Replies

• josol1971
    josol1971 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Good info - thanks!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have sunwarrior vegan protein powder aside from my whey. It's rice protein. You could also purchase soy protein. It's actually cheaper than whey.

Love Sunwarrior!!
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Soy is great if you can find organinc, non GMO -- otherwise can really mess with your hormones.

I'm sorry, I don't understand any of this?

Firstly, the effect of phytoestrogens on the human body is highly debated.

Secondly, why would being organic make a difference?
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Spirutein - TOTAL yumfest. It's fast and convenient in packets, comes in a million flavors and is the only one I've had so far that I really like. Careful though - they do make a whey version too - it will state so on the packet. I can't tolerate whey, it really makes me sick, so the regular Spirutein packets are my fav
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from soy. NOW sports has an egg white protein powder. I have both the whey and the egg white.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I get one from Wal-Mart that is a soy powder that i mix with almond milk and ice for a yummy shake!
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    there is egg white protein powder. That doesn't have whey, right?
    Yes, i would suggest this too. Soy is not nearly as good as whey and also I read somewhere that it also does something bad for the body.

Soy is great if you can find organinc, non GMO -- otherwise can really mess with your hormones. Stick with other veggie protein, or egg white protein.

I agree... I use a non-GMO soy protein by Visalus Sciences. I love it.
    If you want more info message me and I'll set you up :flowerforyou:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    there is egg white protein powder. That doesn't have whey, right?
    Yes, i would suggest this too. Soy is not nearly as good as whey and also I read somewhere that it also does something bad for the body.

Soy is great if you can find organinc, non GMO -- otherwise can really mess with your hormones. Stick with other veggie protein, or egg white protein.

I agree... I use a non-GMO soy protein by Visalus Sciences. I love it.
    If you want more info message me and I'll set you up :flowerforyou:

Visalus is Body by Vi products right? They contain tree nuts, peanuts, dairy and gluten. All of which I can't have. But thank you. :)
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I'd stay away from soy. NOW sports has an egg white protein powder. I have both the whey and the egg white.

I hear a LOT of bad things about what soy (non-GMO or not) can do to a body when taken in larger doses. Considering pretty much EVERYTHING we eat these days (if it's packaged) has some form of soy in it I prefer to avoid soy as it is. :) I'm definitely most interested in the egg white protein or pea protein. Just gotta find it now!
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Spiru-tein is vegan and gluten free!! they also have an unsweetened version if you prefer to add your own sweeeteners. Just make sure you add enough liquid, because it turns out pretty thick compared to whey proteins I have used... that is the only thing I don't like about it.
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also think it may be soy free... or lower soy. Has pea protein etc in it
    Spiru-tein is vegan and gluten free!! they also have an unsweetened version if you prefer to add your own sweeeteners. Just make sure you add enough liquid, because it turns out pretty thick compared to whey proteins I have used... that is the only thing I don't like about it.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You want a protein isolate.

Gnc Pro Performance Amp - Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Protein Shake, Vanilla, 1 scoops

I scoop is 93 calories and 20 g of protein.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I love how nobody's accused anyone else of selling a product yet. Isn't that great?

Oh crap I jinxed it, didn't I? #oops
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to Gluten, soy, dairy, casein, and egg. I use a rice protein powder.

The one I use is Prarie Naturals Organic Rice Protein Powder. It's "Cafe Caramel" flavoured. I mix it with a half cup rice milk, water and some ice and it tastes like a iced coffee (if i use chocolate rice milk it tastes like an iced mocha). It also comes in a mixed berry and vanilla.

Rice Protein powders do tend to be a bit chalky though.

I've also tried the "Vega Sport Double Chocolate" one and to me it tasted like cake mix, I did not like it.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Soy is great if you can find organinc, non GMO -- otherwise can really mess with your hormones.

I'm sorry, I don't understand any of this?

Firstly, the effect of phytoestrogens on the human body is highly debated.

Secondly, why would being organic make a difference?

GMO= genetically modified organisms

GMO's are experimental plants/animals that have been genetically engineered in a lab. 93% of the US/Canada is GMO soy and they have no laws that require labeling of genetically engineered foods. GMO's are NOT proven safe.

Organic makes a difference because it is a clean source of soy.

I use Visalus shakes, which are non-GMO but also this shake has been specially processed to remove lactose, remove fat, remove carbohydrates, and remove isoflavones from the soy that can impact estrogen. (which solves the reasons most folks don't like to use soy protein) Low in sodium and low in sugar, which is another issue with a lot of the other proteins out there.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I love how nobody's accused anyone else of selling a product yet. Isn't that great?

lol. I just bought that protein recently & enjoye it so no selling here :)
  • penrbrown
    Options

Well, I did specifically ask for product names... or at least I think I did? Haha. So people can go ahead and try to sell things. Just don't try to sell something that isn't what it claims to be. ;)
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    GMO= genetically modified organisms

GMO's are experimental plants/animals that have been genetically engineered in a lab. 93% of the US/Canada is GMO soy and they have no laws that require labeling of genetically engineered foods. GMO's are NOT proven safe.

Organic makes a difference because it is a clean source of soy.

I use Visalus shakes, which are non-GMO but also this shake has been specially processed to remove lactose, remove fat, remove carbohydrates, and remove isoflavones from the soy that can impact estrogen. (which solves the reasons most folks don't like to use soy protein) Low in sodium and low in sugar, which is another issue with a lot of the other proteins out there.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I know what GMO and organic mean. I was questioning why organic or non-GMO soy would have different levels of phytoestrogens to non-organic or GMO soy. The statement I quoted appeared to imply this, so was interested in the reasons and sources, as it otherwise seems a very strange thing to claim.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    I'm intolerant to Gluten, soy, dairy, casein, and egg. I use a rice protein powder.

The one I use is Prarie Naturals Organic Rice Protein Powder. It's "Cafe Caramel" flavoured. I mix it with a half cup rice milk, water and some ice and it tastes like a iced coffee (if i use chocolate rice milk it tastes like an iced mocha). It also comes in a mixed berry and vanilla.

Rice Protein powders do tend to be a bit chalky though.

I've also tried the "Vega Sport Double Chocolate" one and to me it tasted like cake mix, I did not like it.

Awesome! Thanks.Intolerant to egg? OUCH. ): Just hearing that makes me feel sad. Eggs are wonderful.

But this is another product for me to check out! Thanks!