Buying Collector Items For Your Kids...

Options
DietingMommy08
DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
I am so notorious for buying stuff for my son that he CANNOT play with.
Since he was a baby I have been collecting hotwheels for him FOREVER.
I also have some disney things up in the closet that I dont dare put out for him to see bcuz even tho hes never attempted to touch the cars I know he couldnt keep his lil fingers off those.

I was cruising thru amazon when I found yet another thing I wanna start collecting for him.
Something hes just not gonna be able to resist.

Am I torturing him? Lol.

Anybody else start a collection for thier kids?

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Buying your kid toys they can't play with seems cruel to me. If you don't want him to touch them, don't let him see them.

What is the point of the collections? Do you see it as an investment? If so, you can do better.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    Buying your kid toys they can't play with seems cruel to me. If you don't want him to touch them, don't let him see them.

What is the point of the collections? Do you see it as an investment? If so, you can do better.

He understands they are not meant to be touched.
    The toys I buy him have COLLECTORS numbers on them.
    So do the other things that I buy him.

I dont think its torture because he knows better. Lol.
  • kati37
    kati37 Posts: 61
    Options
    I wouldn't call it torture necessarily. In a few years he will come to appreciate them not just as toys but as collectors items. I don't collect things for my kids. They have chosen to collect things in the past and I try to remind them how they should be handled, just so they aren't sorry they ruined it or alowed it to be ruined. For example dolls ( I have girls) I remind them not to take their clothes off or get their hair nappy. My 8 year old plays with her doll collection and gives lessons to other children on how to play with them gently. LOL thats her own doing. They are extensive to the point children have lost interest in playing with them, and even I am like "Let up a little" LOL
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Not torture lol as long as you buy him things he can actually play with too :) He will thank you when he's older and makes some $$ off of them.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I come from a family with hoarding tendencies, so I have a different perspective. I don't buy things for my kids that they can't play with. It just seems mean. I also don't start collections for them. If they want to collect things, that's their choice, not mine. I'm not going to set my kids up with a bunch of stuff to carry around.
  • iwillrideagain
    Options
    im collecting crystals for my oldest and steif bears for my youngest they get stuff that they can play with as well they are allowed to look at the items and even help with the choice so you are not alone :smile:
  • shayjgordon
    shayjgordon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My daughter's name is Shelby and whenever I come across a hot wheel that's a Shelby I get it for her. She's still too young to really care. I think I'll just keep them in a box and show her when she is old enough to understand. Heck, maybe I'll buy 2 of each and have one to play with and one to keep.

...and yes, we named her after the car
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    does he *want* to be a collector?

how old is he?
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I think you should stop sugar-coating it. YOU want to collect these things for your son (which is great! Awesome investment potential!) However, he wants to play with them, and you won't let him. I don't think "knowing better" makes it ok. That's not fair to him at all. If you want to start another collection, fine, just don't pretend it's "his" until you're ready for it to really BE his, and accept what his choices are with HIS toys. Or buy two, one for him to have now, and one to keep in the box.
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    All the things my mother collected for me I consider just junk to get rid of.

I have a friend who collected Beanie Babies to fund their grandchildren's college fund. Oh well, hope those kids get a scholarship, because those collectible Beanie Babies are not worth much more than what they paid for them.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    does he *want* to be a collector?

how old is he?

Good point. I don't see the point in collecting things for which my children might have no interest at all. If you want to regard them as investments with potential for financial gain, then I would just keep them secure and not even let the kids know/worry about them.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    To be honest, I think you should stop sugar-coating it. YOU want to collect these things for your son (which is great! Awesome investment potential!) However, he wants to play with them, and you won't let him. I don't think "knowing better" makes it ok. That's not fair to him at all. If you want to start another collection, fine, just don't pretend it's "his" until you're ready for it to really BE his, and accept what his choices are with HIS toys. Or buy two, one for him to have now, and one to keep in the box.

Im pretty sure i said I AM collecting stuff for my son.
    Hes only 3.

He thinks collecting stuff for his "cluckshin" is a box of rocks.
    He knows what a collection is. Lol.

He knows they are his, hes never tried to play with them.
    Hes not much of a toys kinda kid.

Hes got PLENTY of toys he dont even play with.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think it's kinda weird you collect stuff for your son that you won't let him touch.

I really think it's a collection for you at this point.

Let him play with his toys. And just collect stuff you think is neat and maybe give to him down the road but don't make it stuff specifically for him and tell him it's for him. Won't make much sense.

I don't think it's right the way you do it. Just sayin'! :noway:
    So yeah. I think its torture LOL. Collecting is cool but not like that haha
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    buy two of each one to play with and one to collect. That's what I do ( for myself:happy:) I can hand them down when he gets older,( I'm kind of a hot wheels nerd.)
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Buy the collectors edition, then one he can play with. Problem solved!

JM
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you are collecting things as an investment for him to cash in on in the future, you really should keep it in storage somewhere. Or are you wanting him to "keep up" the "collection"? If so, be prepared for him to not care. I would be wary of buying "collectable" toys. Two words: beanie babies. Why not put the money you would have spent on things in a savings account?
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything that says "collectible" or "limited edition" isn't worth crap. I worked in a gift shop for years, starting on the tail end of the Beanie Baby craze. One word: Hummels.

Buy something because you enjoy it, not because you'll think it'll be worth a lot of money. In most cases it won't be.