Light headed and weak/shaky following hard lifting?

Options
I searched for this, but didn't find anything, so I thought I'd ask, because I'm not sure if this is a result of lifting too heavily or if I need to see a doctor.

I did day 1 of NROLW the day before yesterday. Obviously I have needed to hold on to the handicap rails to go to the bathroom and have been moving at the slowest rate possible because I am so sore, but I have also been severely light headed and very weak and shaky. I have eaten PLENTY of food, so that's not it.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The more tired I am, the more it happens to me. It's also probably your CNS freaking out about what you just did to it. Does it go away with a little food and rest?
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had a "rest" day yesterday (which is when it started) and haven't worked out since (was planning on going after work, even though I can still barely move), but it's been after I eat. Like I ate about 3 hours ago and the shakiness and sweats are gone, but I'm still slightly light headed and a little disoriented. Last night it was AWFUL.

My coworker thinks it might be hypoglycemia. About a month ago I had a full blood panel done and I was perfect. I rarely get sick and I have the resting heart rate of a rockstar (56). I just don't know and it seems odd that it started immediately after working harder than I ever had (muscle-wise). I'm more of an endurance girl.

I was hoping it was common, so I would feel better about it happening, lol.

Thank you, though. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yeah, that sounds bad...I do new rules, and admittedly day 1 kicked me in the *kitten*...but what you have going on is way different, especially if it's the next day and you've eaten. go get checked out just to see what you can do to combat it
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely familiar with New Rules For... but any type of heavy (maximal strength) lifting does not only engage your muscle fibers differently but it also engages your nervous system (CNS) to a whole new level. If you're tired, fatigued, undernourished for the day, you can really run your body down quickly this way.

On the other hand you may want to go get checked out by your doctor for hypoglycemia or something.
  • supermum123
    Options
    did u feel sick as well? it happened to me once after a workout session at the gym. I had just lifted weights and did some running on the treadmill and I started to feel sick shaky and light headed and then I fainted for a couple of minutes. The ambulance was called. They said it was low blood sugar......It wasin the days when I thought it was good to exercise on an empty stomach! :embarassed:
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    could be Rhabdo... you worked out too hard on weights...you gotta take it slow girl !
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I will be the first to admit I'm a novice weight lifter (1-2/week with my fiance). He always comments how I don't breathe while I'm lifting. The more I paid attention to it, the more regulated it was. That could be (one of few) possible reasons why you're not feeling well?
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't be THAT sore either - sounds like you overdid it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Well, day 1 of lifting weights is going to kick your *kitten* hardcore. The first day I worked out I had to take a full week off because I was so sore. I couldn't actually lift my arms over my head to wash my hair in the shower. It was that bad. It gets better quickly though. 2nd time I worked out I was sore for 2-3 days and then the 3rd time I was just sore a bit the next day.

As far as lightheaded, disorientation, shakiness and sweating goes, these are all prime symptoms of low blood sugar. I know because if I do too much cardio without eating enough I have the same problem - but only immediately afterwards. A little sugar clears it up immediately. But to have that happen 2 days later? I'd see a doctor. There's no way your blood sugar can't have recovered by now, unless you haven't been eating anything (and you say you have - make sure it's enough as your body needs nutrients to recover). Soreness and maybe a little shakiness is normal after just starting to workout, but the other symptoms are not.
  • imnotyourpal
    Options
    Thank you guys. I'm going to wait a couple of days and if it doesn't stop, I'll go to the Dr. It just scared me a bit (especially last night). It was manageable today.....you know....sit down, wait it out. I really did think that it was just a result of pushing myself too hard, but I've been this sore before. I'm not new to it (it's just been a loooooong time).

Also, I may not have been as hydrated as I should, but certainly no less than any other days that I don't do cardio.

Thank you so much for all of your input. I sincerely appreciate it.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    it is possible that you stimulated your vagal nerve (a nerve in your chest/abdomen that helps control heart rate)... that would likely only affect you for THAT day or possibly up to a day later... that can cause the shakiness and light headedness (this is the same nerve you stimulate while trying to have a bowel movement and get light headed and shakey)...

anyways.. I highly recommend getting it checked out by your dr... there are many things that can cause the symptoms you describe... some of them are simple and nothing much to worry about... like a higher than usual level of lactic acid (caused by muscle break down) up to and including congenital heart or brain issues... could also be something minor like electrolyte imbalances which can cause cardiac disturbances...

make sure that you are following proper form and breathing adequately (NEVER hold your breath!) and drink enough water before during and after a work out to help if it is a lactic acid issue... make sure that you replace electrolytes if you sweat profusely...

I don't know about your specific workout... but these are some issues I have personally encountered... I am prone to lactic acid build up... so I have to drink and STRETCH a lot more than your average person :(

good luck!
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have it happen to me before, and I also tend to have my vision start to black from time to time with elevation changes, a squat, a step, going from sitting-to-standing... While these are not quite the same, I was told both could be a combination of 4 things not enough sleep, pushing myself too hard (so true of me), my glucose spiking then dropping way low, and/or my blood pressure being too low. I was told to get routine sleep of 7-9 hours, drink 9-10 glasses of water a day (I'm horrible at this), to eat protein through out the day (not just 3 meals/day), and to pay attention to myself & pace myself. I have generally low blood sugar, even non-fasting, and fairly low blood pressure - plus I'm not the best at drinking water & I'm stubborn as a mule - so it's not always the greatest of combinations.

Please be careful. Fainting/passing out can happen. And you can actually end up in a fair deal of trouble with it, I've been warned.

Anyway - Hope you feel better!
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is a possibility but it could also just be the shock of lifting heavy. I'm assuming you haven't done a similar program before since you are so sore. I've never had this issue the day after though, damn near fell over a few times after a heavy squat holding my breath though.

I can't help much with the other stuff but for soreness try some light cardio and foam rolling if the other stuff starts to go away and just the soreness is left.
  • imnotyourpal
    Options
    Thanks, again, for your replies.

I did 4 miles on the elliptical this morning at a pretty hard resistance and I feel OK...BUT it seems to be worse after I eat (which I just did, so I should know in a bit). So far today, it's been really mild (it almost feels like I took a vicodin or something....just kind of in a fog) - I feel like it's going away and probably one of the things related to shocking my nervous system or not drinking enough water on the days following the hard lift. *fingers crossed*

I will lift tomorrow and see how things pan out on Sunday.

You guys are awesome and so knowledgeable....Thank you so much. I seriously want to hug you all for your input.
  • cbenzerga
    cbenzerga Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    did u feel sick as well? it happened to me once after a workout session at the gym. I had just lifted weights and did some running on the treadmill and I started to feel sick shaky and light headed and then I fainted for a couple of minutes. The ambulance was called. They said it was low blood sugar......It wasin the days when I thought it was good to exercise on an empty stomach! :embarassed:

This same thing happened to me a couple years ago, it's why I can't lift heavy :( I also have to eat all day long, or I get shaky faint feeling.