Is it possible to lose 50lbs in 10 months SAFELY?

Options
I am approx 50lbs overweight and I would love to lose this by March 2013 as I am getting married then. I want to do this safely and I have started exercising recently as I know this will be beneficial for me. I want this to be a lifestyle change more than a diet. MFP has allocated me 1200 cals (net) and I weigh 192lbs now. I lead a busy life with work however I want to incorporate the exercise in my daily routine. I have run two mornings this week before going to work and I want to continue this. I know what food I should and shouldn't be eating, my problem is though the bad food is my favourite! Am I being realistic about losing 50lbs in 10 months or should I set my heart on a lower weight loss figure?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1.25 lbs per week is not a drastic rate of loss. 1-2 lbs/week is often said to be "healthy" by luminaries like the Mayo clinic.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Success of losing 50 pounds in less (with pics):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/559630-50lbs-down-in-13-weeks
  • VenomousDuck
    Options
    i am down over 80 in 8 months. And I am monitored by a Dr monthly and am very healthy.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    It depends on how big you are to start with. Just over 1lb a week isn't a lot. 2lb is considered healthy. I've lost 75lbs in eight.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It can be done with hard work and determination. I've lost 65lbs in 11 months, I'm at my goal now and luckily never hit a plateau. I've got muscles and didn't starve either! Promise!!
  • mjvasko
    mjvasko Posts: 37
    Options
    Down 23 pounds in 80 days of working out... I'm sure it's doable... keeping it off might be a challenge... will be for me ;)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do this. I lost 55 pounds in four months after having my babies.
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did that two years ago with WW!
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i have lost 62lbs over the last 11months and i feel i did it safely and i now eat more than i ever have! iv never over this time eaten less than 1250 cals and i usually eat back all or half my exercise cals. i havent really changed my diet that much either iv just added exercise into my life style and as iv lost more iv lowered my exercise so its not as extreme anymore,

good luck!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I am approx 50lbs overweight and I would love to lose this by March 2013 as I am getting married then. I want to do this safely and I have started exercising recently as I know this will be beneficial for me. I want this to be a lifestyle change more than a diet. MFP has allocated me 1200 cals (net) and I weigh 192lbs now. I lead a busy life with work however I want to incorporate the exercise in my daily routine. I have run two mornings this week before going to work and I want to continue this. I know what food I should and shouldn't be eating, my problem is though the bad food is my favourite! Am I being realistic about losing 50lbs in 10 months or should I set my heart on a lower weight loss figure?

with 50lbs to lose you should be aiming for 1-1.5lbs per week, 25lbs to go 1lbs per week, 15lbs to go 0.5lbs per week.
    In just under a year thats an average of 1lb a week so very do-able in a healthy way.

What is your goal set at currently, and what is your activity level? Im only 10lbs more than you and I get 1950 total / 1600 net and am losing 1-1.5 per week. If you use MFP guidlines, the calorie allowance is NET, so make sure you eat back most of your exercise cals. Eating less doesnt necessarily mean losing more, you need to fuel your body properly especially if you are exercising.

Bad food is ok, just in moderation, make the rest of your diary healthy and it will balance out. I have a takeaway and a nice coffee & cake every week, and it all fits into my macros and hasnt affected my loss.
    Its easier to get all your macros right if you plan out your diary the night before, then you can adjust meals as needed to suit your allowances and use snacks to make up any shortages, rather than just randomly choosing a lunch and realising you have say NO carbs left for dinner!

Also try to add some heavy weight training, that will help you lose more inches and not end up 'skinnyfat', so you will look fabulous on your wedding day x