Am I doing something wrong?

I've been on my weight loss journey since March 2 and so far I've lost 26lbs. While I am extremely proud of myself, I haven't seen any big losses the past few weeks. I'm talking 5+lbs. My SW was 287 and my current weight is 261. I was eating the calories that MFP had pre-determined for me, which is about 1500 calories, but then my trainer told me to stay between 1200-1400 calories so that I could lose more.

I've been staying as close to 1200 as possible and not eating the calories that I burn off (I work out everyday). I've read a lot about eating the calories that you burn off but I'm also in the obese category so I don't think that this applies to me.

Today my weigh-in said I lost 2.2lbs and last week I lost just over 3lbs. Should I be losing the weight more quickly or am I just being impatient? Any advice is welcomed!

Replies

• iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Staying between 12-1400 cals doesn't mean only eat 1200.

I personally would go back up to 1500 because this site works.

That being said it's unhealthy to lose 5 or more pounds a week.

The first week is a big loss but you can't maintain that. 2-3 pounds is great. You are doing fine.
  • Staying between 12-1400 cals doesn't mean only eat 1200.

The first week is a big loss but you can't maintain that. 2-3 pounds is great. You are doing fine.

I agree with you 100%. I honestly wasn't happy with my trainer so I began to avoid her and it turns out she got fired from the gym I go to just last week. Guess my hunch was right!

I felt better when I was eating 1500 calories a day. I had more energy and I was making better choices. I've been so hungry the past couple of weeks. I think I was being too hard on myself.

Success doesn't happen over night! :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    eat your exercize calories. really. do it.
    And don't stress.. its normal to lose pretty quickly at first and then have it level off to a slower pace, or sometimes no pace at all...which is frustrating, but it IS normal. Hang in there, keep exercizing, keep logging your foods, and you can do this! Have faith!
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    I think your calories may be too low. I am 150 and eating 1500 calories/day and losing .5 lb/week. I have about 10 or so lbs to go. Maybe figure out your BMR and TDEE and shoot for something between the two for calorie goal? And Yes, eat back some/most of your exercise calories.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    it DOES apply to you. You are not loosing because you are not fueling your body to loose.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Make sure you take your measurements. Sometimes when the scale doesn't show a loss, the tape measure will.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member

I agree with you 100%. I honestly wasn't happy with my trainer so I began to avoid her and it turns out she got fired from the gym I go to just last week. Guess my hunch was right!

I felt better when I was eating 1500 calories a day. I had more energy and I was making better choices. I've been so hungry the past couple of weeks. I think I was being too hard on myself.

You have the answer right there... it doesn't happen overnight, but if you are losing 2 pounds or more a week that is already very fast weight loss - and to be honest, you probably won't keep losing at that rate for ever. As you lose weight and get fitter the pounds will come off more slowly, but you just have to keep going and you'll get there. You've already learnt that eating too low doesn't give you energy - stick to your 1500 so you'll feel good as you get healthier.
    Keep up the good work!
  • Charlie175
    Charlie175 Posts: 232 Member
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    fitnessfrog.com

Check out these websites. I was really surprised at the calorie goal it gave me.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member

You've got it right, here. And losing 2 lbs a week is great! Be aware as you get closer to goal weight that it will slow down to 1 lb a week at some point; that is still a great amount.
  • I found that when I tried to do the 1200 calories I was hungry. Then I was more tempted and sometimes gave into the snacking temptation. Now that I have switched back to the 1500 cal it is more than enough to keep me satisfied. I would suggest this for you. It is normal to plateau!!!!!! At this point it doesn't mean you aren't changing, as you may be losing inches and not pounds. Hang in there.
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    You should eat your exercise calories. It's too hard to maintain if you don't and it's worked for me. Plus it encourages me to exercise so I can eat more :)
  • mcott1012
    mcott1012 Posts: 27 Member
    Wow... it sounds like your hunch was right on the trainer ;). And my journey seems to be very close to yours. For the first little while I was losing 2-4 lbs per week. Then I started over-thinking things and trying to keep my net cals as close to 1200 as possible, no matter how much I worked out and my weight loss pretty much stopped. About three weeks ago I totally changed how I was doing things ( I stopped weighing myself every week and started just aiming to keep my cal count in the green, but as close to my daily goal as possible). I got on the scale this morning, and what do you know... I'm down 4 lbs!! So just be patient and eat healthily, I've done the crazy rapid weightloss thing in the past, and not only do you feel like crap while your doing it, it never lasts! Good luck my dear, you can do this!!
  • sschmidt928
    sschmidt928 Posts: 39 Member
    Super fast weight loss doesn't generally stick, and it's really hard on your body. It's so much better to lose it more slowly and allow your body to adjust. If this is a lifestyle change you're aiming for, baby steps are truly the way to go. I know it's frustrating, believe me - I am going down very slowly myself. Hang in - you're doing an awesome job and a big high five to you for getting up and getting started on the journey.
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Go figure. I was at 1700 cal on MFP in March when I signed up for a trainer. Granted, my weight wasn't moving. Trainer says I should be at 1500 so I go there. I lose 5 pounds right away and then plateau. I go back up to 1700 last week and have now lost another 2 pounds.
  • avartikyan
    avartikyan Posts: 1 Member
    When you work out you gain muscle and burn fat. Muscle is heavier than fat, therefore you dont see any loss, and at first might actually see a gain. I can tell by my pants, even if the scale shows I havent lost any weight, my pants are loose (yyyeeeiii!!)
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Sounds like you've gotten some good responses. I agree with increasing your calories. I hit plateaus and once I increased my calories my weight loss would pick up again. But 2 pounds a week is awesome weight loss, just keep doing what you're doing. You'll get there if you are persistent. Best wishes!!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Yep! You are being impatient! :smile: Gradual weight loss will not only allow your skin to keep up and shrink up, but will make you more likely to be successful in keeping the weight off long term. Up your calories a bit!:bigsmile:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    May I ask why in the hell you're expecting to lose 5+ pounds a week?
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    You're metabolism is more likely coming to a grinding hault do to your low calories.

halt*
  • tatlona12
    tatlona12 Posts: 13
    You are loosing weight super fast!