Who else looks up Calories when eating out?

Options

Replies

• leesee88
    leesee88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i always check.

and sometimes, if a restaurant doesnt post their nutrition, then I dont go there!

also, to test myself at estimating calories, I will make a guess about how much is in a menu item and then look it up. It can really help you when you are caught off guard or a restaurant doesnt share nutrition info!
    As always, estimate on the higher end of the scale and work out a littl extra that day, just incase :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I nearly always look up the nutrition info ahead of time and know what I am going to order when I get there.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I mostly go to local restaurants, so not really. I just guestimate. If I am at a chain, I might look it up. But as a lifelong picky eater, I make so many substitutions at your typical chain, if I stick to the portion size, I don't end up going too crazy. (I hate mayo, sour cream, cheese in my salad 90% of the time, and creamy dressings)
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    I am a stickler for this. As a matter of fact my former co-workers used to hate when I googled the restaurant we'd decided on for Happy Hour or when the office would order out for lunch.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always look up the menu before we go. Then I decide from there what i'll have. That way at least I can get an idea of how many there are.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    yep - 99% of the time.
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    My guy and I are both on here and tracking calories. If we know we are going out, I plan ahead, but if we just end up somewhere I will research the calories while I'm in the restaurant. It is nice when they have a low-calorie section and the calories are listed though.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I check so I don't end up eating two or three times as many calories as I want to be. I wouldn't share it with the server, though. In most chain restaurants not even the cooks have much say in how the food is prepared, so I don't see the point of embarrassing a server who can't affect how the restaurant is run.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If I know where I'm going, I'll look up the info beforehand so I know what to order...otherwise, yes, I do look up calories when I'm out.
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If it's available, I almost always look the nutrition up. No way am I eating a 1400 calorie salad!
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I definately look up calories before I go.....I went to IHOP yesterday....almost all of their normal meals are over 1000 calories! Luckily they have a couple "simple & fit" options under 600 calories.
  • CRenaeB
    CRenaeB Posts: 66
    Options
    Me,ME,Me. I have an app for that LOL.

Whats the app? I look up everything. I made the mistake of ordering a burger not knowing the calories. When I got home I was able to find it and it was 1060 calories! I said to myself " NEVER again"!
  • JoeSzup
    JoeSzup Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do it. I need to look up what I'm eating, and need to know where it fits in my goals. As a result of this, I eat out much less often than I used to.

If you have an Android phone, download the Fast Food Nutrition app. It gives the data on almost every fast food place you can think of.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fastfood.nutrition&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5mYXN0Zm9vZC5udXRyaXRpb24iXQ..
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I check their on-line nutrition information before we go (but don't share with the server). This week went to Olive Garden with my daughter - by checking their info, I made better choices like soup instead of salad (saved 190 calories), chose healthier entree and ony ate about half. being aware of the calorie count just helps to make better choices!
  • lauraj023
    Options
    I try to look up calories before I go so I know what I'm going to get. Thinking ahead helps keep me on track. I usually just tell those that I'm out with (which makes them second guess their order haha). It's not the server's fault the food is loaded with calories and other crap, they don't make the food! :)
  • jmy1975
    jmy1975 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do look them up if I can and know ahead of time. At chain restuarants I ask for the nutritional facts since they are required to provide them (like Cheesecake factory or Outback). Never shared it with the wait staff though. I have at times also asked for substitutions liek steamed veggies over sides of potatos and most places are ok with it and do a great job cooking the veggies.

My fiancee hates it though so you are lucky that your husband is ok with it. I usually enter my food on my phone while we are sitting there and that bothers him since he doesn't like to think about how much he is eating. He just keeps skipping meals (which I have told him is not helping, but its what he wants to do).
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I always try to find the info online if I can so I have a plan going in.
  • scribe313
    scribe313 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I can't go out and eat and not look the place up online and figure out what I can have. :noway: Most of the times I will cut back a little in the day, so I am sure not to go over my calorie goals for the day.
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I try to look it up a head of time. I've been burned too many times with what my expectations were and what was reality.

I was really upset with Cracker Barrel a couple months ago and ended up calling Corporate because they don't have nutritional info listed on their web site. Even fast food isn't afraid to post their nutritional info for crying out loud! I ate from their low carb meal (don't even have it on their on-line menu) and what I got just didn't seem to ring true when using the calorie counters for net carbs when I got home. They just gave me the run around when I called and obviously if they are making specific carb claims they must have the info available.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smartphone, so I don't look up the calories until afterwards. Sometimes, I'm not pleased with what I find!