Is there such a thing as TOO much water?

Options
2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The radio station was taken to court and lost $16.5m over the woman who died of water intoxication for a Wii
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rules-radio-station-jennifer-strange-water-drinking/story?id=8970712#.T5J3yrRYuzx
    10 employees were fired.

The coroner ruled it was water intoxication, which is nothing to do with not peeing. It's to do with drinking too much water. The clue is in the name.

Another water intoxication death is reported at http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/drugxtc1.html

If your pee is bright yellow or orange or even black you are probably dehydrated, other than that colour isn't a reliable indicator.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Dr Peter Berridge, a consultant anaesthetist at the Royal Oldham Hospital who has treated Ecstasy users, said powerful stimulants such as Ecstasy triggered release of ADH, a hormone that slows the action of the kidneys, even when excess water is in the body. "Water intoxication can occur after drinking as little as three litres. Under these circumstances, it causes headache, nausea and vomiting," he said.
    Dr Berridge said the advice from drug agencies to young people to drink plain water could have fatal consequences, as in Leah's case. They should drink water or soft drinks with salt added at the rate of two teaspoons per litre or isotonic sports drinks. If taken in excessive amounts these could lead to swelling in the body tissues but would not cause swelling of the brain because the would maintain plasma sodium levels.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    For the last 2 years I seem to be drinking tons of water! I used to drink about 7 cups a day, but now that turned into around 15 cups. I feel like every minute I'm either drinking water or thinking about drinking it. Am I drinking too much?!?!

No, your not drinking too much. Yes, it's possible to drink too much, but way more than you're drinking.