I can't seem to eat all my calories....

Options
It seems everyday I max out my carbs, fiber, and protein (1st & foremost), but am left with 200-400 calories. I don't want to eat foods with no nutritional value, but I find myself eating a Jello or something similar just to build up the calories without adding to the others. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Or advise of any food that are helpful? I eat the whole pyramid, in moderation, everyday, but still come up short!

Replies

• gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You will need to open your diary for people to make an accurate assessment of what might help.
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    Are you eating things that are "diet", "fat free", or "low fat"? If so, try using the regular version. Also, are you eating almonds or other nuts, which are good for your health? Just some ideas...
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It seems everyday I max out my carbs, fiber, and protein (1st & foremost), but am left with 200-400 calories. I don't want to eat foods with no nutritional value, but I find myself eating a Jello or something similar just to build up the calories without adding to the others. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Or advise of any food that are helpful? I eat the whole pyramid, in moderation, everyday, but still come up short!

Do you feel good? Are you hungry? Are you losing weight? Are your calories with the deficit of 200 - 400 still at a reasonable level? If the answers are yes, I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, you're probably eating more calories than you think.
  • amneff51
    amneff51 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I probably am eating more than I think, you're right.

I am not sure how to display my diary, so let me know!

I feel fine, not hungry, but am certainly eating less than I used to.
    Have lost 3lbs since I started on Monday, think it might be the initial drop, and I don't want to "starve" my body, but YES to nuts and YES to the reduced fat items. With the deficit, I am still eating 900-1100 calories.....
  • gypsybug
    Options
    I probably am eating more than I think, you're right.

I am not sure how to display my diary, so let me know!

I feel fine, not hungry, but am certainly eating less than I used to.
    Have lost 3lbs since I started on Monday, think it might be the initial drop, and I don't want to "starve" my body, but YES to nuts and YES to the reduced fat items. With the deficit, I am still eating 900-1100 calories.....

Off your home tab go to settings, then go to diary settings. Scroll down and you will see where you can change it from private to public. Once you do that, people can give you meaningful advice.
  • amneff51
    Options
    DONE! Thx
  • gypsybug
    Options
    Ok, just a quick observation based on the week or so I went back. You seem to be in the mindset that once you hit a macro, such as protein, you are done for the day. That's simply not true. Lot's of people actually manually adjust their macros to higher or lower levels, depending on their needs. Protein is a common one to up. So if you go over, don't sweat it.

You are consistently severely low on your calorie intake. That 1200 you are at is the LOWEST you should eat. In reality, you should be eating much higher, preferably above your BMR. Do a little research on this site to learn more about that and for now, don't go under 1200. Ever. You will likely end up binging later because it's just not doable for the majority of people.

You aren't getting a lot of variety. The macro you seem to leave hanging, along with calories, is carbs. Lot's of veggies and fruits have carbs and I don't see very many of those in your daily menu's. You are eating a lot of processed crap, but not a lot of fresh, filling foods.

Take the time to look at diaries on here. Especially those of successful MFPer's. One thing you will see is a HUGE variety just in one day. And LOTS of food. At every meal.

I hope that helps.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
    almonds
    dark chocolate
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Just based on your meals today - Where are your veggies?? Add some romaine lettuce with that fish taco and toss in some tomato on top. If you like onions, add those too! And a bit of avocado would be great.

I usually keep a bag of carrots, celery, and cucumber (cut up) to eat when I want every day - its less than 150 calories, but allows me to get veggie in and "eat mindlessly".

Things like goldfish crackers are yummy, but instead get some whole wheat crackers and top with cheese and tomato! And instead of Campbell's soup, try making your own tomato soup, it's really easy and much healthier - plus then you can add other fresh veggies if you want (or at least real tomato).

When you first start on here, go for calories - eat at least 1200 a day and exercise 3 times a week (eat back half of what you get from exercise - so that you have at least 1200 regardless net) then you can focus more on protein, carbs, fats, etc - those are an advanced level.

Also, you said you think you are eating healthy - but you aren't adding in enough fruits, veggies, fiber, etc - so start eating more of that and less candy ;-) (that's a special once a week - yay I did it right -type thing).
  • amneff51
    Options
    Fortunately, the foods for the past week (my only week on MFP!) are not typical. It has been Admin Appreciation week here, so they are trying to stuff us, and I am weak!

I do try to make sure I have plenty of veggies and fruit. I eat some everyday, just not always in the raw form. I have added some fresh vegs & fruits to this weeks groceries.

There is lettuce with the fish tacos, I just enter everything seperately for meals... The Goldfish were actually healthier via the box than the wheat thins were, and again, I was worried about going over protein cause I know it can cause gastro issues and weight gain.

I am a total nut eater, but they are also incredibly fattening, so I do them in moderation. I am certainly eating healthier than I was. But yes, as I go back and review, I am wicked short on carbs and cals, just didn't want to over do the other two areas...
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about shorting myself that many calories than I would about hitting those macros religiously, but that's me. I don't pay attention to mine at all so take what I say with a grain of salt.
  • ness8484
    ness8484 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm actually trying to hit/exceed my proteins and balance the carbs I eat with them (7g Protein/15g Carbs). When you are watching your watching that balance it's easier to eat your calories. You should also try to keep in mind that all fats and carbs are not negative, especially when it's fruits and veggies. If you want a snack load up on veggies, and if you're as under your calories as you say you are, find a really yummy dip for them because it sounds like you have room to do so :)