HRM Question- Too Good to be True?

Options
I recently started training with a HRM- Timex Ironman Triathlon- and I've been very pleased with it so far. However, I'm really beginning to question the data it's giving me at the end of workouts. For example, today I walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes averaging 4.0 mph with an incline of 2. I also ran through a strength training routine (squats,knee raises, bench press, shoulder raises) with 5-10lbs for approximately 20 minutes. I checked my HR throughout my workout and it ranged from 89 (starting) and peaked at 210.

My final readout states I burned 738 calories.

Is that simply too good to be true?

This is one of many seemingly inflated read outs that I have received since I started training with this HRM. I'm pretty inexperienced with this device in general, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong here.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a way to 'test' the readout to ensure it's picking everything up correctly?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks!
Cynthia

Replies

• JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the brand you have, but i have a polar, and in 40 mins on the treadmill running at 5.5 i burn about 400 cals, and then doing 30 mins strength/cardio dvd i burn about 220-260 depending how hard i go... My heart goes between 113-189 typically...
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM and I used to question it's accuracy, too. What you can do, is take the data from HRM where it says "Average HR" and put it into an online calculator that determines how many calories you burned based on your weight, duration and HR. Mine always were very close. I think some people burn more calories than others.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I burn about 700-800 cal on the treadmill 4.2 incline 2 in about 40 min I have noticed as I am getting fitter I am not burning the same amount of cal with the same effort so I will have to up the intensity to keep that kind of burn but I trust it.
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    See this link for a good explanation: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

The treadmill time probably gave a relatively good calorie estimate. The strength training time probably did not. During combined strength training/cardio DVDs, the HRM is probably somewhat accurate if you had your heart rate elevated throughout (at least that has been my experience with those types of DVDs).
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about my HRM as well. It is not the same as yours is.
  • cdstaufenbiel
    cdstaufenbiel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone, for your input!

I didn't realize that the HRM isn't a very reliable gauge for calories burned during strength training. Both websites posted in this thread are very helpful.

Thanks again!
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Please do keep in mind that it is still very beneficial to do strength training for many reasons. Don't let the calorie burn "issue" discourage you. Having more muscle increases your metabolism, helping you lose weight and maintain that loss down the road. And you still do burn calories during strength training, it's just hard to quantify.