Why can't I stop?

Options
Why can't I stop eating chocolate? Am I just weak when it comes to temptation? When I started MFP last fall I was so good about doing little treats here and there- so ready to see a change in my body and I was ready to be patient. Now (for the last few months) all that has gone to poop. I've totally lost sight of the goal and don't see myself worth it. Then I have these random bursts of motivation where I'm like yah do it for so and so! Do it for blah blah! But then the next morning I wake up and eat chocolate. whHHHhhhy????

This could be a rhetorical question. Maybe just wanted to rant a bit.

Replies

• lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    I dont have an answer (damnit!) but Im in the same boat...to get the craving resolved I bought dark chocolate and mint protein bars :)
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    When it comes to sweets, especially chocolate, try eating them slower. Be more mindful of what you are eating. You will get a much more rewarding experience and won't have the urge to eat more because you will be more aware of how rich it is.

That seems to help me anyway, except when I'm drunk :)
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I definitely have chocolate issues with that Time of Month. My solution: don't keep it around. I won't buy it out of a machine at work. I won't buy a bag of it at the store. Unfortunately, we get all kinds of junk for the kids for holidays. Most of it we don't buy ourselves, but it comes home from school parties/gift bags, etc.

Also, I give in to chocolate in the form of Nutella sometimes. At least it has some protein in it.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Because your BRAIN is fighting you. Brains like patterns, they LIKE the old way of eating, even if it is unhealthy for you.

Will power is like any muscle. You have to strengthen it over time. If you test it too much at once you wear it out and won't have any left over. That's why alot of people yo-yo diet.

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Helenasnan
    Helenasnan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    the sugar (carbs) makes you crave..try snacking on protein instead, soft boiled eggs, lean turkey or chicken....my doc has gotten me off eating a lot of carbs and I feel great....not to mention its helped the scales move the right direction!
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Why can't I stop eating chocolate? Am I just weak when it comes to temptation? When I started MFP last fall I was so good about doing little treats here and there- so ready to see a change in my body and I was ready to be patient. Now (for the last few months) all that has gone to poop. I've totally lost sight of the goal and don't see myself worth it. Then I have these random bursts of motivation where I'm like yah do it for so and so! Do it for blah blah! But then the next morning I wake up and eat chocolate. whHHHhhhy????

This could be a rhetorical question. Maybe just wanted to rant a bit.

We all have trigger foods. Mine is pizza... i just cant stop eating it.... Ill be full from eating pizza and still want to eat more. I literally can't control myself. I therefore try to make sure its not around me as much as possible. I like chocolate too.... what I found helps is going for the high end chocolates. A chocolate truffle from Godiva seem to go a lot further in satisfying my sweet tooth than say a milk chocolate bar.
  • MMD508
    MMD508 Posts: 1
    Options
    Do it for YOURSELF. Don't beat yourself up over Chocolate. Dark chocolate is actually good for you. Everything in motivation. I see nothing wrong in a little daily treat of some chocolate. It may keep you motivated the rest of the day if you know you have that to look forward to. Put only healthy food in your body, excercise, drink 8 glasses of water, reduce your stress and get enough sleep. Think about how you want to look and feel and work towards that goal. Have you ever try Yoga? Anyway I hope I helped. Now can you tell me how to stop eating potatoe chips?! LOL Good Luck.:smile:
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    There's no need for you to stop eating chocolate just because you're trying to lose weight. The key is to eat a lot less of it. In fact, eat as much as you want, with two conditions: (1) if you eat it, log it, and (2) make sure that you're not eating so much that you're blowing your calorie goal for the day. In other words, eat it only in moderation and hold yourself accountable for what you eat.

You should also find some low-calorie ways to get your chocolate fix. For instance, I'm in love with Breyers Triple Chocolate Chip Bars. Yummy and loaded with chocolate flavor, and only 130 calories/6 grams of fat. Here's a link to the product: http://www.breyers.com/product/detail/113877/triple-chocolate-chip-bars

Good luck! :smile:
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Why can't I stop eating chocolate?

Because it tastes good!

Nothing wrong with a little treat... you just have to plan for it! Eat it on a day you are exercising, or get super strict with your diet for the rest of the day and indulge a little.

Mine is Ice Cream... I could eat a half gallon in a sitting - easily! Have some, eat it slow, enjoy it, pat yourself on the back for not over eating, and get back to work on your goal!

It's OK to eat chocolate!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I find that if I have a little bit of a very rich chocolate, I don't need more. I've never been a dark chocolate fan, but I discovered Green & Blacks 85% cocoa dark chocolate and it's amazing. Six little squares is enough for me. I break them off and put them in a bowl and the rest goes back in the cupboard. It's really good with some peanut butter.

And now I don't even like other kinds of chocolate, really.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't keep temptations in the house. Although I have only been doing MFP since Jan2012, I find that I have saved quite a bit of money by not buying the snack foods I loved to eat: granola bars, cookies, waffles, cakes....

I snack on rice cakes with a tsp of maple butter or almond butter. At 75calories, it beats the 300calorie moon pies I used to eat. I am not a fan of dark chocolate, but that is what I'll eat when I have a craving.

I hope I have the same mindset 1 year from now.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've totally lost sight of the goal and don't see myself worth it.
    This is your problem, not chocolate. You need to take the time sit down and reassess your goals. If you can, remind yourself of all the reasons you started aiming for that goal in the first place. If they don't apply anymore, why not? And if that's the case, find some new reasons. As to being worth it, you must know that's not a healthy mindset to have. Of course you're worth being healthy and happy; this is the one life you have to live, and it's not worth spending it feeling bad and guilty.
  • Mikelobov
    Mikelobov Posts: 44
    Options
    The easiest way to not desire it all the time is to continue to have it. A smoker depriving themselves of cigarettes will be far more difficult than "cutting back". So going cold turkey will be rough with a higher chance of bounce back to eating it. You can trust me on this, as I ate more bad food than anyone else I know, and going through large portions wasn't even a challenge., ( I even have a shirt for eating "the heart attack" at a local bar.

"If you are going to eat poorly, make it worth it" Stop eating cheap chocolate. Spend a few more dollars on some really high quality versions and not only will it taste better, but you will be more aware of how much you are spending on this treat. Find out what 1 serving is, and limit yourself to no more than 1 serving a day. Be careful, it's often less than you think it is.

Try eating 1 serving a day for a week or two. The following week only have it every other day, OR half a serving a day. The following week Switch out the chocolate for chocolate flavored granola bars once or twice a week. By the end of the month, you can set yourself for chocolate every once in a while, but the cravings will be lessened. Just remember, you will get cravings, and you will give in sometimes. It's okay, just don't over do it or think it's over after 1 time. Just try to bring it back the next day.

Dieting is about bending not breaking.

Have a wonderful day.
  • sophie428
    sophie428 Posts: 27
    Options
    Because your BRAIN is fighting you. Brains like patterns, they LIKE the old way of eating, even if it is unhealthy for you.

Will power is like any muscle. You have to strengthen it over time. If you test it too much at once you wear it out and won't have any left over. That's why alot of people yo-yo diet.

Slow and steady wins the race.

This. I read the book Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen. Although it is very repetitive and the author’s writing style can be annoying, I found the information and techniques really helpful. I'm not a binge eater, bulimic or anorexic, just a regular over eater who had tastes towards the unhealthy side. This book showed me the science behind food cravings and what you need to do to curb them.