Starting May 1st. going to give up alcohol for a month!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I love my wine and my diet coke and jacks but I really think the alcohol consumption almost every night has definitely stalled my weight loss and I've noticed in the past few weeks the scale went UP!:noway:

Has anyone given up alcohol for a period of time and if so, did you lose weight? I hate to give it up but May is my month to eat completely clean! No alcohol, sugar, grains or dairy. I'll see what happens! :sad:

I was going to start Sunday but I can't watch my beloved Flyers play without a drink or 2!:drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I never drink any alcohol and I've been losing weight quite steadily. I can only support your goal!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks!
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I find when I drink I snack.... there in lies my issues... I have a beer here and there but not often it helps.
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I've tried to give alcohol for a month I end up getting really bored and then partying hard after two weeks! This time I'm only having a couple of glasses of wine on a Saturday night within my calories and it hasn't effected my weightloss whereas I think the deprivation did.
  • starcharm3
    Options
    i kinda want to join, but i'm afraid i'll fail. i was doing well most of march as far as drinking, but then i was given a bottle of wine as a gift, then i went to a boring wedding and needed a mai tai.

good luck to you though.
  • crysaldivar
    Options
    I gave up drinking at home a couple of months ago, now the only time I drink is on special occasions or at get togethers with friends. I definetly can tell the difference! My body is not retaining as much fluid and I am no longer starving the day after drinking trying to replace all my lost nurishments. Hope it helps!
  • Danielledee86
    Danielledee86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stopped having even ONE occasional drink for a month and it worked wonders for me! (My drink of choice was rum and diet)

I found it a way better use of my calories to eat something nutritious and it payed off :)

Good luck!
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar and yeast (in ANY FORM, including fruit) for six weeks and lost 9lbs. Haven't had a drop of alcohol... it's tough, and time-consuming, and I'm hoping it was worth it (the weight loss wasn't intentional, but a happy side effect!)

If you want to, you can do it. Good luck!
  • ckes84
    ckes84 Posts: 52
    Options
    I was drinking Pinot Grigio daily for over 2 years. During the fall and winter of 2011 I was consuming way too much for a variety of reasons. At the end of December I decided to quit all alcohol (and cigarettes). Without exercise I lost 10lbs just cutting out the alcohol. Good luck! :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I gave up for the month of February. I don't think my calorie intake was that much different in a way (I just treated myself to chocolate instead, LOL) but my motivation was much higher and and I didn't give in to savoury crispy snacks, which are another vice) or Chinese takeaway (I think that's number four now... enough about my vices!).

I lost 16il in February, but it was the start of MFP so probably it's not surprising to lose more at first.

I felt better in myself; more in control, although with some moments of boredom when I'd normally have a glass of wine. It wasn't difficult really, just a question of being in the right mindset, and I learned that its easier for me to give up completely for a defined period than just to cut it right back.

Anyway I am planning to give up again from tomorrow (spending the weekend with friends who don't drink) until 29th May when I go on holiday. Would you like to add me and we can do some support?
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I say good for you! I don't drink much, and I am trying to make sure I don't have more than 2 glasses of wine a week :)
  • cld630
    cld630 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am praying for you. I know how hard it is to give up things your enjoy. I love KFC and Mcdonalds. (I know Nasty) but I love it and I haven't have either in two weeks and going steady. Have faith! You can do it
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Better you than me :drinker:
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Nope I wont give it up. I love my beer I rather eat less during the week and drink on the weekend then give it up.
    I want to make a life change but alcohol is in that life change so I make it work, me giving it ip isnt realistic so I will continue the way im going.....
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I cut way back for a few weeks and definitely lost a bunch. Now I am back at drinking too many beers and I'm not losing like I want to. So I am going to cut back again to jump-start my weight loss. You can do it!

And there is a group of us on here you may like, here is the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/639-like-minded-lushes

It is a no-judgment zone and I've made several good friends through that group. Good luck to you in achieving your goals!
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    I did for a little over a month didn't notice a huge change. I only would drink like 2xs a month but I would DRINK!
  • cheskax
    cheskax Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It may work for you but when I gave up drinking I didn't lose any weight I gained weight lol wtf right?
  • Caro1991
    Caro1991 Posts: 97
    Options
    Wish i could join, but i can support if thats ok... I just turned 21 a month ago so am trying to have fun every now and then, but i havent had alcohol in 2 weeks since i started my "diet" and have lost almost 5lbs in does two weeks. Bust is wine bad as well? I dont drink everyday just on special occasions.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    <
    hasn't had a drop of alcohol since St. Paddy's Day :wink: If I can do it, so can you!!!