Foods you THOUGHT were HEALTHY but GAINED WEIGHT!

124»

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Healthy (nutritious!) food does not necessarily equal low-cal food and vice versa, LOL
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Oreos
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Your artificial sweeteners make you gain weight. If your not a diabetic then you should avoid sweeteners. I'm a nursing student and we studied the effects of artificial sweeteners in school. Since, your body starts to digest before you even taste a food (hence why you start to salivate when smell something good cooking). When your tongue taste the artificial sweetener your body starts preparing itself for digestion. One of the ways it does this is to increase insulin production. When the food or drink you are consuming reaches your stomach, there is no sugar for the insulin to use, and your blood sugar drops. When a persons blood sugar drops they feel faint, shaky and hungry. So you automatically crave something high in sugar to fix your blood sugar. Also, years of consumption is thought to lead to insulin resistance. Basically, your body gets tired of being fooled, so stops making insulin until it knows what you are consuming is actually sugar, thought to be one on the many reasons why type 2 diabetes is becoming so popular.

Funny they didn't teach ME that in nursing school. They did teach me to cite my sources, and they also taught that at the college I got my bachelor's degree at.
  • I've never read anywhere that mangos cause weight gain. In fact, they have a low glycemic level and are thought to help with weight loss

Yeah. but if you eat 37 of them, you start to get problems :)
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    YOGURT with fruit! i am an idiot and one time i was like, `oh, 100 cal yogurts are wonderful nomnomnom` but they pack like 20 grams of (artificial) sugar a pop! thats like a candy bar! i didnt even read the nutrition label haha thats why i pay more attention to them now

^This.
  • FitLink
    Recently discovered bananas were not going to be kind to me. I prefer them when they are a little green. There is a chemical change in fruit as it ripens. Apparently, unripen fruits have more resistent starches which pretty much behave like fiber which can bloat you if you don't follow with water.

Fiber is a good thing. You do know that, right?
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    When I first started, I thought the word "salad" inherently meant "healthy".
    For anyone who is new to this, PLEASE THINK AGAIN!
    Unless you are preparing it yourself, you have no idea what kind of damage restaurants can cause to you with a salad, covered in greasy meat, fatty dressing and cheese, croutons etc.
    If you dont believe me, check Red Robins online nutrition calculator!

My favorite restaurant serves a Cobb Salad that comes in a bowl the size of my head. It has three kinds of meat, two kinds of cheese, eggs, avocado, and a creamy dressing. But there's some lettuce in there too, so that makes it a salad - therefore, it's healthy. QED
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    The only food I've seen gain weight was pasta.

It gets heavier when I cook it. I think it's just water weight though, from absorbing some water when I boil it.

L...O......FREAKING........L!
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    I know when I was younger I thought stuff like trail mix was okay to eat in massive quantities, and... here I am today lol

My mom always bought/cooked healthy food but neglected to mention how much I should be eating :(

^^ ^^ I love your hair. :)
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Frozen Grapes~ ate this religiously and they were loaded with carbs and sugar~!!
    Coffee.....with CREAMER! I cut it out all together and drink balck coffee or plain green tea now
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    This thread is scary.
  • HUMOUS!!!! was so annoyed when i found out it was really bad for you

Make it yourself and you wont have a problem. It is incredibly easy to make and it tastes better. Hummus is just chickpeas which are not bad for you.. But the same as I said before, if you eat a tub of it, you will start to have problems.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Frozen Grapes~ ate this religiously and they were loaded with carbs and sugar~!!
    Coffee.....with CREAMER! I cut it out all together and drink balck coffee or plain green tea now
    Why not coffee with milk or half and half?
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    oh gosh-you really realize these things once you're tracking more than one thing...
    like weight watchers meals, or any other frozen meal are ridiculous in sodium which keeps the weight on!
    that was my big eye-opener!!
    or salads (because of dressing or putting fried meats on it)
    or SUBWAY!! deli meat is awful in sodium.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    This thread is scary.

i agree. i see a lot of blanket statements on here with bits of sense in between.

i don't mean to call out this one example to offend, but the veggie/bean burger?
    are you saying it's "bad" because it has 225calories? if you're adding it to a healthy salad (like you referenced), that veggie/bean patty is likely getting you some valuable nutrition.

225calories is not BAD...unless you're putting it on top of the previous 4,000calories from that day and didnt exercise. ;)

i think the main point of this thread that needs to be reinforced is eating anything IN EXCESS is bad.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Oreos

why / when did you think oreos were healthy?
  • FitLink

Fruits are mostly carbs and sugar (which is another carb). Yes. And rather than religiously, I believe you mean copiously. Religiously means scrupulously or conscientiously. Copiously means in large quantities. Anything in large quantities is bad.
  • FitLink
    oh gosh-you really realize these things once you're tracking more than one thing...
    like weight watchers meals, or any other frozen meal are ridiculous in sodium which keeps the weight on!
    that was my big eye-opener!!
    or salads (because of dressing or putting fried meats on it)
    or SUBWAY!! deli meat is awful in sodium.

Pardon me? Sodium has negative health effects, but "keeps the weight on?" Nope.