Flavoired instant oatmeal? Good or bad

Options

Replies

• taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This really shouldn't be an either-or question between the instant and the less processed stuff. I'm a big oatmeal fan, and cooking from scratch is one of my ways to have a good relationship with food and favour (economically) less processed products, so my normal preference is to have old-fashioned or steel-cut oats and take care of flavoring myself. However, convenience is a virtue, and the sachets of pre-packaged flavored instant stuff are a 100 times better snack at work than anything from a vending machine, so I have a packet of assorted ones in my desk drawer. (A store brand rather than Quaker, which I find a little too mushy.) I'd just pay attention to the amount of sugar and prefer brands without artificial flavors and sweeteners. But even they aren't really "bad" -- they just tend to spoil the fun for me a little.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "I'm in England and have Oat so Simple nearly every day. I get mine from Asda where its on offer quite alot. I'm having chocolate brownie flavour today :smile:"
    [/quote]

We only have Morrisons, Iceland and a smallish Co-Op. Nearest Asda is two hours drive away, lol - I'll have a look when I go on holiday in the summer!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the less processed steel cut oats and naturally flavor it. If I want it to cook faster I soak them over night
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I eat my breakfast at work. Microwavable oatmeal packets fit into my timeline. There's a lot worse foods I could be eating than processed microwable flavored oatmeal.
  • dany_m
    dany_m Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Those instant oatmeal packs are very high in sugar IMO. You'd be much better off mixing your own, and it works out to be cheaper too. My staple breakfast is 60g oats mixed with 5g sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. I add hot water, microwave for 20 seconds and then add a dash of milk. Very yummy and filling!

Or if you wanted to use the instant packs because of the flavor then mix it with some plain oats, to reduce the sweetness.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    I have to say, for me, there are worse choices out there for me if I'm reaching for one of those, I'm ok with it:)
  • imogenjade
    imogenjade Posts: 131
    Options
    its not great. its better to have plain normal porridge and add your own stuff. them flavoured instant oatmeal sachets actually make me crave sugar all day xx
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    For the guys in the UK Sainsburys do an Apple and Cinnamon one and Golden Syrup which pretty good though still not quite as yummy as the US Quaker ones.

I just make sure and stack my suitcase when I go over and bribe anyone I know to bring me back Cinnamon Spice and Maple flavours as they so good !

Customs must think I am mad as I always come home with loads of packets of Oatmeal , Crystal Light and Cinnamon toothpaste :laugh:
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What do you think of the Quaker flavored instant oatmeal packets? Strawberries & Cream....Banannas & Cream, etc.
    Yay or nay? A friend said to eat oatmeal but now I am questioning this as maybe she meant plain?

It says a packet has 12g of sugar, 3g protein, 2 g fat.

I eat that stuff all the time, anywhere from 2 to 6 packs of that stuff when im cycling off cell-tech and I stay lean as hell, but the thing is I only advise eating it post workout since the sugars are good for you at that time anyway. so if I work out twice in a day ill eat 3 packs after each workout. and of course theyre just delicious
  • mistymamas
    mistymamas Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    The Maple and Brown Sugar is a staple for me in the winter.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is good for you, but you can do a lot better than quaker instant. If I make oatmeal at home it's steel cut oats with either a little agave syrup or a little brown sugar with cinnamon and dried cranberries. If I buy instant, it's Oat Revolution oatmeal with flax seed. About the same as Quaker for sugar and calories, but the flax adds some extra fiber and protein.

I like to add some peanut butter to mine..mmmmmmm
  • loope1
    loope1 Posts: 14
    Options
    What do you think of the Quaker flavored instant oatmeal packets? Strawberries & Cream....Banannas & Cream, etc.
    Yay or nay? A friend said to eat oatmeal but now I am questioning this as maybe she meant plain?

It says a packet has 12g of sugar, 3g protein, 2 g fat.

If you are also concerned about nutrition and your body operating optimally, go with steel cut oats or even regular plain oatmeal, as both are far superior to instant. The instant flavored oatmeals are already processed so much, that your body does not have to work at breaking them down, and they have little if any fiber.

If time is a factor in instant vs. other, you can make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. You can also make overnight no cook oatmeal, such as Mango Almond Refrigerator Oatmeal, Blueberry Maple Refrigerator Oatmeal, Apple Cinnamon Refrigerator Oatmeal, Banana Cocoa Refrigerator Oatmeal, Raspberry Vanilla Refrigerator Oatmeal. I don't know what the nutritional values on these are, but since there aren't too many ingredients, you can customize them to your needs/taste.

Check out the following link for the 6 recipes for no cook refrigerator oatmeal: (She also has a fewrecipes for cooked steel oats at the bottom of the page - Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal, Slow Cooker Cherry Almond Steel-Cut Oatmeal, Slow Cooker, Banana & Coconut Milk Steel-Cut Oatmeal.)

http://www.theyummylife.com/blog/2012/03/293/Overnight,+No-Cook+Refrigerator+Oatmeal+--+A+healthy+breakfast+made+in+mason+jars+in+six+different+flavors!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I say bad. You can easily make your own tastier version with less added sugar. And random processed ingredients. You can buy a huge pack of plain instant oatmeal, add your own dried fruit, spices, nuts sugar and even protein powder and come out ahead. And change the flavors daily.

(Even better to get the instant steel cut oats)

I make proats a ton now

No matter what I do I cannot recreate the goodness of Quaker banana bread :C

LOL! For some reason I am not down with the banana in my oatmeal, but that is the only way my mom eats it. Maybe dried bananas from TJs + nuts, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg?
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I prefer steel-cut oats over the instant, myself - I like the texture and it's not as bland. But of course it's not as convenient as the instant packets.

When i do make it, I'll usually cook up a big batch and then dish up several individual servings that can be reheated in the microwave. Boom! Breakfast for a week.
  • ChristySeeksBalance
    ChristySeeksBalance Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm another that eats my breakfast at work, so I need quick and easy. I love the whatever and cream flavors, but they're too sweet for me. I usually eat two pakets, one regular and one flavored. Mixed together you still get the yummy flavor, but it's not quite so sweet.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    Way too processed for me
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I eat the Instant Quaker Oats Maple and Brown Sugar pretty much every work day. Sometimes add some fruit.
    Obviously, I like it a lot. :smile: It's a quick and filling breakfast.
    Ah, so you're the reason that flavor is never on my store shelves! :P
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I eat my breakfast at work. Microwavable oatmeal packets fit into my timeline. There's a lot worse foods I could be eating than processed microwable flavored oatmeal.

Agreed! It's much better than what I used to eat and I love the convenience. I don't add much to mine other than maybe some fruit and/or some chopped almonds.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Better for you than cereal IMO! I eat quaker instant maple and brown sugar everyday!