P90X question

Options
belgerian
belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
I love to run I do it during my lunch hour at work convenient, wife works 2 little kids ect ect ect. I do not want to give up my daily runs I run 8 miles a shot not bragging just giving some background. And sometimes a long run on sat or sun 12 or 14 miles. Now I have lost my weight I have been maintaining, I want to tighten things up hence resistance training. I am a totally newbie at this and am looking for a way to incorporate the resistance portion of this program with my daily runs. Any suggestions? I do have a gym membership but I cannot get their on a regular basis I own some reisistance bands and recently bought some dumbells.

Replies

• smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    As long as you did your resistance training first, I don't see a problem. You might not want to run every day and you will be tired and sore. You'll also need to up your calories to cover the additional calorie burn. The problem with doing two workouts per day is that one or both of them tend to suffer if you don't have the energy.
  • twhit24
    twhit24 Posts: 13
    Options
    Here's a question for you...sounds like you are a pretty busy guy...about how much time per day do you have for a workout program?

P90X workouts average close to an hour every day...will that fit into your schedule?

I'm just finishing up my second round today...any questions please feel free to ask :)
  • bullet1
    bullet1 Posts: 61
    Options
    If you do all the workouts, P90X is 6 days a week with the 7th being either stretching or just rest. 3 Days a week are resistance with an Ab workout at the end which ends up being roughly 1:15 total time. One Day a week is Yoga which is 1:30. The other two days are cardio workouts with Plyometrics and Kenpo (jump training and kickboxing). I know when I get done with any of these workouts, if I pushed myself, I would definitely not feel like going on an 8 mile run.

I would think that you would want to do one or the other, especially with the time crunch you have with kids and such. I'm getting ready to start phase 3 of P90X and I love it. It definitely works you out and works you out hard.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think p90X is too intense (time and effort) for a 50+ mpw runner. I would look more into pure strength training like Stronglifts or Starting Strength.
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have done the program in the past and had been known to sometimes do a run instead of some of the workouts. Specifically if there was a Yoga or a Kempo workout scheduled I did a run instead. Sometimes I would do the run instead of the plyo workout depending on how I felt. I didn't substitute the run for the resistance exercise days and generally didn't run on those days or if I did I kept the runs short.
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    I finished the program three weeks ago, and yep, just like everybody said its a huge time commitment. I was getting up a 5AM everyday to get the workouts in. I did substitute running somedays for the plyo, kenpo, and everyday for the yoga (except for the first two weeks where I TRIED the yoga and hated it!)

Have you considered body weight training? When I finished the P90X I picked up a copy of "Convict Conditioning" and I'm in my second week of that. I don' know if any of this advice is any good, because it depends on what you want your body to look like when your done, if you're ever done. I've come to the conclusion, right or wrong, that you need to decide what you want your body to look like, and train like that. i.e. a swimmers body, swim; a runner's body, run; a body builder, weights etc. etc.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you have dumbells then go for Chalean extreme. you probably want to run 3 or 4 times a week and do the weighrts 3 times. P90X is very heavy cardio, and you don't need that with all the running you are already doing.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input much appreciated.