One cheat meal is not going to hurt you

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat...I EAT. I do not understand this cheat thing. What exactly is one cheating on... Do people plan on going the rest of their lives without eating out or eating cake or whatever else. That is why diets fail. You need to work these things into your lifestyle. All things in moderation. It works.

I couldn't agree more. I don't like the concept of a "cheat" day, either. Just the name encourages a person to feel guilty about what they eat that day, and guilt is never a good emotion to have about food. I strongly feel that if I want a food that is not part of my normal daily food plan then I simply have to earn the extra calories for it.

yup. blogged on this very thing this morning. hate the term.

( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tsh0ck/view/time-to-come-clean-249205 )
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat...I EAT. I do not understand this cheat thing. What exactly is one cheating on... Do people plan on going the rest of their lives without eating out or eating cake or whatever else. That is why diets fail. You need to work these things into your lifestyle. All things in moderation. It works.

I couldn't agree more. I don't like the concept of a "cheat" day, either. Just the name encourages a person to feel guilty about what they eat that day, and guilt is never a good emotion to have about food. I strongly feel that if I want a food that is not part of my normal daily food plan then I simply have to earn the extra calories for it.

Ditto this
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The thing about planning cheat meals is that it can definitely get out of hand for some people, regardless of how well you "planned it". The problem with most "cheat" foods is that they are very unhealthy, full of processed, highly concentrated fats and sugars and things that should just not go into your body period. Those things are quite literally addictive for some people, especially those struggling with their weight (how do you think they became overweight in the first place? it definitely wasn't by having "one treat a week") With some people, certain foods lead to a strong, almost insatiable desire for MORE MORE MORE. And if it was that easy for them to just stop at one bite or one meal, they probably wouldn't be overweight now.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yes it will. It will hurt me, and it does every-time I cheat. I do not drink, smoke or do drugs but I have a serious addiction to food. It is like telling a drug addict that smoking some crack every now and again will not hurt them. It may not hurt someone who does not have an addiction, but it can derail someone like me and the next thing I know I have put on 15 pounds.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Yes it will. It will hurt me, and it does every-time I cheat. I do not drink, smoke or do drugs but I have a serious addiction to food. It is like telling a drug addict that smoking some crack every now and again will not hurt them. It may not hurt someone who does not have an addiction, but it can derail someone like me and the next thing I know I have put on 15 pounds.

I was talking about the general consensus. Most people who are super strict will fail. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Again, if you hate the word "cheat". You don't have to name it anything, or if you do...hows super rainbow funday sound?

People should know its not like cheating as in on a spouse or someway in life. Its a nickname.
  • pboroaddick
    pboroaddick Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day, but every so often you go out with friends for a meal, birthday bash or just a few drinks. I have been surprised that an odd day has not harmed my weight loss. Last weekend I was well over my calorie limit but back on the plan rest of the week and lost a pound at my weigh in today. So, you should not be domotivated by an odd day as that is life, it is how you react afterwards that is important.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I have seen so many people who went on this hardcore diet, have a cheat day, and totally fell off the wagon. This has happened to me so many times when I yo-yo'd.

I feel like the best way to go on a diet and stay with it, is baby steps and moderation. Pick out one cheat day a week where you are not worrying about what you are eating. You don't even have to track. If the other 6 days are well planned out, this one cheat day will not hurt you. It will keep you sane.

Weekly cheat days are stupid. They also become habit forming, then it's 2 days a week. then 3.
  • jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I cheated every Sunday for months, don't do it now.

I think the biggest reason people freak is due to the gain they see on the scale the next day from water retention.

Id gain anything from 6-9lbs over a weekend (2 cheat days). It used to scare me, but I know that its just water weight. For some reason I carry a lot of it if I have a huge sodium day. It comes right off and then some by the next weigh in.

i think this is me. can go out to dinner and put on five pounds over a weekend, with normal eating and then a large meal out. frustrating that then i take the first few days of the week reversing the damage from the weekend. any advice?

I would say keep your bingeing to one day rather than the weekend and don't make up for it. Keep the rest of your week at your targets. If you're doing this you shouldn't be damaging your efforts.
  • misssephy
    misssephy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If I really want something I will have it, depriving yourself of what you enjoy is soul destroying and just means you wan't keep to your regime. If I am going out for a meal or drinks I will up my exercise accordingly to balance it out.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    The thing about planning cheat meals is that it can definitely get out of hand for some people, regardless of how well you "planned it". The problem with most "cheat" foods is that they are very unhealthy, full of processed, highly concentrated fats and sugars and things that should just not go into your body period. Those things are quite literally addictive for some people, especially those struggling with their weight (how do you think they became overweight in the first place? it definitely wasn't by having "one treat a week") With some people, certain foods lead to a strong, almost insatiable desire for MORE MORE MORE. And if it was that easy for them to just stop at one bite or one meal, they probably wouldn't be overweight now.

the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

People should know its not like cheating as in on a spouse or someway in life. Its a nickname.

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but the manner in which different people conceptualize things is important. People like me are very sensitive to meaning (and I wasn't at all offended). For me, expression = thinking = behavior. Calling it a "Cheat Day" is entirely the wrong connotation.

No worries, you sparked a good discussion.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! Couldn't agree more!
  • Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use the "cheat day" method, which in all actuality ends up being a cheat meal - usually Friday night. I weigh in Friday mornings and also make sure that I exercise to attempt to balance out any extra calories. I also still track everything. I'm still responsible for what I'm intaking. By still tracking, even though I know I'm going to be over, I tend to keep things at least reasonable. I lost 45+ pounds using this method a few years ago, and I will keep using it as long as I see results every week.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I cheated every Sunday for months, don't do it now.

I think the biggest reason people freak is due to the gain they see on the scale the next day from water retention.

Id gain anything from 6-9lbs over a weekend (2 cheat days). It used to scare me, but I know that its just water weight. For some reason I carry a lot of it if I have a huge sodium day. It comes right off and then some by the next weigh in.

i think this is me. can go out to dinner and put on five pounds over a weekend, with normal eating and then a large meal out. frustrating that then i take the first few days of the week reversing the damage from the weekend. any advice?

<b>I would say keep your bingeing to one day rather than the weekend and don't make up for it.</b> Keep the rest of your week at your targets. If you're doing this you shouldn't be damaging your efforts.

I don't think that by Cheat Day people mean "license to binge." But the possibility of that happening is exactly why I don't like the concept for myself.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I actually cheat *every* day - I just eat less of my cheat foods than before! It's the best way for me, because I find if I cheat by a huge amount my stomach stretches or something so I want that much food every day! I've heard that if you stop eating "bad" foods then you stop craving them, so I'm trying to wean myself off processed altogether. Slowly.
  • Readytobedifferent
    Readytobedifferent Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If a cheat day or meal works for you & doesn't hurt your progress then by all means keep doing it BUT it doesn't mean that it's for everybody.

I agree with what someone else said, it's like telling a drug addict it's ok to have drugs once a week or a recovering alcoholic that it's ok to drink as much as they want to once a week.

The same things will not work for everybody.

For me personally I just tell myself I can have any food I want as long as I count it, that way i'm not depriving myself. I do have a higher calorie day on the weekends but I still count everything I eat because that's what works for ME.
  • Wendyerickson
    Wendyerickson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing but it's usually just one meal instead of the whole day...thanks for sharing and keep up the good work:)
  • PinkShoe24
    PinkShoe24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that I can have a "cheat day" or a "cheat meal" or whatever you want to call it but the more I start moving and exercising and making healthy choices, the less I want to cheat... My weakness is Spicy Jalapeno Cheese Doritos but I believe that everything in moderation is the key to making it a lifestyle and I'm not going to beat myself up for allowing myself a treat.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess.
    but my point is, what is keeping someone who TRULY has a problem with junk food from eating it in excess? absolutely nothing. simple self control isn't even enough to keep a binge eater from grabbing another cookie, or another twelve cookies. Or having four more slices of pizza after their first.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m17gqsA7Kb1qke924o1_500.png