The guy in the apartment above me....

Options
2»

Replies

• DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Screw subwoofers to the ceiling under his bedroom and casually watch loud movies at 0200 on the same days he decides to do jumping jacks.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Send in regular reports to the apt management. Our neighbors have a massive stereo system they play at all hours, including 8 in the morning. Our apt has a patrol you can call that will take care of it. Our management said if we issue enough complaints, they can threaten to evict them so if it's really bad, we call them.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I used to live in an apartment building. I had the same lady living upstairs for nearly 3 years. She was probably in her mid 60's..... I was so fortunate as to hear her and one of her many bf's going at it at least twice a week.

....That's twice a week, minimum, for nearly three years....

I'd have cut off my right leg to have a normal neighbor who just exercised...*sigh*
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've learned thru the years not to live above or below anyone. I enjoy condo/apartment life. But I used to have an upstairs neighbors who played basketball in their apartment at midnight, or blasted heavy metal music. When I was the upstairs neighbor, my downstairs neighbor complained when my 2 year old jumped up and down. This was not in the middle of the night. She went to bed at 7 or 7:30 back then. Now I live in a townhouse style condo. End unit so I have one neighbor. Sometimes I hear them but they never bother me.
  • turtleferrets
    Options
    i HAD neighbors that had sex very loudly. No one will hear from them again...i mean they moved somewhere else shortly thereafter

Hilarious

As for the problem, maybe try talking to the apartment manager?
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    trade apartments
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I lived on the third floor of a three story apartment building once... and I had a fooseball table... and we would play it all hours of the night... I was an @$$ hole.

I would like to apologize to the world for my past transgressions and poor communal living decorum.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Why are people making suggestions about things that you should do (get earplugs, turn up your TV/radio) when this is a problem that needs to be handle through the manager.
    Most apartment complexes have "quiet time" & I think that includes the hours that he works out during. Check your lease & if this is the case - you have even more to back up your complaint.
    You have tried being neighborly & talking with him, but that only seems to be a temporary fix. If I were you, I would just go talk to the manager, especially if there is a "quiet time" printed in your lease.
    The only thing that would hold me back would be if this guy seems a little "off" & might retaliate against you complaining to the manager about him.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Coming from the flip side of that.. our downstairs neighbor has banged on their ceiling when we workout. It's annoying to have to adjust my life for someone else if I don't feel I'm being unreasonable. They will do this even if we work out at 2pm.

I don't think 9AM is that early, to be honest, although I sympathize with your schedule... and I could be wrong but I don't think most apartment managers are going to be able to do anything aside from ask him nicely if he would mind exercising later which will probably leave you in the same situation as you are now.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    make him move!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    my friend jonah and i were watching Lilo and Stitch at his apartment the other day and we had to turn up the volume because his neighbors were like having HARDCORE sex in the room over. like literally, the tv mounted on the wall was shaking and we had to turn up the volume. there was like loud yelling, moaning, the screeching of the bed and arms and legs hitting and thumping against the wall. we were like "holy FACH!!"
    Sorry about all the noise:flowerforyou:
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to identify the laws that protect you from being disturbed. Write a friendly letter to him citing the laws. If It continues, use the local authorities. If that fails, you can always file suit against him. Depending on the laws, you can be compensated, the landlord may have to take actions, or he can be evicted.

Time to study.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I work night shifts, and though I own my home, I do have another issue or so. I have kids and a husband, oh and 3 dogs. I also live 4blocks away from a junior high that has a very LARGE marching band. They love to practice right outside my house. Soooo, I run a box fan on high, with it pointed away from me so I don't get cold. It definitely helps drown out the daytime noise.
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    i HAD neighbors that had sex very loudly. No one will hear from them again...i mean they moved somewhere else shortly thereafter

Hilarious

As for the problem, maybe try talking to the apartment manager?
    If its after 9am there probably isn't much the manager can do. invest in earplugs and a fan for some white noise or something.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    The stomping in the middle of the night is worth complaining about, but the stuff during the day I can't see a problem with. Yeah, it sucks that it happens while you're sleeping in, but I don't think there is anything you can do about that.

First, dig out a copy of your lease. Most state what hours are considered "quiet hours" in an apartment building. I know mine does. Call your landlord and say, "the apartment above me has been making loud noises from 2-4 am that hinders my sleep. I've already went and talked to him, and he hasn't quieted down yet. Will you please speak to him and let me know what he says?" Then follow up if your landlord doesn't call you back. If the guy keeps making noise, keep calling your landlord. Eventually, your landlord has to do something about it, whether it is moving you into a new apartment or moving him or whatever.
  • Quiet time is from 10pm-7am, we were talking about reporting him to management but we didn't want to cause problems for him if we could avoid it because finding living in a city like Seattle is really tough.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    rent the movie Noise w/ Trish Goff in it.
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    2-4am is not cool and probably unlawful. Check with your local city bylaws as well as the wording of your lease. Could you be doing something that bothers him causing him to want to bug you? The guy upstairs from me smokes so my alarm starts going off at 5am. Until he moves. He will.