Is "eating more and losing more" true?

Options
1235»

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Yup it worked for me too. You see our metabolisms are like a car wherein it won't run at long miles if it is not full tank. However make sure that you still stay within your calorie goals, cutting back 200 cals below maintenance is enough plus add in another 200 calories burned from exercise & there you have a deficit.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I fuel my body in a way that allows it to function without being moody, irritable, and tired all the time. That is how I felt on the 1200 calories MFP gave me. I had eaten my exercise calories back and would binge and binge.. it was non sustainable for me. I adjusted my calories up to 1600 a day net and have been steadily losing. I average 1-2 pounds a week weight loss, a little more than I had wanted. I pan on increasing my calories in mid May!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you're probably not eating enough. I have eaten between 1600-2000 calories a day pretty much the whole time since I made my lifestyle change january 1 2011 - and I have lost 111.2 lbs. and never really felt hungry.
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Its worked well for me so far after my pleatau. You just have to try different things and find your sweet spot
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I felt so stupid, hungry and cranky when I tried 1200 cals. I would recommend upping your calories to at least 1350
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs and then I plateud so atm I am upping my calories but still leaving a 500 calorie deficit. With the amount of exercise I do I have to eat like 1800 calories wereas before it was 1200. If it doesn't work for a month then I will cut them down again. Nervous! Hope it works. Goodbye plateau.

Please join this group and figure out how to do it properly

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I believe if you enter your information into your profile honestly, MFP will come up with the correct amount of calories for you. Also, use the recommended 1 pound weight loss per week setting. You should then be able to manage your calories without getting hungry as long as you eat extra for the calories burned during exercise. As I posted in an earlier thread, if you are in a big hurry and try to eat minimum calories, you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. Good luck!
  • MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later :flowerforyou:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. If you have a lot of weight to lose, then no. If you're close to your goal or already relatively small, then yes.

Actually, that depends on the person as well. I'm close to my goal and small and I think I'm not losing weight because 1,200 is too much for me.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think upping calories will work IF you workout, if you eat more food you burn more calories, I know it might sound weird but there is some kind of reason, maybe do some research? Good Luck!
  • Alifall414
    Options
    I upped my calories to 1450 when I started on here. After a few weeks and I was more used to netting that amount I dropped down to 1350. I have consistently lost 1-2 lbs, and sometimes even 3 lbs a week eating these amounts. The one week that I tried 1200 only, I didn't lose a thing and was grouchy and exhausted. I eat more, and move more. I also chose healthier snacks and meals now. You may want to check and see what your BMR is and adjust for yourself from there. Jillian Michaels said on her website that even though most diets recommend 1200 as a low, she can't go below 1500-1600 or she gets tired and cranky.

I've read many posts about upping calories from the goal set automatically on MFP, didn't see a single post that said they didn't have a positive experience upping calories and lost MORE weight when they did.

If your body thinks its starving it will hold on to weight and water and FAT.

Good luck!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I believe if you enter your information into your profile honestly, MFP will come up with the correct amount of calories for you. Also, use the recommended 1 pound weight loss per week setting. You should then be able to manage your calories without getting hungry as long as you eat extra for the calories burned during exercise. As I posted in an earlier thread, if you are in a big hurry and try to eat minimum calories, you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of yo-yo dieting. Good luck!

The problem is no one thinks rationally.. everyone sees Lose 2 lbs a week and goes.. yeah! lets do it! So they are all set up on 1200 a day goals.. and don't know better... Until you start reading and researching.. So that is my suggestions.. read lots of threads, go to the mentioned groups, read their thread...
    educate yourself.. don't just follow blindly what the website tells you.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body. If you have a lot of weight to lose, then no. If you're close to your goal or already relatively small, then yes.

I need to lose 50. I would like to do it in 5 months before my wedding.. bahaha. Hey a girl could dream right?

Aim to lose 20 to 25 before your wedding. That can happen on 1500 or more cals a day :) you can of course lose 10 pounds a month but it will probably include a loss of muscle and you do not want that. I think lots of people here have given good suggestions. I Can't speak from experience yet as I just started upping mine but I can tell you I'll not be on a 1200 cal diet again. Ugh.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It is not really eating more that works its finding the right amount of calories that works for your metabolism.

This - this is the best answer.

If you think your moods come from not eating enough, and that you're likely to self-sabotage because of it - try eating more and see what happens. I would just give yourself a month when you make any change to see how it's going vs. making rapid changes in succession.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I've read many posts about upping calories from the goal set automatically on MFP, didn't see a single post that said they didn't have a positive experience upping calories and lost MORE weight when they did.

I have seen posts reporting negative experiences, which does not surprise me in the least.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 then started slowly upping it. Went to 1450 for a few weeks, then 1500, then 1550, now I'm at 1600. Plus I eat most of my exercise calories. I gained 1 lb when I went from 1200 to 1450, then it came back off. I haven't lost any since I've upped, but i haven't gained, and I've heard it takes a few weeks for the weight to start coming off again. Plus i'm less moody, not as grumpy and tired.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

Actually, that depends on the person as well. I'm close to my goal and small and I think I'm not losing weight because 1,200 is too much for me.

I'm pretty sure if you figured out your BMR and TDEE you would see that 1200 is not too much for you.