Best protein powder?

Options

Replies

• callmeabeast
    Options
    when getting protein you want to get isolated protein and not whey from concentrate because that's just cheap protein, I use Gold Standard 100% Whey (I bought it at GNC) and it has 24g per serving!! Its a great protein and I really enjoy it!
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    Wow the Visalus sales people are out in full force today, must be end of the month quota time.

<~~~~~~Again, I don't sell it. I don't do that....I use the product because it works for me...

I should of know a Canuck fan would be so negative. I would be to if my team won the Presidents trophy two years running and nothing to show for it. Go Blackhawks!! We got the cup in 2010-2011.

Swing and a Miss - Canuck in this case means Fit_Canadian , not the hockey team :)

Knows this but still sounds like a Canuck fan.... LOL
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I like Jay Robb Egg egg white protein powder. I can't have dairy and won't consume soy....although it's in damn near everything, unfortunately.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this topic too.

I've got Muscle Milk Light in my fridge right now. Single serving pre-made drinks. 100 calories and 15 g of protein. The regular was 20 g of protein for like 180 calories and I thought for 20 extra calories (2 drinks) I could get 30 g of protein which I thought was okay.

Definitely want more options though!!!
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    ADVOCARE!!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I dunno which brand is best, but for whatever brand you go for, chocolate is by far the best flavor!!! lol
  • firefighterswife4
    firefighterswife4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi! 1 powder and you can mix to make ANY flavor you can think of! Works great for me!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I am with Canuck on this one. Save your money and get the good stuff. Optimum nutrition or Myofusion. I Oder from body building.com. I think adding good protein has helped me loose a ton of inches and 15 or so pounds.
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like syntrax nectar, its low carb and as an isolate so easy to mix and the fuzzy navel (peach) is so good. The Caribbean cooler's predominate flavor is coconut but I tone it down with the fuzzy navel
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    For Powders Jay Robb and Pure Protein are good.

For pre made shakes I use Premier - 30 gr Protein, 160 calories. Have one for breakfast everyday!!!!

Nutritionist also advised Whey protein over Soy.

With increase protein you need increaseed water and fiber......

Best of Luck!!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am with Canuck on this one. Save your money and get the good stuff. Optimum nutrition or Myofusion. I Oder from body building.com. I think adding good protein has helped me loose a ton of inches and 15 or so pounds.

I had to look up those Body by VI protein shakes that are supposed to be so good, a little over 20g of protein in 2 scoops, when a high quality protein powder tops at a little over 40g per 2 scoops.

Don't buy into the scam, get a high quality whey isolate protein powder from a reputable supplement store.
  • TheOneBlackMage
    TheOneBlackMage Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're looking for... there are a lot of different types of protein powder - whey/casein/soy/egg white

Good article on the differences:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/290605-types-of-protein-powder/

For a meal replacement I would go with a cross blend, so the digestion is slower and you'll feel full longer. This is what I use when I'm making smoothies or just as a protein snack during the day:

http://www.supplementscanada.com/myofusion_gaspari_6_lb.html

The vanilla flavor is very rich and tasty, and it mixes well with almost anything.

For a pre/post workout protein powder to help with recovery, I would go with a whey isolate. It digests quickly especially after a workout so it helps with muscle rebuilding. This is what I have in my gym bag for after a workout:

http://www.supplementscanada.com/isoflex_allmax_nutrition_6_lb.html

I don't like the vanilla flavor (bland) but the peanut butter chocolate chip is very tasty.

I've also used the Diesel chocolate whey isolate, and it has stevia so the taste is a bit different, but it is a nice chocolate flavor:
    http://www.feelgoodnatural.com/catalogue/PN91.html
  • jkrobertson1998
    jkrobertson1998 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use EAS Whey, Pure Protein, or whatever is on sale....I only use about half a scoop with some a fat free milk and some nesquik for a recovery drink after a long bike ride...most of my protein comes from beans, pasta, yogurt, fat free milk, and lean meats.
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    To the OP.....You are going to have to go somewhere else with your research. Apparently people with successful experinece witha product they use (NOT SELL!) is only good for slamming....

Good luck hon on whatever you decide. :smile:
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned Isopure?!?!?!

Or Optimum?!?!?!

Isopure Zero Carb - 100 calories per scoop. 25g protein. It is carb and fat free (depending on the flavor); its calories are pure protein. Look at the vitamin profile on it - each scoop gives you 25% of everything. It's also got a ton of aminos added as well. Taste is great - but I mix my powders with unsweetened almond milk. Oh yeah, and it is 100% WHEY ISOLATE which is the fastest-digesting protein with all the impurities removed, that is why it is slightly more expensive than traditional, bulk whey powder.

Optimum Egg Protein is a great lactose-free, soy-free protein with a fantastic natural amino profile.

Optimum Natural Whey is a great option for those of you who don't want to consume sucralose (Splenda). It is sweetened with natural cane sugar.

I don't know what the hell this Body By Vi stuff is but it sounds about as legit as "shakeology".

+1 for Bodybuilding.com or Amazon.com if you are a Prime member.

Oh yeah and SmartShakers are the best shaker bottles - I bring 2 to work every day.

Word.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    I have been drinking Arbonne Protien Shakes. They have 20g protien per serving and are 160-170 calories. I'm pretty picky when it comes to shakes and I love them. They are a little pricey but were the same cost as a lean cuisine for lunch so I opted to try them. Honestly I look forward to drinking them because they are somewhat sweet and very filling. My doctor gives them high praises and even his kids love them. I think you can get them online at www.arbonne.com. Good luck finding something that works for you!
  • pjteige
    pjteige Posts: 6
    Options
    My local grocery store has a bulk section and they sell plain whey protein, unflavored. It is about $13 and change a pound, which ends up being quite a bit cheaper than any name brand protein. I just mix it with milk. If you don't like the flavor you can add your own, but I really don't find it tastes that bad at all.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Ryn,

This one will run and run, but for highest protein/lowest carb/easiest mix/decent taste I think you'll find Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard is the best. I like the double rich chocolate, mixed with 1/2 almond milk and water.

This is an Amazon link for what I get, but I'm not affiliated with either Amazon or OM, I just use 'em.

http://amzn.to/IkCbMO

There's a lot of total phooey out there, and some are very expensive indeed.

brendan

^^Agreed! The Vanilla Ice Cream isn't bad... it lends itself better to blending with other fruits to make a "power smoothie". The Double Rich Chocolate is amazinggg! I mix a FULL ROUNDED SCOOP (24g protein, I think) with 6-8oz of skim milk. It's so much better with milk than water!

Just don't get cookies&cream. It doesn't mix well at all

I also buy mine on Amazon. The 5lb container is a pretty good value. It's $52-$55 up-front, depending on flavor, I think. But both my boyfriend and I drink it on a daily basis and a 5lb container lasts us around 2-2.5 months.
  • adonisrandolph
    adonisrandolph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are various types and flavors of Proteins. Flavor depends on your individual taste, you have vanilla, chocolate, chocolate peanutbutter, vanilla prelain, cookies and cream etc, etc. But the types are whey, which is fast digesting, you have casein which is more of a slow digesting protein, and you have soy, which is vegetable protein or proteins from soybeans.

As far as protein per scoop, observe how many grams of protein you get compared with the scoop gram size.
    Ex. If you have a 32 gram scoop and you get 26 grams of protein from that scoop, the would be about a 85-90 protein.

Hope this helps.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Now for all the Pro-Visalus folks, let's look at your claim that the Visalus Protein Shakes are "Healthy" , ingredient list from Visalus itself,

Protein Blend of (Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, and Whey Protein Concentrate), Digestive Resistant Maltodextrin (Fibersol™), High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Natural and Artificial Flavor, MCT Oil, Maltodextrin, Gum Acacia, Xanthan, Sodium Caseinate, Lecithin, Aminogen™, Mono & Diglycerides, DiPotassium Phosphate, Sucralose

Now for a list of a good quality protein powder, my choice is GNC but there are plenty of other good ones

Whey Protein Isolate, Lecithin, Natural and Artificial Flavours, Sucralose

Notice any difference? If you like your "healthy" protein with tons of additives and half the protein than a good protein powder, then by all means Visalus if your choice.