50 Shades of Grey

Options
13»

Replies

• blmr85
    blmr85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    On my "to read" list. glad to see so many people like it!
  • collteach328
    collteach328 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I read them all and have mixed feelings. The story itself was ok; not great. The main characters were irritating to me. And the sex scenes got boring. I started skipping them because it was the same thing over and over.

This is how I felt. The plot idea was actually very good, but the writing was pretty terrible. The thing that annoyed me most was when Christian would say "Laters baby". A high-powered CEO who happens to be a dominant would NOT say that. I don't know anyone older than 15 who would... :)
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    If tedious and poorly written = AMAZING, then it is quite amazing indeed.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I want to read it. I've been looking around for it, but have been having trouble finding it. I'll probably order it soon.
  • I_like_me_now
    Options
    I feel dirty when I'm reading it at the park while my kids play. :laugh:

I got a little lost while reading it on the bus and I am sure you could tell I was more than a little....excited....
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am reading them and I have to say three things niggle me.

1. they are VERY repetitive - "foil packet" "inner goddess" - blah blah blah.

2. there is a general impression, throughout book 2 that Christian is only kinky because he is damaged, this seems pretty kink negative to me

3. What kink there is, is very, very tame. A bit of spanking and some love eggs, really! I do that most weeknights. :-P

I'll finish them, because i am interested to see if the kink-negativity works itself out, but I have a horrid feeling that they will marry, have children and live vanilla for evermore.

I have not read the books but the dreaded "vanilla" life scares me enough not to read them.:wink:
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm about half-way through book 1. There are a few things that bug me, but overall it's a good read so far. I get tired of "down there" and I can't stand when it's referred to as her "sex"...I've seen it in a few books before this one and I'm just not a fan. I also can't fathom that a 21 year old girl has never pleasured herself or even been turned on! Kind of ridiculous...
  • MrsJaimeW
    MrsJaimeW Posts: 54
    Options
    I loved all 3.. didn't take them too seriously, just enjoyed the ride :) and because I spent so much time talking about these books, my husband has started reading the first one. Cant wait to see what he thinks.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What's annoying about it is the way that it is written. To an extent, I am enjoying the books BUT there are times when I shake my head and roll my eyes.
    [/quote]

I agree fav..if the author talks about Ana "flushing" one more time I might throw my nook at the wall. However..my boyfriend likes me reading it cause he gets more than usual from me :)
  • micheleboone
    Options
    Anyone reading this series? I am and I'm just starting Book 2. Let's discuss.......this book is AMAZING!!!!

Never heard of this author / book....goggled it, ordered it...now waiting
  • MrsInmon
    MrsInmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Now I am on book 3, taking it slow since I read the first two a little too fast.

My husband, last night, suggested we watch Secretary. It bothered me that his name was Mr. Grey just like in the book. She was the one with the baggage, in the movie but it was a little too similar to the books.

Anyone else seen that movie, Secretary, and think it's just too similar to the books? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274812/
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I 'll wait for NETFLIX, unless the book has lots of pics and or color by# , Im out-Ty
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There's a video of Ellen Degeneres "narrating" this book... HILARIOUS! Gonna get the book soon.. can't wait to read it!
  • Llyrian
    Llyrian Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The terrible prose hurts my brain. There is far better erotica out there.

Yes, it is very Twilight-esque... because it originally started off as Twilight fanfic. It was rewritten to remove the copyright infringement and supernatural, then flesh it out before publishing.

Edit: Also, I love Secretary. The original novel isn't quite the same as the movie though.
  • Nastasha915
    Nastasha915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A lot of people found the book as a kind of slam on feminism because of the S&M relationship portrayed in the book. I didn't find it offensive in that way. The whole point of the women's rights movement was that we, as females, have the choice of designing our lives the way we see fit. But I was annoyed that she was attempting to do something so far out of her comfort zone in order to keep a man around. Also, the way they speak to each other is ridiculous and unnatural. People don't talk that way and I found it distracting. With that being said, it's not the kind of book that should be over-analyzed. I'm on the third book right now.