Foods you THOUGHT were HEALTHY but GAINED WEIGHT!

Options
Curious to know what food or macros / anything that you thought was HEALTHY, kept it consistent in your meal plan but actually realized you gained weight from it or learned it wasn't as healthy as you thought later on??

For me.. I'd say FRUITS!! I love fruits, I eat alot of them. My favorite is bananas and mangos.. there were times I ate alot and apparently it seems like my body doesn't know the difference with natural sugar and artificial sweeteners lol.

oh and CHOBANI GREEK YOGURTS! The 2% kind with the fruit added.

ATKINS bars are a joke too!

Replies

• MissLaurenR88
    Options
    I'd say just healthy food in general, as in consuming ALOT of it... I can eat as healthy as I want, but if I eat ALOT of it, as in eat too many calories.. I tend to gain weight. I think anything of TOO much is bad. lol
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Pop and I don't get along. Even diet pop stopped my weight loss. Once I cut all pop out, I had no issues. Now I just don't drink it cuz I don't miss it.
  • leesee88
    leesee88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I thought the word "salad" inherently meant "healthy".
    For anyone who is new to this, PLEASE THINK AGAIN!
    Unless you are preparing it yourself, you have no idea what kind of damage restaurants can cause to you with a salad, covered in greasy meat, fatty dressing and cheese, croutons etc.
    If you dont believe me, check Red Robins online nutrition calculator!

And yes, fruit can be a killer without moderation!

Im also pretty sure I drink too much stuff sweetened with aspartame, even thought it is 0 calories.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and anything I like...(not everyday of course)

Any food is bad for you in excess.

Its a matter of moderation my friends.
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Fruits are actually good for us, they give us a lot of vitamins like vitamin A, C etc..Try to choose better fruits like blueberries, or other berries, water lemon (this is the best for weight loss!), apples, bananas are good too for our health but have them in moderation, like a banana a day, thats all..Mangoes are known to contribute to weight gain, so keep them under check..To make it short, dont totally eliminate things which are good for you, instead maintain moderation.. Basic rule of thumb - too much of anything in life is bad !
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    YOGURT with fruit! i am an idiot and one time i was like, `oh, 100 cal yogurts are wonderful nomnomnom` but they pack like 20 grams of (artificial) sugar a pop! thats like a candy bar! i didnt even read the nutrition label haha thats why i pay more attention to them now
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For me.. I'd say FRUITS!! I love fruits, I eat alot of them. My favorite is bananas and mangos.. there were times I ate alot and apparently it seems like my body doesn't know the difference with natural sugar and artificial sweeteners lol.

With Bananas and Mango it could have also been the Carb content that hindered you.
    I can only have bananas right before I go work out- as they are mostly carbs and if you dont burn them off they get stored... no I am not saying you cant have carbs or have to go really low carb but if you eat a bowl of cereal, milk and a banana HOLY CARB attack... your body cant use them all at once so they get stored :) however what works for me may not work for others....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am pretty conscious of the caloric and nutritional value of most of what I put in my body. The only thing I eat with reckless abandon is fresh/frozen vegetables. I'm sure some study will come along one day and blow the theory out of the water, but I subscribe to the school of thought that you can't possibly eat too many veggies.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I know when I was younger I thought stuff like trail mix was okay to eat in massive quantities, and... here I am today lol

My mom always bought/cooked healthy food but neglected to mention how much I should be eating :(
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Fruit is unhealthy?? Huh?
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've never read anywhere that mangos cause weight gain. In fact, they have a low glycemic level and are thought to help with weight loss
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Ok well for me it is not about eating healthy foods that made me gain weight, but eating too much of them.

Peanut Butter
    Fruits (all that sugar)
    Juice (woah sugar!)
    Bread and pasta
    Certain Veg (corn, carrots)
    Salads (piling on crap and dressing.. what was I thinking?)

I believe all good things in moderation. If I want chocolate cake, I have a few bites - not 3 slices or even the whole cake.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and anything I like...(not everyday of course)

Any food is bad for you in excess.

Its a matter of moderation my friends.
    ^ THIS.
  • hellosteph11
    Options
    There are healthy foods and unhealthy foods. You can have both in you know how to portion right. I think some people don't understand that though.

There is such thing as having too much of one thing you know.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    That's not how it works. You didn't gain weight from eating fruit. You gained weight because you ate at a surplus.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    The only food I've seen gain weight was pasta.

It gets heavier when I cook it. I think it's just water weight though, from absorbing some water when I boil it.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    No food is healthy when consumed in excess, and when you consume more calories than you burn and/or have weird metabolism issues, things go so very bad.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    No food makes you gain weight unless you eat more calories than you burn.
  • Mikelobov
    Mikelobov Posts: 44
    Options
    Eggs were almost the death of me. I ate Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwiches every day for years. And on the weekend, i'd pop 6 eggs down and make a scrambled treat. The cholesterol in eggs is crazy high, and I was never informed of this. I always considered eggs healthy.

I'm hoping when I get my blood tests done next week (after heavily monitoring my cholesterol for 3 months) have dropped.

Wish me luck :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The only food I've seen gain weight was pasta.

It gets heavier when I cook it. I think it's just water weight though, from absorbing some water when I boil it.

win! :drinker: