Hope it lasts!

Options
Ok, no reason for posting this except for that I feel awesome...for once.
I have cut red meat of out my diet and have been meat free...hee hee :wink: for a week now. I also in that time have stopped eating my usual cinnamon toast in the moring. I have been meditating at night to help unwind and just started a quick meditation in the morning. I'm really bad with sticking to exercising because I get so bored... :yawn: , so when I'm watching TV I fit as many reps of an exercise in that I can. I also hate water so I take sips of water then also.
I suffer from anxieties and depression and during those times (that seem to last forever) I find that I don't leave the house unless I have to and just sit in my bed all day long.
Not exactly sure what snapped me out of it...I think a few things. One of which was being out and catching a glimps of myself in a full length mirror. Typically that would trigger a bout of depression but something in me snapped and I said NO MORE! I know I can't go at this gung ho or I'll quit so I figure if I just add one good thing every week, no matter how small, it will last.
I don't take medication for the anxieties/depression because after my son was born I think my body chemestry changed and I reacted badly to every one I tried. So I've been taking a more natural approach to things. I also think some of the chemicals they put in those things are horrible!
Anywho.....

Anyone else suffer from depresson and what helped snap you out of it?

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Great non-scale victory!!!

I was sunk in depression a couple years ago for awhile...thinking back it is hard to even remember it because it was such a sad, black time. Eventually, with a major intervention from my family, I went to counseling and took prozac for about a year for it. I used to live in Bozeman Montana, a place people say is the most beautiful place on Earth, but I HATED it. It is winter 9 months of the year, which means CONSTANT snow and very limited sunlight. I had a hard time getting out of the house to do anything. I tried to go to the gym and work out, but I grew up on a ranch and have ALWAYS been an outside person so it never stuck.

After awhile counseling and meds had gotten me out of my spiraling funk, and then I moved to another town which is only 2 hours away but is ALOT warmer with less snow and I could get outside and be active. Now that I have been on MFP I try to go for a long hike/walk at least once a week outside in the sunshine and I just LOVE it.

For me, sunlight had alot to do with it. My dad has had the same trouble with depression and my mom got him a SAD lamp and that helps alot.

Being where I am today (FINALLY a happy, and content person) and exercising frequently and feeling better about my body has helped alot. Also eating healthy and not giving my body crap to run on has helped alot too I think.

Remember everyone has their own "cross to bear," and depression is (one of) ours. But it IS manageable and we can overcome it!:happy: Don't let thinking that you have this "problem" become something else to ruminate on. Accept it, and move onwards.

Good luck on your journey. You aren't alone and YOU CAN DO IT!! :flowerforyou:
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    jsapninz...I know they say that seasonal depression isn't valid (depending on who you talk to) but I live in central PA and let me tell you...I can't stand winter. This winter was milde but the past few have been brutal. We got dumped on a few times in a row...feet of snow!
    I plan on moving a little further south once my kids are grown. Maybe even Florida where my dad lives.
    Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Oh, and working on a farm/ranch is hard work! I was a barn manager at a show barn with 21 horses. I also had a horse of my own at the time. I was so happy, and thin! I'm going to find a place to ride hopefully. That is my one true joy. I miss my horse. He died from old age years ago.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says seasonal depression isn't valid is an idiot who has never lived very far north of the equator. Perhaps it isn't DIRECTLY influenced by the short sunlight (although people who understand cicadian rhythms would disagree) and cold weather, but indirectly it most CERTAINLY is because it is hard to be active. I STILL say that people were not designed to live this far north...of course, perhaps scandinavians would disagree, I have mediterannean blood so that might be part of it. But it is SO HARD to want to do anything when the weather is inclement. :grumble: Certainly move south when you are able, I am sure that will help!

I worked at a horse barn too for a few years. Physcial labor IS GOOD for you, to a certain extent. It keeps your head healthy. All this sitting around inside isn't good for us. :sad:

I'm sorry about your horse. My cat died a this year...I had him for 14 years. It was debilitating.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of the changes in your life that may have got you into depression. Be aware and manage them the best you can. It's hard sometimes. But being aware is half the battle.:flowerforyou: