Phenteramine-DR asked if I want to take it....

Options
Saw the DR today and asked her to check my thyroid since it runs highly in my family. She asked why I was concerned about that and I told her because I've been working out and watching what I eat for a year and lost only 35 pounds. I already work with a nutritionist and she thinks I am doing great. So the DR asked me if I wanted to try PHENTERMINE....to boost my metabolism. I don't know what to think.....should I or shouldn't I? She said to take it for 3 months to 6 months, but no longer because FDA won't allow more than 6 months because of it can cause dependancy.

Replies

• Presley0381
    Options
    I have been prescribed Phen twice already...First time I lost 80 lbs in roughly 4 months or less...Second time lost about 30 lbs in same time frame. You do become immune to it but I can tell you that it worked wonders with curbing my appetite and giving me an extra burst of energy. There were some days when I just couldn't sit down!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I took it for a month and really liked it. My doctor wouldn't prescribe it again for me though. I felt pretty good, and had plenty of energy, and didn't feel like I was starving all the time (despite the fact I was starving with only 700-800 calories a day). But I see her a minimum of once a month, so she's constantly watching for side effects. And I check in with a nurse there weekly.

As long as you're under direct care, it shouldn't be an issue. As I said, it worked well for me. I'd do it again, if she'd let me! I'm on a different appetite suppressant that works almost as good, but I rarely take it because I'm eating enough now!
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I have noticed that some doctors just prescribe medicines - not necessarily because it's best for you. Not saying all doctors do that but some do. If you are on a medication that you don't really need it brings in money for the doctor to prescribe it, the pharmacy to fill it, and the insurance to cover it. Sometimes it just seems like a giant money pit.

If you are working with a nutritional, seeing results, and feel good why would you need to be placed on something?

(please no one be offended by my opinion- it is my opinion based on my experiences with doctors that have just upped prescriptions instead of taking the time to look for other ways to alleviate my problems.)
  • shauna9909
    shauna9909 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My Dr started me on in a couple of weeks ago. I have a huge difference in my energy level. It does help boost the weight loss. I know many are against it and that is why I haven't even mentioned it here on MFP, I've seen people attacked for asking questions like this. You could always try it and if you don't like it then stop taking it. Warning.......I have THE WORST cotton mouth! lol. So make sure to drink plenty of fluids and chew on gum. Good luck!!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The biggest side effects I had were bad insomnia and extreme b****iness (I'm not usually that way either!). The side effects got to be intolerable around the time that it stopped working for me. Of course, I gained all the weight back. I don't know anyone who has lost the weight and kept it off that way, though I'm sure there have to be a few. If you're losing weight without it, I'd say just keep doing what you're doing, even if it is slow.

Phentermine is a tool just like a nicotine patch, so no judging, but in my experience it's not a very effective tool, sadly.
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Options
    I have been reading reviews on it and they say a lot of insomnia, dry mouth, headaches, and irritability.....I'm just not sure about it...I'm half and half but don't want to gain the weight back. I'm wondering if I am still active through out taking the pill and afterwards will I still gain back like others say they had?
  • s0ready
    Options
    The biggest side effects I had were bad insomnia and extreme b****iness (I'm not usually that way either!). The side effects got to be intolerable around the time that it stopped working for me. Of course, I gained all the weight back. I don't know anyone who has lost the weight and kept it off that way, though I'm sure there have to be a few. If you're losing weight without it, I'd say just keep doing what you're doing, even if it is slow.

Phentermine is a tool just like a nicotine patch, so no judging, but in my experience it's not a very effective tool, sadly.

while you say you gained back the weight....were you active during your session of taking the pill and eating well? did you maintain that after talking the pill?
  • shauna9909
    shauna9909 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I know several (by several I mean like 5 lol) ladies that took it, lost weight, and have still maintained the weight. Only 1 of the ladies has gained back about 5 lbs. I have read several stories about people gaining back the weight......I don't think they maintained after they lost.
  • Presley0381
    Options
    I did not gain the weight back right away...I actually maintained the weight loss well for a whole year until I got pregnant with my 3rd daugther. The first time I tried it I did not have terrible mood swings or bad side effects except for the insomnia. I had a really hard time sleeping. The second time I tried it my mood swings were horrible. They got so bad that my family begged for me to stop taking the pills. So I did. They helped a lot though and I think everyone might be different.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options

This ^^^ The dry mouth as well. Mostly I was super b*#@y. My friend was so irritable that her hubby insisted she stop taking it. I don't believe it boost metabolism at all. I think it just decreases your appetite so you can eat less calories.
  • s0ready
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm seriously going to give this some thought!
  • VenomousDuck
    Options
    As a chef and having $20,000 of food around, if not for phentermine i would not have lost 82 pounds. It is a tool, and it helps me sooooo much. I have taken it for 8 months in four month blocks with a month off in berween. Start a new round tomorrow!
  • Kjbisch
    Kjbisch Posts: 1
    Options
    I began my weight loss crusade in Jan of 2010 after buying an elliptical machine and vigorously counting calories with absolutely no success I went to a Dr. There I was given Phentermine this was Oct 2011. I have lost 37 lbs and taken it off and on during this time. Like a month on month off. I have reached my goal but now I am scared. Especially with all the negativity attached to Phentermine. I truly believe if you do the work and keep tracking calories and be aware of your situation you can maintain. I would love to hear more success stories rather than downers.
  • sdardar
    sdardar Posts: 16
    Options
    I have taken phenteramine in the past. I lost weight and gained it back plus. Right now I currently take an all natural weight loss supplement called ACE that curbs my appetite and cuts my cravings as well as gives me energy. Does basically the same as phenteramine but without the drugs. Just all Natural.
  • Prefessa
    Prefessa Posts: 90
    Options
    Phentermine is really great if you work out....you sweat like a pig and burn calories like a furnace. The BIG problem was discontinuation. I was on it until I hit my Goal weight and it took a long time to wean off. As soon as I got off of it though....I gained weight back and there was no amount of dieting or working out that could seem to stop the weight from coming back on.

Net Net...I am Waaaay ahead, but to date I have put back 13 lbs out of 85 that I lost and if it wasn't for the fact that I work out religiously 6 days a week, I think I would have gained even more weight back.

In the long run...pills are not the answer...but after my doctor watched me struggle for 5 months of DAILY exercise (Mostly Spin Class, Cycling and some resistance training) he was afraid that I would just give up or get injured trying to move my weight.

If you do take it...try and not take it for more than 90 days...then take a break. I was on this stuff too long because quite frankly it didn't bother me at all and it was working...the other thing I would do was to take a full week off every time I got a new script. Then the drug stayed effective longer. The drug leaves your system in 5 days....but there is withdrawl....You basically sleep the first 2 days your off of it...your so tired you cant function.
  • exdisneychick
    Options
    Two years ago almost to the day I started taking it. I lost from 206 down to 151 in 3 1/2 months. I am taking it again because I gained all back but like 12 lbs. It was totally my fault for gaining the weight back. I let guy drama and llife stress me out too much. This time I plan on leaving the weight, drama, and stress behind. I am in a better place with myself and my life to be able to make it work this time.

As for the side effects of the med, yes there is the dry mouth. That has been all I have had to deal with either time. This time my daughter is taking it also. She is a teenager and has lost about 19 lbs since Feb. I am down 20 lbs. Im not losing it as fast as before because this time I am eating. We are making sure we eat our recommended calories. Before I was eating 500 cals from protein and then my servings of veggies. Basically only getting 700 cals max. Thats why I lost so much. I am happy with our results thus far.

I think you should try the med. And if it works and you can learn along the way, great. If not, then its not because you didnt try.

Good luck.
  • Arien78
    Arien78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time sleeping! Although it worked really well. Might be something you want to try. If you don't like it then stop taking it. I am not taking it now. I talked way to much while I was on it. My husband thought I was going crazy:)
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What a lot of people will not understand or won't take the time to try to learn, is that Phentermine is a prescription medication. It is something that you and your doctor discuss and decide upon together, and you are under the supervision of a doctor while you are taking it. If you and your doctor decided that this is the best way to go for the goals and issues you have in your life, don't listen to other people. It's not a "diet pill" you randomly picked up at GNC. I absolutely hate when people try to offer "all natural" pills as an alternative because there is absolutely NO definition for that phrase. There's no regulation for things being labeled "natural" and if you look at the packaging there's always a disclaimer "these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA." Phentermine is a prescription, and yes it has side effects but at least it has been through clinical trials and monitored by someone.

I've been on it for about a month and a half and after the first 1-2 weeks the side effects have subsided almost completely. It gives me energy and curbs appetitie, but yes, it is a TOOL to use. It is not a miracle that will permanently remove weight from you while you continue to eat whatever you want and not work out. It is supposed to be something to help you while you learn better lifestyle habits. As long as you go into it with open eyes, and really are honest with yourself about what you need to work on, it will be helpful. For me, I've had several injuries in the last year, the worst of which was fracturing my spine in a car accident. It was hard to even walk for a long time and some of the weight I lost came back with a vengance. Carrying extra weight makes it even more painful to try to work out with an injury. I've also had other health issues and been on medications and such that make you gain weight and make it very hard to lose weight. I finally got off all the other prescription drugs, but after months of working my *kitten* off trying to drop some of the weight again, I wasn't losing an ounce. Hence, my doctor suggested this medication to assist me getting back on track. But he knows that I'm not trying to use this as a "magic bullet" so to speak. I'm using it to try to get back on track. I run 10 miles a week, command PT three times a week, Jillian Michaels DVD's 3 times a week, softball team...etc. It's a weight loss AID. Just make sure you use it as such.

And tell the haters to shove it haha.

Just make sure you are eating enough when you first start using this. You won't realize you're hungry. Eat anyway when you know you need to. And if you have to take any drug tests for work make sure they know about this med. It will fail you on a drug test. Drink lots of water and make sure you take it RIGHT AWAY when you wake up, so it has more time to wear off before night time. At first I didn't sleep a lot but I didn't seem to need to either haha. I do get edgy sometimes, or have bursts of temper, but I know why so it's easier to control.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Saw the DR today and asked her to check my thyroid since it runs highly in my family. She asked why I was concerned about that and I told her because I've been working out and watching what I eat for a year and lost only 35 pounds. I already work with a nutritionist and she thinks I am doing great. So the DR asked me if I wanted to try PHENTERMINE....to boost my metabolism. I don't know what to think.....should I or shouldn't I? She said to take it for 3 months to 6 months, but no longer because FDA won't allow more than 6 months because of it can cause dependancy.

Took it twice because it did curb my appitite (not so sure about the metabolism part) and I knew others who took it as well. It worked great, then I gained (along with others) the weight back because I personally didnt eat. Soon as I stopped, I was starving! Lost 20 gained 30 and others kept saying they need to get back on it, but I decided that I cannot take it forever so I needed to find a different route. I even tried to use it as a "quick jump start" but failed as well.

Good luck.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I tried it for 2 weeks. Worked awesome, I didn't have any appetite at all. Unfortunately I couldn't sleep and my hair started to fall out. I guess those are well know side effects. I didn't want to go bald (no offense to those that are but doesn't look as attractive on a female) so I stopped taking it.

I would say give it a try and see if it works for you. Can't hurt trying.