Oatmeal confusion...Help!

Options
My steel cut oats says 1/4 cup DRY is 150 calories and 2 grams of fat.
1/4 cup is so tiny!
So when I cook it in my crock pot with 2 cups of water and nothing else..I just scoop out 1/4 cup and it's still 150 calories..right?
That means a whole cup would be 600 calories! ):
Why must oatmeal have so many calories?!

Replies

• pixelish
    pixelish Posts: 54
    Options
    I do not think that is accurate. Adding water to oatmeal does not increase the calories - it only increases the water content of the oats. The calorie count is for dry oatmeal, since it is more accurate. After it's cooked (and expanded in volume), it's still 150 calories.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do not think that is accurate. Adding water to oatmeal does not increase the calories - it only increases the water content of the oats. The calorie count is for dry oatmeal, since it is more accurate. After it's cooked (and expanded in volume), it's still 150 calories.

yeah that!
  • berkra
    berkra Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great Value 100% Whole Grain Old Fashioned Oats - Oatmeal, 1/2 cup dry is 150kcal
    These are the rolled kind

when you measure dry and then add water it still stays 150kcal (Same for yours)
    only if you add sugar or milk will you have to add those calories.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    lol
  • desiree516
    desiree516 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup dry means whatever amount comes out after cooking in WATER is the same cals.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    When you cook 1/4 cup of oatmeal it expands to 3/4 cup, this is a serving of cooked oatmeal at 150 calories.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It is not accurate. If you add 2 cups of water to 1/4 cup of oats do you get soup? My morning hot cereal is 1/4c cereal to 3/4c water. Eat it all to get the calories.
  • StrawberryRainclouds
    Options
    No I put in 1 cup of oats and 4 cups of water..
    so half a cup would be 300 calories?
    I'm sorry I'm not good with this kind of stuff ):
  • pixelish
    Options
    The water is irrelevant. The calories for the dry oatmeal stays the same even after cooking. If you are cooking 1 cup of dry oats, you count the calories for one cup of dry oats and that's the number of calories.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options

NO.

When you measure out the amount DRY, calculate how many calories that is. THAT is how many calories it will be when it is cooked. Water does not magically add calories.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    It is not accurate. If you add 2 cups of water to 1/4 cup of oats do you get soup? My morning hot cereal is 1/4c cereal to 3/4c water. Eat it all to get the calories.

She's using Steel Cut Oats, not regular oats you can cook up in the microwave really fast for breakfast. Its not soup...its DELISH! with a little dried fruit and milk, i love it in the crockpot

and they're right, 1/4 cup dry is the same calories as what it makes after you cook it. So put it in as a recipe, esp if you add dried fruit or fat free half and half like we do and then count out your servings.
  • desiree516
    desiree516 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    150 X 4 divided by 2 = 300. Yes if that is how you are making it.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

She's using Steel Cut Oats, not regular oats you can cook up in the microwave really fast for breakfast. Its not soup...its DELISH! with a little dried fruit and milk, i love it in the crockpot

I understand what she is eating. It just looked strange. Her further posts identified that she used a ratio that would equal 1/4c oats to 1c water, something closer the ratio of my really fast bob's red mill microwave deliciousness.
  • pixelish
    Options
    This was a great thread. I had never considered making steel cut oats in the crock pot. In order to get the timing correct, I did a quick search and found recipes for both apple cinnamon and pumpkin versions! I can't wait for tomorrow morning now!! :happy:
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    My steel cut oats says 1/4 cup DRY is 150 calories and 2 grams of fat.
    1/4 cup is so tiny!
    So when I cook it in my crock pot with 2 cups of water and nothing else..I just scoop out 1/4 cup and it's still 150 calories..right?
    That means a whole cup would be 600 calories! ):
    Nope, the 1/4 cup volume is before cooking.
    I made Bob's Red mill steel cut in the crockpost last week, 1 cup oats and 4 cups water in the bowl. it looked like it made a lot more than 4 servings. In fact, I got about 6 servings out of it, of varying sizes. I didn't measure as I scooped it out to serve, but each serving would have been less than the 150 calories. I added a packet of Stevia to it, and a splash of 1% milk to loosen it up. I've been drinking almond milk lately but didn't like it mixed in as much as regular milk.
  • StrawberryRainclouds
    Options
    Ah! So confusing! Still doesn't make sense to me. Probably never will aha. Steal cut is my favorite but I can't figure out how to measure properly. At least it's healthy and if I do eat a little more then a serving it's not like it's a whole chocolate cake :laugh:
  • pixelish
    Options
    Ah! So confusing! Still doesn't make sense to me. Probably never will aha. Steal cut is my favorite but I can't figure out how to measure properly. At least it's healthy and if I do eat a little more then a serving it's not like it's a whole chocolate cake :laugh:

Because the amount of water/liquid you add cannot be accounted for by the manufacturer, the calories will always be in the dry amounts. If you are making more than one serving, you can figure out how many calories are in each by 1) knowing the number of calories in the dry ingredients, 2) knowing the volume of cooked product, 3) determining the percentage of the whole you are eating, and 4) calculating the consumed calories through the same precentage determined in step 3.

For example: if 1/4 cup of dry oats has 150 calories and you add 2 cups of water for cooking. After cooking, we'll assume you have 2 cups of oats. If you eat half of what is there, you have eaten 1/2 of the calories available (or in our example, 75 calories). If you had a 1/2 cup of oats with 4 cups of liquid, then eat half of the resulting oatmeal, you would have consumed 150 calories. Does that help?
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    the only thing that contains calories in your oatmeal is the dry ingredients, as long as you make it with water. So whatever amount of dry outmeal you start with is the amount of calories in the entire pot of outmeal that there is after it's cooked. So divide the total number of calories you started with (dry oatmeal) by the number of servings in the pot. so if dry oatmeal had 200 calories and entire pot contains 4 servings, each serving would be 50 calories (200/4).
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup dry is 150 calories according to Quaker Oats. I eat it all the time. Dry just means before you put anything on it. So if you use water, it's still 150 calories.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

You are supposed to put 2 cups of water per 1 cup of oats. That makes 4 servings at 3/4 cups each that equals 150 calories per serving (3/4 cup)

1 cup of oats equals 600 calories so if you divide the number of servings by 600, you will get your accurate caloric content.