Alcohol options

Options
Hi,
Wondering what your experiences are with alcohol, I enjoy a Heinekin or Appleton Rum & Coke Zero most nights but wondering if there may be a better alternative.
Cheers,
T

Replies

• katelouiseoz
    Options
    Hey, my BIGGEST down fall is alcohol! I love a glass of vino most nights but try to have just the one with dinner. If i'm out I tend to drink Vodak and Coke Zero or Vodka lime and soda :)
  • agrzybow
    agrzybow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Red wine is good. I think 2-3 drinks/week is actually "recommended" (if you are over 21, of course), and I like to have a glass of wine on occasion :)
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Red wine is good. I think 2-3 drinks/week is actually "recommended" (if you are over 21, of course), and I like to have a glass of wine on occasion :)

Do you mean a recommended allowance as in salt, sat fat etc or an actual recommendation to drink 3 times a week?
  • SheilaKT
    SheilaKT Posts: 9
    Options
    When I drink, I have tequila on the rocks. It has the lowest calories, no carbs. It is an acquired taste but if you find the right one, it is pretty good.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Well, two weeks ago my experience was waking up in the ER with a swollen/bruised face, black eye, and fat lip. I fought the pavement and the pavement won.

As for drinks themselves, beer (preferably Sam Adams), and rum and coke are my choices (or whatever is free).
  • xxxbloodfartxxx
    xxxbloodfartxxx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I drink almost everynight but it can slow the weight loss . i have been drinking more lately and have noticed i have hit a platue.going to try and slow it down a bit =) wish me luck , but when i drink i like rum and diet coke ,fat tire beer or dubhe (dubhe is super high in calories but is soooooo damn good)
  • jazz0matic
    Options
    beer is worse than cocktails and mixers can be treacherous. if you want to drink, pick your favorite thing and have one. you may find that by indulging in something you can ward off other pitfalls.

I personally enjoy a glass of nice red wine most nights. when I go out I try to be sensible with my choices. I love The St Germane Cocktail (elder flower liquor, champagne, and lemon juice) but I learned to switch out the champagne for soda water and I'm just as thrilled and left with a fraction of the calories (and cost!). but don't fool yourself, all alcohol is empty sugary calories that will just hamper your progress.
  • ctraill
    ctraill Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Beer is the worst thing you can drink if you're trying to watch calories. I indulge in wine pretty frequently (I'd take red wine over chocolate or any other craving most nights of the week, personally) but I budget my calories for it and I try not to go crazy. If I'm going out or having a girl's night, I like to budget half a bottle of red wine (2 glasses of 6oz pours) and that does me fine. It's about 275 calories which isn't terrible and probably not much worse for you than grabbing an ice crime pint (except that I would eat all the ice cream and probably not drink a whole bottle of wine). If you prefer mixed drinks, just mix with diet soda and try not to go crazy. I always remind myself that it's not only the calories that will kill my weight loss plans if I got nuts but the greasy food I'll probably eat that'll really set me back. That helps me keep my drinking at a reasonable level/pace.
  • agrzybow
    Options

Do you mean a recommended allowance as in salt, sat fat etc or an actual recommendation to drink 3 times a week?

Sorry, I didn't reference an article or anything (how silly of me). I will do my best to find my source, but here is a good article in the meantime:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/442554-the-recommended-alcohol-intake-per-week/
  • agrzybow
    Options
    Here's another one with more in-depth study:

http://www.theheart.org/article/1189421.do
  • alars09
    alars09 Posts: 27
    Options
    I had way to much Vino Saturday night. Feeling guilty today :)
  • agrzybow
    Options
    Last one for now:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol/SC00024

I will let you draw your own conclusions from these studies. Obviously, if you are an alcoholic, you should avoid drinking altogether.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Try Bud Select 55 or Miller 64
    •Bud Select 55 – 55 calories, 1.9 g carbs
    •MGD Light 64 – 64 calories, 2.4 g carbs
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    2-3 drinks per week? I'm a 12-pack in 1 sitting kind of guy. Nothing is better than running 20 miles on Saturday morning and then getting harmered all day long. Don't hold back, just run long then you can do whatever you want.

PS - no need to comment, I fully understand this is neither healthy or recommended but I love it!
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sobriety and Endorphins...
  • dmf80
    Options
    Sex, drugs, endorphins, and booze! Live it up a little!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Rum and diet coke. Only 65 cals
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    This is always so tough for me too! I do a lot of wine mixed with seltzer water or I've recently been going vodka with just water and a lime. Acquired taste and takes a long time to sip!
  • dmf80
    Options
    NO.....diet coke has chemicals that slow metabolism. GOOGLE it and stay of wikipedia. Drink full bodied beer and lots of it. Then run a few extra miles the next day.