Foods you THOUGHT were HEALTHY but GAINED WEIGHT!

Options

Replies

• moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Anything is unhealthy if we eat too much of it. Portion control is my challenge. I tend to overeat on everything so, when I get ravenous I try to eat a big green salad. you can never eat too many green veggies just hold the creamy dressing..
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    honestly most of these can be very healthy. Eating a good about of fruit should never be considered unhealthy, unless you have a specific condition. Skippy peanut butter is not good for you. But natural peanut butter with no added salt or sugar? Thats a really good source of protein and oil. Its not the foods in their basic form that are bad for you! Yes, fruit and yogurt is not great if there is added sugar or corn starch or other things. If you have plain yogurt with mixed in blueberries thats super healthy. Dont blame the foods haha
  • csalm
    csalm Posts: 4
    Options
    Your artificial sweeteners make you gain weight. If your not a diabetic then you should avoid sweeteners. I'm a nursing student and we studied the effects of artificial sweeteners in school. Since, your body starts to digest before you even taste a food (hence why you start to salivate when smell something good cooking). When your tongue taste the artificial sweetener your body starts preparing itself for digestion. One of the ways it does this is to increase insulin production. When the food or drink you are consuming reaches your stomach, there is no sugar for the insulin to use, and your blood sugar drops. When a persons blood sugar drops they feel faint, shaky and hungry. So you automatically crave something high in sugar to fix your blood sugar. Also, years of consumption is thought to lead to insulin resistance. Basically, your body gets tired of being fooled, so stops making insulin until it knows what you are consuming is actually sugar, thought to be one on the many reasons why type 2 diabetes is becoming so popular.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I hope people don't read this and decide to cut out fruit from their diet.

*groan*:noway:

A banana might have the same amount of calories as a small bar of chocolate....but which one has more nutrients? No brainer.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Fruit is unhealthy?? Huh?

o.O

LOL @ single foods making someone gain fat. Yea....
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Your artificial sweeteners make you gain weight. If your not a diabetic then you should avoid sweeteners. I'm a nursing student and we studied the effects of artificial sweeteners in school. Since, your body starts to digest before you even taste a food (hence why you start to salivate when smell something good cooking). When your tongue taste the artificial sweetener your body starts preparing itself for digestion. One of the ways it does this is to increase insulin production. When the food or drink you are consuming reaches your stomach, there is no sugar for the insulin to use, and your blood sugar drops. When a persons blood sugar drops they feel faint, shaky and hungry. So you automatically crave something high in sugar to fix your blood sugar. Also, years of consumption is thought to lead to insulin resistance. Basically, your body gets tired of being fooled, so stops making insulin until it knows what you are consuming is actually sugar, thought to be one on the many reasons why type 2 diabetes is becoming so popular.

Do they teach you to back up claims such as these with peer-reviewed studies?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    YOGURT with fruit! i am an idiot and one time i was like, `oh, 100 cal yogurts are wonderful nomnomnom` but they pack like 20 grams of (artificial) sugar a pop! thats like a candy bar! i didnt even read the nutrition label haha thats why i pay more attention to them now

Lactose and fructose are both sugars, yes, but there is far more nutritional benefit in yogurt and fruit than in a candy bar (sucrose). "Sugar" is not inherently evil.
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Recently discovered bananas were not going to be kind to me. I prefer them when they are a little green. There is a chemical change in fruit as it ripens. Apparently, unripen fruits have more resistent starches which pretty much behave like fiber which can bloat you if you don't follow with water.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For me.. I'd say FRUITS!! I love fruits, I eat alot of them. My favorite is bananas and mangos.. there were times I ate alot and apparently it seems like my body doesn't know the difference with natural sugar and artificial sweeteners lol.

With Bananas and Mango it could have also been the Carb content that hindered you.
    I can only have bananas right before I go work out- as they are mostly carbs and if you dont burn them off they get stored... no I am not saying you cant have carbs or have to go really low carb but if you eat a bowl of cereal, milk and a banana HOLY CARB attack... your body cant use them all at once so they get stored :) however what works for me may not work for others....

This! On the weekends I'm a waitress and I eat a banana for breakfast. They haven't caused me to gain in the slightest, but I think it's because I move after I eat them.

And there aren't any particular foods that caused weight gain for me. Eating too much and lack of drinking water will cause me to gain weight. I eat fruits, veggies, lean meats, FRIES and ICE CREAM etc... Moderation is key. I will eat 10 fries and be done with them or one scoop of ice cream and that's all I need. It's the same with healthy foods. I portion them and try not to over do anything. Moderation and variety is key.
  • danismell82
    Options
    Bean burgers and veggie burgers!

I used to eat these with salad thinking that it was a nice healthy meal...WRONG!! Each burger was approx 225kcal.

Also tortilla wraps, I thought that these were a good/light alternative to bread...WRONG AGAIN!! Approx 180kcals per wrap.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Bean burgers and veggie burgers!

I used to eat these with salad thinking that it was a nice healthy meal...WRONG!! Each burger was approx 225kcal.

Also tortilla wraps, I thought that these were a good/light alternative to bread...WRONG AGAIN!! Approx 180kcals per wrap.
    225 calories, protein, fiber... sounds good to me!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    HUMOUS!!!! was so annoyed when i found out it was really bad for you
    What's bad about hummus? Chickpeas? Protein, fiber... what's bad?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Hummus (not humous) is not bad. Eating too much of it (like anything else) can be.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between "healthy" and "high calorie." Nothing MAKES you gain weight. YOU make yourself gain weight by eating too much of anything.

There are healthy high calorie foods. There are unhealthy high calorie foods. There are healthy low calorie foods. There are unhealthy low calorie foods.

I don't understand why this is a complicated idea.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Fruit is unhealthy?? Huh?

Go for it.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    From that study:

"At the current time, the jury remains out regarding a possible role of increased artificial sweetener use in the obesity and diabetes epidemics, whether adverse, beneficial or neutral. In particular, very little data exist regarding the role of artificial sweeteners in glucose metabolism in children. Our growing understanding of the active metabolic role played by such chemicals in animal models should spur further research into the effects of these common food additives in humans."

Wait, you were hoping to prove something other than that, right?
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    From that study:

"At the current time, the jury remains out regarding a possible role of increased artificial sweetener use in the obesity and diabetes epidemics, whether adverse, beneficial or neutral. In particular, very little data exist regarding the role of artificial sweeteners in glucose metabolism in children. Our growing understanding of the active metabolic role played by such chemicals in animal models should spur further research into the effects of these common food additives in humans."

Wait, you were hoping to prove something other than that, right?

That's right below the quote I was going to take.

"The strongest evidence for causation between artificial sweetener use and either adverse or beneficial health effects comes from randomized controlled trials. The few small, randomized controlled trials conducted in children did not find an association between artificial sweetener consumption and weight change."

IOW, where we'd MOST expect to see an effect, we don't. I feel we need to look more closely at this, but so far, there's not any credible evidence that artificial sweeteners cause weight gain.
  • rolley89
    rolley89 Posts: 13
    Options
    Pop and I don't get along. Even diet pop stopped my weight loss. Once I cut all pop out, I had no issues. Now I just don't drink it cuz I don't miss it.

By pop do you mean Soda? What state are ya from?
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Pop and I don't get along. Even diet pop stopped my weight loss. Once I cut all pop out, I had no issues. Now I just don't drink it cuz I don't miss it.

Me too! I'm right there with you! I use to drink Diet Dr Pepper like it was water! Now I just drink water. When I first took myself off of it...I craved it all the time. Now, almost a year later, I crave water all the time. Rarely am I caught without my red water bottle in my hand.