fridge for about an hour.

When ready to make it, measure the yogurt out into a dry measuring cup. For a small batch, use 1 cup of the yogurt, with 1 cup sweetener of your choice, 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar and 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix with broccoli and a little bit of chopped bacon. You can add cheese if you want, but I don't because too often I've had too much cheese in one bite and just leave it out now. This dressing is soooooo delectable. This always tastes better after you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, or even overnight. The dressing will be a little more watery because it is yogurt, but draining the yogurt first really helps. Given, mine isn't the absolute best for you, but it is still better than loading it with mayo.
  • lifes_revenge
    lifes_revenge Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So, i'm vegetarian and very big on my veggies!! I also try to get in plenty of high protein veg too :)

A good base for your veg is:

garlic, chilli flakes (or fresh), dried oregano and basil. And maybe half a tspn of bouillon.

I add this seasoning mix to pretty much any veg. Its usually 0.5 - 1cm of water in a pan then I add an onion followed by say frozen spinach, frozen baby broadbeans, sweetcorn and then the fresh veg like asparagus, courgette, mushrooms and finally either canned or fresh tomatoes. Inbetween adding each veg I put a lid on the pan to stop it drying out and cooking down the onions etc.

Sometimes I poach an egg in the juices as it cooks and other times I just add a quorn fillet or a couple of quorn sausages. Its super nutritions and very tastey :)
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Slice up some zuchinni into coins and set into pan (you can use olive oil in the pan, but I use a quick spray of non-stick cooking spray)

Cook on medium to low heat for about 20 minutes (the zuchinni will become more trasparent in the center of the coins)

Mix zuchinni with crumbled feta cheese (1oz feta for every 3 or 4oz zuchini).

Enjoy! (About 80-100 calories for every 4 oz serving)

Edit: I measure the zuchinni raw
  • bythebay831
    Options
    i love veggies. i dont eat meat very often so when my dad bbqs he will bbq some veggies they are amazing. also putting corn on the grill. I also enjoy baked veggies too. they are very simple to make. also go to Whole Food or Trader Joes and get a vegitarain cook book, it will come with a lot of simple ideas.
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm also a vegetarian and don't ever have problems with veggies...my two favorites that non-vegetarians also LOVE are:

Spinach and black been enchiladas: one package of fresh spinach, one can of black beans, tortillas, green enchilada sauce, onion, red pepper, jalapeno, and pepper jack cheese.

and

Balsamic Roasted Vegetables:
    (any veggie you want) or Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, bell peppers, onions, garlic with pepper and balsamic vinegar
    Roast the vegetables at 425 degrees for 45 minutes (stir a few times). Serve ontop of rice or pasta or on their own. (sprinkle with Feta or parmesean cheese when you serve it.)
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Stir fry them in a skillet with some spray or a bit of olive oil. I like to use frozen veggies. No added sodium but still very healthy and you can get about anything. Add whatever you want for seaoning or just add some diced onion, peppers, garlic for taste. Too bad your grill is broken! Love veggies grilled.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes guys! Those look great! And I :heart: feta cheese!
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I struggle to eat veggies, and prefer raw veggies. I make broccoli salad. Most broccoli salads are horrible for you, but not mine.

Get plain, fat free yogurt, or plain greek yogurt. (a big tub of it for lots of salad). Line a fine mesh strainer with a single layer of paper towel. Gently spoon the yogurt into it. Cover it. Place it over a deep bowl (so the bottom of the strainer doesn't touch anywhere near the bottom of the bowl) and put it back in the fridge for about an hour.

When ready to make it, measure the yogurt out into a dry measuring cup. For a small batch, use 1 cup of the yogurt, with 1 cup sweetener of your choice, 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar and 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix with broccoli and a little bit of chopped bacon. You can add cheese if you want, but I don't because too often I've had too much cheese in one bite and just leave it out now. This dressing is soooooo delectable. This always tastes better after you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, or even overnight. The dressing will be a little more watery because it is yogurt, but draining the yogurt first really helps. Given, mine isn't the absolute best for you, but it is still better than loading it with mayo.

This sounds really good. One quick question, what do you mean by "1 cup sweetener of your choice"...fruit juice or something?
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options

This sounds really good. One quick question, what do you mean by "1 cup sweetener of your choice"...fruit juice or something?

I didn't want to tell everybody to load it down with sugar. So I say "sweetener of choice" to imply if you want to use splenda instead, or whatever sweetener you prefer, whether it be sugar, splenda, whatever, (making any necessary adjustments with sweet & low or whatever else is out there.)
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Asparagus! I love the stuff...here is one of my favorite recipes:

Cut the yellow/white ends off and put them on a baking tray. I like to add olives and some olive oil. Throw it in the oven at about 350 and cook until tender. Don't forget to flip them! Add some salt and pepper and you're done!
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    These sound great. I just bought a grilling pan with holes in it for my veggies. I plan on doing a lot of grilling this summer. I can't wait to try it out now that the farmers market is open.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Beans- Beans the magical fruit!! :-)

I like black bean salad. A variety of different recipes.

Usually has black beans (rinse well to get rid of the nasty sodium if you used canned) + frozen or canned corn + green and/or red onion+ avocado + red and or green peppers. For the dressing, a little olive oil, minces garlic, lemon juice.

Stays good for a few days in the fridge and is yummy.

There are lots of easy and quick recipes on line.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My favorite veggie dish right now is inspired by a pre-cut mix I found at Trader Joes, called Asparagus Saute. But I just do it myself, it's really easy:

Cut up some asparagus into pieces (a little larger than bite-size works for me)
    Slice up some crimini mushrooms
    Slice some rather large pieces of red onion.

Put them into a hot saute pan with about 1 Tb of olive oil, and immediately cover. Just let it cook for about 2-3 minutes.
    Lift the cover and then just stir the veggies around for another 2 minutes or so.

That's it! I like my veggies crisp but if you like them more tender just cook a few minutes longer.

It's sooooo good :love:
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like slicing up onions and bell peppers. Before I put them on the grill I use a little bit of olive oil and Mrs. Dash seasoning (they are salt free and there are a bunch of different flavors so I can change it up) then I just grill them. I put them with chicken or whatever meat I'm eating also good with salads after they've cooled
  • scjones1964
    Options
    My mother introduced me to Broccoli Cole Slaw w/ add ins. Take the packaged fresh broccoli cole slaw, and toss it in either a coated pan or use a "touch" of coconut oil, add Onion, Sugar Snaps, Mushrooms, etc...salt/pepper to your liking and and stir fry just until tender...
  • gimmewellness
    gimmewellness Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Jessica Seinfeld has a book called "Deceptively Delicious". it's a way to hide veggies in other foods. ie: mashed squash in mac and cheese,mashed cauliflower in mashed potatoes or in scrambled eggs, spinach in brownies. works like a charm!! Just more ways to get veggies in.
  • MayraAle88
    MayraAle88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Jbvbhl
    Jbvbhl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love Brussels Sprouts, but my family not so much. So I cut them in half, put them in a steamer bag with a tablespoon of non fat, low sodium vegetable broth and a tiny bit of Mrs Dash Fiesta Lime and pop in the microwave. My daughter and husband love them now.

For Asparagus, I bake them with a little bit of white balsamic vinegar splashed on top and they come out so yummy..
  • jpuderbaugh
    Options
    Jessica Seinfeld has a book called "Deceptively Delicious". it's a way to hide veggies in other foods. ie: mashed squash in mac and cheese,mashed cauliflower in mashed potatoes or in scrambled eggs, spinach in brownies. works like a charm!! Just more ways to get veggies in.

Somebody on another forum said she makes black bean brownies. Take a can of black beans, drain them, rinse them, pour them back in the can and refill it with water. Puree them, and mix them with a box of brownie mix. She said you can't taste them. I know I have everything to try it. Hoping it will help me with beans because I don't like any type of bean.