pickles?

Options
im pretty much addicted to dill pickles. ive looked up everything i can about them and they are pretty much a super healthy snack.... besides the salt. is anyone else addicted to pickles? what do you do about the salt? is it REALLY that much salt?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    As long as you are entering them in your diary, then you can see how your sodium balances out at the end of the day.
    If you like them and they fit into an overall healthy diet, then go for it!
  • jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i will eat about 7 whole pickles. not the GIANT ones but the normal ones. it makes my sodium equal like 5000 plus for the day. im not giving them up because 1 pickle is only 10 calories and they are filling. just curious if anyone else likes them and what they do about the sodium. i drink ALOT of water. like 9-12 cups a day
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    haha im not, but my kids are constanly asking for them...so i usually help myself to one (or more with crackers, cheees and keibalsa, LOL) as a matter of fact i ate on and logged it into my breakfast food this morning while i was packing my 4yr old school lunch, hahah! have you ever tried cucumber sliced and soaked in little bit of vinegar with pepper? its good, my grandma used to serve it as a side out at camp with our lunches or whatever. u can add onion too, yum. ALSO this... im gonna post it, but its fing so yummmy! its got a little sour hot thing going on that might help and you can eat it alon or with crackers, on salad, whatever! it makes a ton and it friggin amazing! http://www.evernewrecipes.com/appetizers/poor-mans-caviar-dip-recipe.html
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Options
    I love them too! But yes they are huge on sodioum, and they need to be cos well...they are pickled!

I still eat them regularly but I must admit I do watch how much I eat of them now, just because since lowering my sodium intake I feel so much better (and here I was thinking it was all carbs making me bloated...bah!).

But hey - they are better than reaching for a bag of chips!
  • jbug5j
    Options
    okay that looks delicious! i might have to try that :)
  • jbug5j
    Options
    im having alot of issues with controling my sodium intake. i crave it (salty foods) all the time! i read that might mean a vitamin deficiancy but i have no idea.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Try making your own! Pickling is actually really easy; I usually make pickled red onions every year for Thanksgiving/Xmas (they go great with turkey). I found a salt-free dill pickle recipe for you; I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth a shot!
    http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/NoSaltDillPickles.htm
  • jbug5j
    Options
    sweet! i have actually been looking for low sodium pickles. thank you! :)
  • skar1it
    skar1it Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    you are not alone! i love pickles too =) and yes they are high in sodium but as with most things, they are good in moderation.
  • tjones0927
    tjones0927 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Pickles have long been my favorite food....I could and have literally, ordered a veggie at Subway with bread, pickles, and oil and vinegar....lol!
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    I love the little pickles!! Crunchy, salty, perfect crave snack!
  • jbug5j
    Options
    Pickles have long been my favorite food....I could and have literally, ordered a veggie at Subway with bread, pickles, and oil and vinegar....lol!

lol! i actually used to get pickles on my sandwich at subway but one day i subbed cucumber and it was delicious. :) i was pretty proud.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I love the sugar free bread and butter pickles. There are no calories in them. There are 120 mg of sodium per serving. I have eaten a whole jar at once. It tend to focus on the "zero" calories and forget about all the sodium...until my hands and feet start to swell!!
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have always loved dill pickles. Plus I'm a saltaholic. Having said that, I don't have a sweet tooth at all so if I have a choice of something to eat late at night or for a snack, I'll choose a pickle over sweets anytime. Yes it has alot of sodium but its gotta be better than a piece of cake or bowl of ice cream. I usually have one large pickle (Mt. Olive preferably) before I go to bed. Oh well....
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    Oh my gosh I loveee pickles! I eat them whenever I feel like it because I don't really watch my sodium (although I probably should). And I'm probably going to keep eating them because they're so good and low cal
  • lisabruce12
    lisabruce12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am definitely addicted to pickles. So bad that once I eat ALL of the pickles ( I don't like to share them lol) I actually drink the juice...YUM!
  • jbug5j
    Options
    I love the sugar free bread and butter pickles. There are no calories in them. There are 120 mg of sodium per serving. I have eaten a whole jar at once. It tend to focus on the "zero" calories and forget about all the sodium...until my hands and feet start to swell!!

this is why i love them because of the low calorie and filling part. the sodium is like an "oops...." lol
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love the Claussen garlic dill slices. I make a small sandwich with one of those a slice of ham and a slice of cheese.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    Damn, now I want a pickle and I have none. :sad:
  • jbug5j
    Options
    I have always loved dill pickles. Plus I'm a saltaholic. Having said that, I don't have a sweet tooth at all so if I have a choice of something to eat late at night or for a snack, I'll choose a pickle over sweets anytime. Yes it has alot of sodium but its gotta be better than a piece of cake or bowl of ice cream. I usually have one large pickle (Mt. Olive preferably) before I go to bed. Oh well....

ive actually considered getting the GIANT picles for a few reasons. the main one being i wont sit with a huge jar of pickles in my lap and i wont eat as much as once. but they are SOOO addicting. also Mt. Olive FTW!!!