hummus - please share

Options
13»

Replies

• tigerpaw143
    Options
    also add sumac to the hummus.. It is a great spice sort of lemon meets chili powder
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I might be a bit of a crazy person, but every other week or so I go out of my way to visit a particular grocery store just because of its extensive hummus section. I definitely want to try some of the recipes listed here though :)
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Hummus

1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 can (19.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
    1/4 cup tahini
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions
    1.Set a steamer basket in a large pot. Fill with enough water to come just below basket; bring to a boil. Add potatoes; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a food processor.

2.Combine chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, oil, cumin, and garlic in the food processor. Puree, about 1 minute; thin with water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper and let cool; refrigerate, in an airtight container, up to 1 week. Serve with whole-wheat pita & crudites (like red pepper, carrots, broccoli)
  • damnedlady
    damnedlady Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use:
    1 can of chickpeas, rinsed
    juice from 1/2 lemon
    some extra virgin olive oil

To taste:
    fresh garlic
    salt flakes
    pepper
    coriander
    cumin

I blend that in a food processor and then add some water until I reach wanted texture and also taste for what I need to add to get it like I want it. You can also add chili, I do that sometimes.

I use it on bread, in wraps, with falafel, on veggie burgers or to dip carrots or pita bread in!