protein powder absorption...I guess?

Options

Replies

• KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've had many questions about this very thing, and checked out some different websites. I eventually decided to go with the Dymatize nutrition "Elite" Whey protein isolate. I got a very good price on it, and all the reviews seemed great. I had NO IDEA that the 5 lb size was so BIG ! ! But that's ok, since it tastes good and mixes with water with no clumping. I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase, and have used it for a week. I got the Gourmet Vanilla flavor, and have to say that it's great tasting and has NO added Sucrose, fillers, Maltodextrin, or Aspartame. I'm trying to stay away from the "artificial" sweeteners, as I've had bad physical problems with them (esp. aspartame!) ...

Good luck with your search on this ! !

:smile:
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I use a blender bottle to mix my protein shakes. That eliminates the clumps. A blender also works fine.

Whey protein is available without any flavoring added. That's a good option if you make your own smoothies. You can add your own flavoring and sweetener, or add nothing and pretend you like the taste. :sick:

This^^^

I use Now Foods Whey Protein Isolate
    105 calories
    25g protein
    sugar and carbs are at or less than 1g

that's it, no artificial anything, and it mixes beautifully, I add it to my oatmeal, tomato soup (before cooking, otherwise it will curdle), greek yogurt. Mix it in soymilk and add finely chopped frozen strawberries for my post workout shake.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Our products can be found throughout the United States in close to 10,000 independent natural product and specialty retail stores, gyms, and fitness centers, and several major grocery chain and drug stores. You can also find us at most on-line retailers, as well as throughout the world with current distribution in over 70 countries.

Anyone know of any stores you can buy this in? Specifically, ones that are in Canada? Walmart? Dominion? Sobeys? Colmans? Bulk barn? Costco? Price choppers? Loblas?
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In terms of protein powders, as someone else said it is best to try it yourself. Just get your research done in terms of WHY you want to take protein powders. EG: if its for post workout then get whey and either add dextrose or eat a banana with it. If its for before sleep Casein isnt bad, or if you are trying to gain mass then mass gainers are good too.

Everyone has their preference, whether it is from the taste or whats written on the label at the back. However the most important thing of all is the COST isnt it folks? I suggest (oh here we go) Universal ultra iso whey. I say this not because it tastes super amazing (which it actually does, but STAY CLEAR from cookies and cream) but because of the price. ON gold standard costs approximately $20-30 more than universal but in terms of what it contains its almost identical. Universal costs approximately 61 cents per shake, containing 20 grams of protein and 8x calories with minimal fat and carbs. I believe On gold standard costs about $1 per shake.
  • drdswan
    drdswan Posts: 4
    Options
    It amazing me how negative some people can be. I never said my product was the best nor did I claim it was better then others. All I said was there are many out there and look into them.

New Study shows that different types of protein mixed together after a workout prolong the body’s amino acid (protein) delivery to muscles, increasing the amount of time that your pecks, lats and delts are in their "growth state." This happens because different forms of protein get absorbed by the body at different rates.

So take a look to see what products have three types of protein in them. I will not post what company I am representing, because I am not trying to push the product that I have found works for me, but if you would like some more information message me and we can chat more.

Each to there own !! As long as you find something that works for you that is want is important. I have found what works for me and therefore I am willing to share it with others. I would like to know what is wrong with that. Walmart, Costco, Health food stores, and many other companies advertise their products and I don't see them having people being negative out their ads or putting them down. There is such a thing as freedom of speech, so be negative all you want, but I am not going way I have the right to speak myself.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Again, I repeat - I never once tried to sell my product. I just said there are lots of different ones out there and if you wanted to talk to me about the one I was using to chat with my privately. Take a look at all the other postings. People are naming products and telling them where to get them. Nice they can advertise for large companies that don't do anything for the small person, but take away their money from their own pockets and put it in theirs. Yet when someone is trying to run their own small home bases business they get negative responses. The is BS!!! I hope at some time in your life people put you down for what you are trying to do to make your life better. AGAIN I NEVER ONCE SAID WHAT MY PRODUCT WAS OR YOU HAVE TO BUY IT ! Just replying to a question just like you were but yet I am not being negative about your advice.

If an actual USER of a particular product thinks it has worked for them, and does not benefit from the publicity of it, then I do want to hear about it

The main difference between you and those users at MFP, is that when you recommend Visalus, you have a conflict of interest. (you don't mention the name most of the time, to not get immediately flagged, but your support for it in MFP posts is evident),

How can we trust your comments about the "benefit" of the "3-proteins", etc when you also sell the product?

You ARE trying to sell your product, by the way.
    Otherwise, you would not be posting at several posts the same paragraph about the "3 proteins" and letting people at MFP they can contact you in private, if they want to learn more.

Looking at your profile, is evident you just created it at MFP to be able to post. Sorry, but I will have to report.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I`ve been useing Jillian Michaels whey protein powder and so far I haven`t had any issues with it at all. Its 100cal per scoop not too aweful on carbs and sugar compaired to some other brands I`ve looked at and it blends really well in the majic bullet. I normaly use in right after a heavy lifting day or during Insanity workout days.

I normaly mix it with some ice , almond breeze , and peanut butter and it tastes great

I`m ok with the vanilla flavor but prefer the chocolate and its only around 10.00 at most all walmarts

ETA-
    I have also mixed alittle in with morning coffee and it mixed really well with just a spoon as well
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

New Study shows that different types of protein mixed together after a workout prolong the body’s amino acid (protein) delivery to muscles, increasing the amount of time that your pecks, lats and delts are in their "growth state." This happens because different forms of protein get absorbed by the body at different rates.

You mentioned this "study" in another thread, yet failed to answer a question asking for references to it. Care to provide some actual details, or are you just spouting marketing hype?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I`ve been useing Jillian Michaels whey protein powder and so far I haven`t had any issues with it at all. Its 100cal per scoop not too aweful on carbs and sugar compaired to some other brands I`ve looked at and it blends really well in the majic bullet. I normaly use in right after a heavy lifting day or during Insanity workout days.

I normaly mix it with some ice , almond breeze , and peanut butter and it tastes great

I`m ok with the vanilla flavor but prefer the chocolate and its only around 10.00 at most all walmarts

ETA-
    I have also mixed alittle in with morning coffee and it mixed really well with just a spoon as well
    Mmmm protein coffee lol
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    bump 4 later
  • CoderGal
    Options

You mentioned this "study" in another thread, yet failed to answer a question asking for references to it. Care to provide some actual details, or are you just spouting marketing hype?
    They capitalize it each time. I think "New Study" is a person or company lol. Doesnt sound like something coming from an unbiased study by a doctorate.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I won't claim to know anything about the benefits of using protein powder while losing weight. I'm using it on days that I lift weights because I'm wanting to work on my lean muscle mass and keep my arms and legs from turning into twigs while I'm dropping pounds. I bought the "Frosty Chocolate Pure Protein" from Walmart and I like it overall. However, if you ever heard the things about feeling bloated afterwards.....believe it. It's not a big deal but I've found the product that I'm using makes me feel like a bloated whale for an hour or so afterwards. After that, all is good though. I'm probably going to try and different product on the next go around.

Back to the beginning, I only use the protein powder on days that I lift because I am specifically working on my lean muscle mass.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I won't claim to know anything about the benefits of using protein powder while losing weight. I'm using it on days that I lift weights because I'm wanting to work on my lean muscle mass and keep my arms and legs from turning into twigs while I'm dropping pounds. I bought the "Frosty Chocolate Pure Protein" from Walmart and I like it overall. However, if you ever heard the things about feeling bloated afterwards.....believe it. It's not a big deal but I've found the product that I'm using makes me feel like a bloated whale for an hour or so afterwards. After that, all is good though. I'm probably going to try and different product on the next go around.

Back to the beginning, I only use the protein powder on days that I lift because I am specifically working on my lean muscle mass.
    I'm not trying to loose weight :) Just want some protein around when i dont feel like cooking
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use Now Sports Pea Protein. I pay about $18 for a 2lb tub (27 scoops)

Per Scoop:
    130 cals
    2g fat
    1g carb

It doesn't have any flavors, but I am OK with that, since I usually mix mine with skim milk and a fruit of some kind. I use mostly for the considerably lower amount of carbs and it's pretty cheap in comparison to most other powders. It digests super easy and gives my an energy kick pretty quickly after drinking, I use it post workout.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    bump
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    i love Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey in the Double Rich Chocolate flavor. it mixes well and tastes great with regular milk, soy, almond and coconut (and i can even drink it just with water).

per scoop:

24g protein
    120 calories
    3g carbs
    1g sugar

This is the one I use, I love Optimum Nutrition! It does taste really nice and has no problems blending. I just mix it with water, but you can have it with milk too (although I'd use a blender for that) With water, it mixes easily with just a fork by hand, milk you'll just get clumps doing it that way, but in the blender it comes out great, like milkshake!!

Whey = Fast absorbing. People mainly use this after a workout, or first thing in the morning.
    Casein = Slow absorbing. People mainly use this either between meals or (mostly) before going to sleep.

Both have their benefits, I personally use whey as with Optimum nutrition there are a wider range of flavours with whey, it's slightly cheaper, and is better with water (Casein tastes better with milk)
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Note: It would be nice that those giving the scoop info to give the size of the scoop as they can be different sizes (usually it's listed in grams). Also, it'd be nice to know where you bought yours :)
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use Now Sports Pea Protein. I pay about $18 for a 2lb tub (27 scoops)

Per Scoop:
    130 cals
    2g fat
    1g carb

It doesn't have any flavors, but I am OK with that, since I usually mix mine with skim milk and a fruit of some kind. I use mostly for the considerably lower amount of carbs and it's pretty cheap in comparison to most other powders. It digests super easy and gives my an energy kick pretty quickly after drinking, I use it post workout.

Each scoop is 33 grams, and I usually get mine off of Amazon. There is also a health food store where I live that sells it, in case I forget to order before I run out. I also forgot to mention there is 28 grams of protein per scoop.

(Sorry, I didn't think to mention the scoop size.)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Note: It would be nice that those giving the scoop info to give the size of the scoop as they can be different sizes (usually it's listed in grams). Also, it'd be nice to know where you bought yours :)

ON Gold Standard 100% - 'serving' is a rounded scoop = 29.4g
    Calories: 120
    Fat: 1g
    Carbs: 3g
    Protein: 24g
    For the vanilla ice cream one. The extreme milk chocolate one has 130g - Fat is 1.5g, Carbs are 4g and protein is 24g

I got mine from GNC (sorry! - they were on sale) but I think a lot of folks get theirs from Amazon