In search of Low Cal Hot Wings....

Options
So football season will be here before I know it and what goes best with football?? Hot wings of course!!! Does anyone know any low calorie hot wing recipes that aren't "Boneless Hot Wings" which is just chicken breast cut into small pieces of chicken... I always make my own but I don't even want to think about how many calories are in my normal wings...

Replies

• Sb65513n
    Sb65513n Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bake em takes away a lot of calories and if I remember correctly I used I can't believe it's not butter frozen wings and franks that was zero calories. It was pretty good and not bad on the waist.
  • lincolnpalmer
    lincolnpalmer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you substitute grilled chicken for the wings, it should take care of most the fat problem and be a really good source of protein. Just watch the sauce. Most hot sauces don't have a lot of calories because they are vinegar based, but if you have a recipe with a ton of sugar, it could up the count in a hurry. Good luck!
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    If you substitute grilled chicken for the wings, it should take care of most the fat problem and be a really good source of protein. Just watch the sauce. Most hot sauces don't have a lot of calories because they are vinegar based, but if you have a recipe with a ton of sugar, it could up the count in a hurry. Good luck!

Thats a really good idea.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Chili is a good game day food.
  • lincolnpalmer
    lincolnpalmer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh, sorry. I read that wrong. I thought you said you wanted to substitute chicken breast.

Sauce still applies. Just don't deep fry or overindulge and you'll be fine! You could try grilling them too! That might actually be really good.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Experiment with Cayenne Pepper. You could mix it with something like I Cant Believe It's Not Butter Light and brush it lightly on each wing and then bake it instead of hot sauce. It'll be plenty spicy so don't use too much but it will have a lot less sodium, sugar, etc.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Men's Health magazine has some good wing recipes. There's one for guiltless wings. Most wings are fried, which is what makes them not as healthy.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    We used to grill them over charcoal and remove most of the skin. Still yummy. :) These days I get my kicks from shredded buffalo chicken sandwiches. :)
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Cholula sauce
  • kimchi84
    kimchi84 Posts: 56
    Options
    you should boiled the wing first then bake it under really high heat and toss it with your favorite wing sauce :) btw heres a really good recipe http://divascancook.com/2012/01/baked-buffalo-wings-recipe.html
  • Tlopez428
    Tlopez428 Posts: 115
    Options
    If you get bigger hot wings apposed to really small ones, you can remove the skin and bake them until they are done. Then toss them in Frank's wing sauce. I like seasoning my chicken with some lemon pepper and cayenne pepper to add a little zing and extra heat. Or you can even leave the skin on and boil them first to get rid of some of the fat in the skin and then bake them until cripsy and toss in wing sauce. Hope this helps:)
  • maybebaby40
    Options
    Was looking for recipes for me and found this

Healthier Hot Wings (Chef Meg Approved)
    Nutrition Info
    Calories: 210.6
    Fat: 2.7g
    Carbohydrates: 16.0g
    Protein: 29.3g
    Ingredients1/3 c whole-wheat bread crumbs
    8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-size chunks
    2 T hot sauce
    1 t onion powder
    1 t garlic powder
    1 t cayenne pepper
    1 t black pepper

Directions
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place bread crumbs in a pie pan, add seasonings and mix well. Place chicken pieces in a separate dish, and cover and toss with hot sauce. Spray a sheet pan with nonstick spray. Give each piece of chicken a shake, and then coat it evenly with the crumbs. Use one hand for the wet ingredients and one for the wet ingredients so that the bread crumbs will not clump. Place the chicken on the sheet pan. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn over . Flip and bake for an additional 7-8 minutes or until fully cooked. Serve with more hot sauce, if desired, or bleu cheese dressing. (Nutrition info not included!) Don't forget the celery!
  • brittanynlr
    Options
    You guys are all awesome!!! So many ideas to try.. I think I am going to experiment between now and then until I find the perfect Low Calorie Wing!
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    So football season will be here before I know it and what goes best with football?? Hot wings of course!!! Does anyone know any low calorie hot wing recipes that aren't "Boneless Hot Wings" which is just chicken breast cut into small pieces of chicken... I always make my own but I don't even want to think about how many calories are in my normal wings...

Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe – 3 Points + :devil:

buffalo-wings.jpg

Weight Watchers Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe

Ingredients:
    - 1 spray olive oil cooking spray, or enough to coat sheet
    - 12 oz uncooked skinless chicken wings
    - 1 1/4 oz Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix, or similar product
    - 1 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
    - 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    - 2 tbsp blue cheese, or gorgonzola, crumbled
    - 2 tbsp fat-free skim milk
    - 4 medium stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
    Dip wings in Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. Then, place chicken wings in a zip-close plastic bag, add taco seasoning, seal bag and shake to coat. Transfer wings to prepared baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 18 to 20 minutes.
    Meanwhile, to prepare dip, whisk together sour cream, cheese and milk.
    Serve wings with dip and celery on the side. Recipe makes 4 servings.

Entire recipe makes 4 servings
    Serving size is 3 wings, 3 tablespoons of dip and 1 celery stalk
    Each serving = 3 Points +

PER SERVING: 150 calories; 4g fat; 0g carbohydrates; 22g protein; 0g fiber
  • Stacyd73
    Stacyd73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • icerafta
    icerafta Posts: 38
    Options
    The idea of substituting chicken breasts for wings is a great idea..A lot of the fat is in the skin, so boneless and skinless is the way to go. I gave up buffalo wings a while back but I am always up to the challenge of re-creating our favorite munchies to be lower in fat and or sodium. So far, I have been using Asian-sesame salad dressing as a flavor enhanser in a lot of my chicken dishes. It is only 35 calories fer tablespoon and it goes a looong way. Try a little worchestershire in your cottage cheese, mmmmmm.