Thinking about doing a 5k

Options
I am thinking about signing up for my first 5k. Its in August, I think it would give me something to shoot for. Anybody out there who has done one and can give me some idea what I'm in for, I would appreciate it!

Replies

• DroptheBrownie
    Options
    Do it! You will have such an accomplished feeling and may even get hooked. Some friends got me into it and now I love it! There is nothing like a runner's high! :-) I hear Couch25K is a good place to start and they have an app for it. But I started with Hal Higdon training programs which can be found at www.halhigdon.com. Best of luck!!
  • dypab
    dypab Posts: 19
    Options
    Here's the link to what most people use -

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I just completed a 10k-finished 2nd in my age group and it was an awesome experience. Training for my first half marathon in June.

good luck and enjoy!

marathonrookie.com is another great site
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Its in August? you have LOADS of time to prepare!

Start running outside or on a treadmill, whatever fits your lifestyle, See if there is a Running store near you - many of them hold group training clinics... Or look up the Couch to 5 k program - a lot of people have had success with that - although I'm not sure about it.

You can do it!
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of the mentioned C25k, I'm definitely making progress and I couldn't even slowly jog for 60 seconds when I started. Get one of the podcasts too, I find they really help. Good luck :)
  • runningonE5
    Options
    5K's are awesome goals for weight loss and totally attainable for newbies! Check out www.active.com for races near you and also check out their training programs and tips (all free). I have heard good things about couch to 5k as well. Most important tips I can give you as someone who used to run weekly races while in Iraq...invest in a decent pair of shoes. If you can, find a place that will do a shoe fit (with a treadmill test) so you know exactly what kind of shoe you need to help support your feet best. And stick to the training plan, even if it feels too easy at parts, because you can injure yourself very easily if you push too hard too fast. Good luck!!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    bumping....we're doing C25K also, and our first 5k is in December

The Color Run!!!

www.thecolorrun.com :)
  • dml219
    dml219 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have done a couple of "real" 5ks in the past year, but I have been doing a "virtual" 5k every Sunday on my treadmill. I have a NordicTrak that has a 10" screen, using an android OS, that links up to iFit Live and I run virtual 5k competitions against other iFit users around the world. I come in at the bottom of the pack each week, but I don't care. It is an awesome workout and the competition atmosphere pushes me each week. I have shaved off almost 5 minutes from my total time over the past 2 months, so I am happy with that. I think it may be a good incentive for you to plan one perhaps a month or so out. Just start out with doing 2 miles now, then work your way up a little more each week til you feel comfortable at 3 miles. And don't feel like you have to run it.
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Do it! I ran my first 5K almost a year ago and had a blast. Start a training regimen now and you will be physically prepared by August. I personally used the Couch25K and loved it, but there are several programs out there so look around and find the one that will work for you or create your own. I was surprised by the wide range of people and their ability levels at my first race. Once the race started, I was no longer nervous and just enjoyed running with so many people. It really is a blast and can be addictive.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Setting a goal is a great way to get you motivated.

I started training for my first 5K in Feb. My first "official" 5K is May 6th but currently my "short" running days I average 4 miles (Yesterday I ran 4.88 miles after work). On my long days 6 miles. So now I'm training for a 10K in July then a 12K in October.

You can totally do it. Just know that with running it takes time so don't worry if there are days that you try to run and don't reach your goals there are serious off days and listen to your body.

People have mentioned some great programs but I made up my own. I don't like interval running (it wears me out) :) What I did was set weekly goals that alternated between distance and time. For example, my first week my goal was to run .25 Miles (or whichever distance you'd prefer). I gave myself 3-4 days a week to reach that goal if I couldn't reach it I repeated it for the following week (meaning you run 3-4 days a week even if you reach your goal the first day). Next week goal was to run for 3 minutes straight (or 2 Minutes). Following weeks goal was .35 miles then 5 minutes then .50 miles. For me setting mini weekly goals motivated me to keep going.

This is just how I did it but there are a TON of great guidelines and programs to motivate you. I am a "runner" now (I guess) so if you need motivation with running add me as a friend I'm a super cheerleader.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5K - from not being able to run for 90 seconds without feeling like I was dying, I can now run for 15 minutes without stopping! I'm looking forward to being able to run for longer times and longer distances. It's a good program :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Couch to 5k!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I will join you in this goal! I hate, hate, hate running, but I recognize the benefits and want to push myself to do something that is good for me and I don't like. I'm looking at doing a 5K in July, so we can compare notes and keep each other on track. Good luck!!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    A 5K is 3.1 miles. You should be able to do this with no problems. Have you ever heard of the C25K? Google it! It works!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5K - from not being able to run for 90 seconds without feeling like I was dying, I can now run for 15 minutes without stopping! I'm looking forward to being able to run for longer times and longer distances. It's a good program :)
    Exactly! It works!
  • laursed
    laursed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info and support!!! I am going to send in my registration today before I chicken out:)
    i will check out all the websites you recommended - sounds like i have to check out that C25K!
    August 26th is my goal.....Thanks again everyone!!!!!!