TMI Female Bike Riding Issue

Options

Replies

• rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have a really nice trail bike and had to order a seat with the middle cut out because I was having the same issues. On another high note, the hole in the seat also allows for some air flow. LOVE IT!
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My bike seat is similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Origin8-PRO-FIT-Saddle-White/dp/B003COG45G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1335483630&sr=8-5

Between the seat (they even measured my butt to get the right size seat!) and padded cycling shorts, numbness is a rare thing now. Only happens if I sit on it funny for a few miles, and then it's my own fault. So definitely look into getting a better seat. If you can, go to a specialty bike shop and get fitted for one.
  • Jessie__86
    Options
    Why did I click on this?

hahahaha always remember curiousity killed the cat!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I clicked to see what kind of female issue "TMI" was. :ohwell: It was interesting, however, since I just bought a bike and haven't started riding yet. I didn't know why the seat has a hole in the middle.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY why I don't ride bikes.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options

have this and love it!
  • lovesbikes
    lovesbikes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    OK this is my first post here.

I own 2 bikes (Giant Sedona & a Bianchi Alfana) and put in atleast 26-36 miles a week.

Things that helped me

1. Seat Height, (I cannot stress enough on this, it makes you more comfortable and gives more power to the peddels).

2. Bib/Shorts eg. http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Womens-Knicker-Medium/dp/B004EPX45A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335484136&sr=8-1
    Pearl Izumi makes some awesome shorts and bibs for cyclists you will find it in your LBS (local bike store) try on different ones.
    I usually wear mine under my pants/shorts. Make sure you get a female one since the male one will have gel in different places.

3. Saddle (its not called a seat since it is not designed to take your entire weight supposed to be distributed between hands and legs) the one that helped me most was an anotimic one (ones that have a hole in them) eg. http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-RX-Womens-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B000W7K3SA/ref=sr_1_4?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1335484440&sr=1-4
    I spend like 45$ on my seat.

4. DZ Nuts Bliss Chamois Cream - Women's

Hope it helps, also I love this book "Ride Your Way Lean" - SELENE YEAGER lot of tips on cycling . Bicycle Magazine site also has some good tips.
  • Wreak_Havoc
    Wreak_Havoc Posts: 597
    Options
    I clicked to see what kind of female issue "TMI" was. :ohwell: It was interesting, however, since I just bought a bike and haven't started riding yet. I didn't know why the seat has a hole in the middle.

Ventalation...
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    OK this is my first post here.

I own 2 bikes (Giant Sedona & a Bianchi Alfana) and put in atleast 26-36 miles a week.

Things that helped me

1. Seat Height, (I cannot stress enough on this, it makes you more comfortable and gives more power to the peddels).

2. Bib/Shorts eg. http://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Izumi-Womens-Knicker-Medium/dp/B004EPX45A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335484136&sr=8-1
    Pearl Izumi makes some awesome shorts and bibs for cyclists you will find it in your LBS (local bike store) try on different ones.
    I usually wear mine under my pants/shorts. Make sure you get a female one since the male one will have gel in different places.

3. Saddle (its not called a seat since it is not designed to take your entire weight supposed to be distributed between hands and legs) the one that helped me most was an anotimic one (ones that have a hole in them) eg. http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-RX-Womens-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B000W7K3SA/ref=sr_1_4?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1335484440&sr=1-4
    I spend like 45$ on my seat.

Hope it helps, also I love this book "Ride Your Way Lean" - SELENE YEAGER lot of tips on cycling . Bicycle Magazine site also has some good tips.

Lots of good info here- thanks to everyone! I have a hybrid also and this does sometimes happen to me-- not pain just numbness and uncomfortable. I'm looking for a bike shop to see what recommendations they may have for me in general so my rides are smoother.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the change in seat should help the sensation problems, but for the UTI problem, make sure all your undies and workout clothes are cotton in the crotch. And don't use scented anything down there.

Yes on no scented stuff...no no no no no to cotton...cotton absorbs moisture and is a breeding ground for lovely things like yeast. Your best bet for bottoms would be a padded cycling short and NO panties. Undies have seams that will chafe the heck out of you and are not designed for riding.

A different saddle is a good idea. Don't be afraid of a narrower, firmer saddle. Smooshy saddles are bad news. Your sit bones displace that squishy stuff, then it ends up jammed forward, into your girl parts. A firmer saddle will make your butt hurt, temporarily. Eventually your sit bones toughen-up. Butt pain is good--crotch pain is not good.

A cut-out on a saddle can be very helpful, but, again...if you are on a soft saddle with a cut-out all that padding is likely to end up smooshed over the cut-out, rendering it useless.

I personally have not had great luck with cut-outs. What I really like is the sort of dent in the front of Bontrager's InForm Affinity saddles. They also come in specific widths to match your sit bones. If you go to a Trek dealer they can have you sit on a special pad that takes this measurement.

Also, those noseless saddles are bad news. They reduce your lateral control of the bike. Most people don't realize how much they use their thighs to control/steer a bike.
  • zoom2
    Options

Ventalation...

Ummm...no.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    These are common problems in bike riding. One bike seat may work for one person and not another. Too much padding is just as bad as too little. You may do better with an anatomical bike seat.

Take Zoom2's advice. It's valid.
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice. I think I sit more forward to reduce sit bone pain, because when I get it, I cannot ride again for like a week. I will look into some of the ideas I got here. First things first, I am going to check the height of my seat. Start out small and then go from there.
  • zoom2
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice. I think I sit more forward to reduce sit bone pain, because when I get it, I cannot ride again for like a week.

The more you ride, the faster you will toughen your butt up. I have friends who only ride in the Summer. Every Spring they go through a month of sore butt. I ride year-round...mostly indoors during the Winter. I haven't had sore sit bones in years, not even after riding across the state of MI in one day, last Summer (on a rock hard saddle). It's worth it to endure that pain for a few weeks, really.
  • RedSunshine365
    RedSunshine365 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Zoom2's advice is spot on.

If you are riding a bike that is not women's specific, it more than likely came with a saddle that is too narrow for you, especially given the more upright, slower pace you are currently doing. Go to a shop that'll let you try out different saddles.

As far as UTI's...definitely go commando and wear a good pair of bike shorts. The chamois is designed to wick away moisture and breathe while also providing a bit more cushion on your sit bones. bike shorts should be tight...if they are too big, the chamois can "tent" or "pucker" and cause problems, too. Cotton is just a recipe for disaster.

If you're too shy to go commando or too shy to wear lycra, I recommend trying the bike "boxer" shorts - they are like biking shorts with a chamois that you'd wear under another pair of loose shorts. I wear them under my running tights when riding in colder weather.

Good luck and don't be afraid to try out different saddles and find a bike shop that'll fit you on your bike. I hope things get better for you!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

snicker snicker - Nuts Bliss cream seems more like a male thing... Love the name. :laugh: :blushing:
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the change in seat should help the sensation problems, but for the UTI problem, make sure all your undies and workout clothes are cotton in the crotch. And don't use scented anything down there.

Yes on no scented stuff...no no no no no to cotton...cotton absorbs moisture and is a breeding ground for lovely things like yeast. Your best bet for bottoms would be a padded cycling short and NO panties.

Well you use cotton and then bleach the hell out of it. Guess I should have mentioned that.
  • sendit
    sendit Posts: 28
    Options
    Uwvo6.jpg
  • zoom2
    Options

snicker snicker - Nuts Bliss cream seems more like a male thing... Love the name. :laugh: :blushing:

It's actually the female-specific version of DZ Nutz, created by pro cyclist Dave Zabriskie (a really pervy dude, from the stories I've read). I tried a sample of the Bliss...I didn't like it, personally. I had a bad reaction to *something* in it. Not sure what. I know LOTS of women who love it, though. I've been much happier with a chamois butter called "That Butt Stuff." I usually order it from Amazon.com.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have to tip the front of my seat down, and then ride on the back of the seat,... earlier this month we did the Virginia Creeper trail (about 70 miles after side trips) and the second day I loosened my seat so I could sit on one side or the other... I kind of twist it and sit on one pelvic protuberance or the other and rotate about once an hour (when you are on the bike 18 hrs between two days.... you have to do something!)