would it be a good idea to do only weights and not cardio?

Options
is it unhealthy to do just strength training and no cardio? does strength training help with circulation? I'm thinking of making my exercise routine based soley on strength training, the reason being is I'm trying to eat more calories and eating back calories from cardio may be too much. my metabolism has been pretty low for a couple ears now and I would like to dedicate my time on strength training to build muscle and help my metabolism and hopefully move me off the plateau I've been having for 6 months..

is this healthy? or should I try to do some cardio

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Honestly I challenge anyone to lift heavy weights and not get puffed and out of breath.

You shouldn't have an issue.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've seen weight / resistance only training advocated for fat loss, yes.

You'll use some calories but not like flogging yourself on a treadmill for an hour.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you lift weights. If you are doing a set of 60% of your 1 rep max then taking a 5 minute break, then you'd should probably do cardio.

To maximize results you should lift heavier with less rests and preferably in a circuit. That way you stress your heart and your muscles at the same time.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You could, but I don't suggest it. You don't have to go nuts with cardio. Just throw in some burpees or running mans or mountain climbers or something in between your weight circuits. Or, if you want to burn as many calories as possible without doing any cardio at all, I would do more than one weight thing at a time - squats with shoulder press, lunges with bicep curls, etc.
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    as I understand an am doing is weights everyother day and a half hour on the exercise bike or 30 min brisk walk down the road or up through the woods is not that hard to fit in on the other days.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I met with a personal trainer last night and she stated that in order to maximize your workouts and get the full impact of a workout, its good to mix up cardio with strength training. The muscles you work will get used to your routine and that can contribute to plateaus. By changing your routine, you are preventing your body from getting accustomed to just the strength training and amping it up with cardio.
  • aido1ce
    aido1ce Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    if you do heavy enough weights with enough reps and short enough rests, you can get your heart rate up to about 60-75% which is enough for weight loss. doctors recommend to have at least 150 minutes of cardiovascular work a week to decrease risk of heart problems etc etc.

it's not the BEST for calorie burn. but it's great to raising your BMR.

why don't you want to do cardio? if it's because it gets uncomfortable really quickly it might be because it's actually something you need to work on to be healthy. try some circuit training that has weights but can still keep your heart rate up.