When you say "no sugar"...

Options
Do you mean that you ingest absolutely NOTHING with sugar or just stuff that's high in sugar?

I've been monitoring my sugar intake for a few weeks now and I find it incredibly difficult staying below 50g a day. Mind you, none of it is what would be considered "added" sugar. It's all from tomatoes, wheat breads, vegetables, soy milk, etc. (Diary is open if you have any comments)

I'm just wondering what people mean when they say they go "sugar free." Even staying below 25g a day seems a little far-fetched to me.

Replies

• cld630
    cld630 Posts: 7
    Options
    In my opinion its impossible to stay away from sugars. stays in the low sugar range is what I do. I stay with things that say Sugar Free or under 6grams per item or try too.
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It does seem practically impossible to completely cut out sugar, especially when it is naturally in fruits & veggies, and when it sneaks into things you wouldn't think of as being sweets. I'm trying to cut back a lot and check nutrition labels. I don't like artificial sweeteners so I try to look for things that just have less sugar added.

I'm a fan of Greek yogurt and that's usually what I eat for breakfast, but when I saw that the amount of sugar in it was half my daily allowance, I couldn't believe it. A friend recently recommended Kroger Carb Master yogurt which only has 3 g of sugar and it's not bad.
  • IslandGurl27
    Options
    My personal trainer is on a no-sugar crusade with me and what she counts as "sugar" is anything that is added (aka refined sugar). Things that occur naturally in fruit, bread, milk, etc., is ok. I was also advised to use more non-processed forms of sweetener like honey if I had to. I also had to cut out my fave greek yogurt cause it has soooo much sugar. I took a quick peek at your diary and it looks great, except for the protein bar which I imagine has lots of sugar.

I find it really hard though myself. I often forget I'm supposed to be cutting out sugar! lol. So any type of baked good (muffins, cookies etc.,) and processed white sugar. Just go natural.
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've started monitoring it more. I think today I ended at 47g. There were some thing I was eating that I had no idea had so much sugar in it. I'm starting to filter out those foods that are already in my household and to make better decisions next time I am grocery shopping.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i had 34 today.

i try my best to avoid processed sugar, and things with sugar added. I don't eat a lot of fruit either. lots of veggies.
  • J0ET
    J0ET Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I stay away from processed sugar & some fruits that are very high in sugar. Somebody mentioned sugars that naturally occur in bread - there's nothing natural about bread, it's completely processed. However, if you need bread, check out Julian Bakery, they have very low carb, no carb, gluten free, blah blah blah... that may help you out. Eat more veggies, less fruit. Just because it's natural, doesn't mean it will help with weight loss goals.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The protein bar only has 3g and it's yummy so I'll keep eating those :P

I'm actually trying to gain muscle and a lot of people recommended cutting out sugar and dairy. I've been pretty much successful on the dairy, but sugar seems impossible.

Is there any bread that anyone has seen in a store that has little to no sugar? I've never found any.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I can easily blow my sugar level with breakfast. I like kefir and even unsweetened it contains 12g. I track my sugar by subtracting the dairy, fruit and veggie sugars and considering what is left. I find that my body responds well even I just reduce refined sugar.
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Just remember that when something says it has sugar....it has that...& probably more. Lots of different names for "hidden" sugars. I didn't realize this until I really started to look & find all the names for sugars. I personally stay away from almost all sugar, especially processed. I use Stevia as a sweetener, I stay away from some fruits high in sugar & I don't do any kind of carb except that from a veggie...every once in a while I will give I'm to a piece of melba toast as a crouton on a salad but not often.