Did you gain weight doing C25K?

Options
Hi I'm on week 3 Day3 today and was just wondering if anyone else has gained weight doing this program at first? I'm not positive it's from this cause my birthday just passed and I did make some bad food and drink decisions but nothing to the extreme of me gaining 4lbs. Also I am still really over weight I have another 35lbs I want to lose and that still doesn't bring me to the healthy weight range just a couple lbs away. I've seen ppl post that running/jogging while overweight isn't good but honestly i really love it. Never though in a million years I'd love it. For me it helps relieve stress and clears my mind. Right now I'm not supossed to be going to the gym I have major back issues and the doc said to rest a bit but I feel like exercising helps with the pain. So C25K isn't the only Exercise I'm getting in. I try to hit the gym at least 3 times a week for about 1.5-2hours a session, I do strength traing 4 times a week for an hour each time. The weekends are hardto get to the gym so I normally do a nice long walk with my son in the stroller.

My 2nd question if you have done this did you lose any weight or inches?

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I did not gain weight when I did the C25K. It could be that your muscles are retaining water to repair the new muscles you are using.

I started the C25K to help boost my weight loss. I've completed it and run 3 days a week 3-3 1/2 miles right now, hoping to add more distance in the next week or two (I do the arc trainer the other 4 days and strength train at least 3 days a week). I haven't really lost any weight since I started, but I have lost a ton of inches. I've gone down almost 2 sizes since I started this round of C25K in Jan/Feb of this year (had to take some time off for injuries). My belly is a lot smaller and so are my legs and hips.
  • feather314
    Options
    I attempted the C25K program but tweaked it for myself. In my current configuration I am not suited for running so basically I did it with interval walking. I made it into week 6 but life got in the way (my son had surgery, started remodeling the house, etc).

I did not gain weight and in fact was losing weight; however, I was doing Walk Away the Pounds DVD's on the days I wasn't doing the C25K program so I can't for certain say what was helping more.

I would just keep at it. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water so that there's less a chance of water retention (sounds counterintuitive huh?).

Hang in there.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I did, but I wasn't counting calories at the same time. Do you have an HRM? Maybe you're over estimating your calorie burn?
  • 2fabfromfat
    2fabfromfat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did C25K at the beginning of my weight loss and I lost a lot of weight and inches in the 10 weeks I did the program for... I wasn't just doing the C25K workouts, I was doing other cardio as well like the elliptical and stuff... But I follow Weight watchers as well, and diet is 80% of weight loss... If you are eating right and have a calorie deficit every day, then it could be your muscles retaining fluid for recovery... What helps this is to drink A LOT of water... I drink about 15 glasses of water a day... Maybe up your water intake and you will see the number go down??
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It sounds like water retention to me - just based off the strength training alone. Give it some time, it should level back off. :smile:
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - I am getting through week 1 finally and I know if I saw the scale go up I'd freak, so now after seeing everyone's advice that will keep me going! GOOD LUCK TO YOU AS WELL!!! :)