How long to a mile?

Options
How long did you have to train before you could run a mile without stopping? I feel like I'm getting fairly fit, but running is challenging in a whole new way! I really want to conquer this but I need some motivation - tell me that it gets easier?! And how long until you started enjoying a run?

Replies

• zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you keep going out 3-4 times per week, you should be able to do it pretty quickly. It absolutely does get easier. When I started a few years ago, I ran a 14 minute mile (lots of walking). In 2 weeks I am running a 10k (6.1 miles) for the 3rd time, and I am training hard to get my time down below 11 min/mile. I am also training for my first half marathon in October.

The thing is, you have to keep going out and running. If you don't, the progress will be very slow. I wasn't consistent when I started and it seemed like it took forever. I followed the couch to 5k plan first, and then moved on to the Hal Higdon plans for novice 5k, which I personally really like.
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks zombie girlie! I'm glad to know that frequency matters because I have a tendency to avoid hard stuff :) I'll push myself to run 3-4 times a week so I can notice improvement and stay motivated. Thanks again for your encouragement!
  • cpldjski
    cpldjski Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You should look up the C25K program. One of the goals I originally made for myself was to be able to run a mile without stopping. Thanks to this program, I am up to 2.75 without stopping. I'm not fast, but I keep going. I am in Wek 8 of the 9 Week program. I can't wait to finish. I still don't enjoy running, but the feeling when I am done is great. I usually try to run every other day and that seems to be good.

Good luck to you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think about 3-4 weeks into Couch to 5k, I was able to run a mile and a quarter. When I first started, I couldn't run a quarter of a mile. :smile:
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I would say it was about 5 weeks into the C25K program that I could run a mile without stopping. I believe it was the 20 minute run when I first accomplished a mile, because even now I am only running a 14 minute mile...LOL But the mileage gets easier as you build endurance. I am by no means fast...in fact, I'm a pretty slow jogger..but I hang in there and keep working on it.
  • Glowbee
    Glowbee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner runner, and my Husband, who has been running for years, took me out for a run and offered me some EXTREMELY good advice.

I started out at a run, and after a quarter mile, was huffing, puffing, red faced, and dying. I walked. When I caught my breath again, I started to run again. He looked at me and asked me, "What are you doing..?" "Running!" I said. He stopped me and gave me gentle advice. "Go slow. Keep a pace that you can maintain, but don't stop.. speed will come with time."

Thus I began my "Granny Jogging" It was humiliating, but by the end of my first week of running, I could "run" 3 miles without stopping.

It's been one month.. and I can jog 6 miles without stopping, and my speed has increased. I actually do look like I'm running now.. though I am still at a casual pace.

This was LIBERATING. My breathing is phenomenal, I get bursts of energy in my runs where I can really run, and I LIKE going for my runs now.

I'm running my first 8k tomorrow, and I'm not worried because I know I can always change my pace, maintain it, and run it from start to finish.

Oh, and one last thing.. something I tell myself to keep going is, "No matter how much your leg muscles are screaming, don't listen. Listen to your breathing. If you are still breathing well, you can keep going!" It's been a great mantra to keep me going.

So the answer to your question is: RIGHT NOW!! :D

I hope this helps :)
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I went from having a hard time walking a couple miles to running them since about the beginning of February, but I'd say what others have mentioned - probably 5-6 weeks to running 1+ miles if you are consistent with it. Definitely less if you're already in decent shape, which I wasn't! I would get out of breath climbing a single flight of stairs in mid-January, and last week I ran about 2.5 miles straight on a local trail. I've done more (5k) on the treadmill, but treadmill and outside are two different animals!
  • tlao2427
    tlao2427 Posts: 6
    Options
    Download the couch to 5k. It took me about three weeks following the program. Now i did 2 moiles in twenty minutes. First time today in seven years that I ran it.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Oh, and one last thing.. something I tell myself to keep going is, "No matter how much your leg muscles are screaming, don't listen. Listen to your breathing. If you are still breathing well, you can keep going!" It's been a great mantra to keep me going.
    Great advice from your hubby! And I wanted to add to the breathing thing. It is never my legs that give me trouble, it's my breathing. When I run outdoors, I'm always thinking "slow and steady" because the tendency is to start out fast and then crap out after a couple minutes. Start out slow...you can always go faster, but if you wipe yourself out setting a fast pace initially it's all over pretty quickly!