Daily weigh in, weekly weigh in, monthly weigh in?

Options
Which do you do and why?

I am coming up on almost a week on my diet but I think it would be pretty neat to weigh in every 2 weeks.

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because I'm obsessive but I think weighing once a week is best.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    I weigh in about 3 times per week to make sure I'm going in the right direction but I only record weigh-ins on MFP every week or two.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, just to understand how my body reacts to certain foods.

I log it here weekly, and I take my measurement on the first of every month.
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm only about 2 wks in, but I'm going to weigh once a week. I get frustrated if I don't see loss every time I step on the scale.
    Said the impatient girl ;)
  • MiChaChelle
    MiChaChelle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i used to weigh in once a day.. but i started obsessing over every single change in my weight.. now i only weigh myself once a week.. i think it's best this way.
  • Knightley27
    Knightley27 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been weighing in on Sunday Mornings. I usually let Sundays be my treat day and I dont want that to show on the scale :blushing:
    Cheating? Perhaps.:tongue:
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    I don't have a set schedule. I just do it when I'm bored and feel like there should/could be a difference. I know if I try to set a schedule, I'll become too obsessive with it.
  • carrierufus
    Options
    I weigh every day but have been terrible keeping up with MFP.
    I only count my Thursday weigh in though.
    I must do better. I have a wedding dress to get into!
  • DreamersWifey
    DreamersWifey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Everyday :)
    just to see if I need to tweak my food intake
    Or how my body reacts to certain foods to know if I should continue eating them or not!
    but Monday is my official weigh in day!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and I think you just need to decide what works well for you. I weigh in multiple times a day but only have one 'official' weigh in each week - and that's the weight I record.

I find it fascinating. Weigh, eat, weigh again. Weigh, poo, weigh again. It's all interesting to me and I'm not the type to get depressed over small gains since I know that as long as over the course of a week it goes down I'm ok. But for other people a lousy morning weigh in could set them up for a bad day and so that type of person should weigh less.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In the past I have weighed daily or at the least weekly and found myself getting obsessed at the scale. If I lost I would be happy, if not I took it bad and would either become obsessed with what I was eating or fall off the wagon totally.
    This time I went to a nutritionist who asked me not to weigh at home, but only weigh when I see her monthly. It was very hard for the first month when I had no idea if I was doing it right, or it would work, but it was so nice to step on the scale at the end of the month and see a big drop. It also cancels out the TOTM bloat for me when I would gain at least 4-8lbs prior to my period which would upset me. This way I don't notice that.
    I do occasionally jump on the scale at gym, reason being my health insurer gives me discounts based on my weight loss. However, the gym scale gives me quite a different weight from what I get at the dietician, so I disregard that anyway.

I also find that not weighin daily allows me to focus on the changes in my body and not my weight.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily at the same time every morning in the nude, before I eat or drink anything, but after going ot the loo.

I do this because that way I can take note of trends and fluctuations that happen and not panic about them. The way I see it is this:

Let's say my weekly weigh in day is Sunday and I weigh in at 198lbs. If I weigh in every day, I will see my weight fluctuating up and down throughout the week and I might find that by Saturday I weigh 196lbs, havnig dropped 2lbs over the course of the week. But I may fluctuate and find myself at 197.5lbs on the Sunday, so I think I've only dropped half a pound. If I check again on the Monday, I will most likely have gone back down to 196lbs and this would reflect a more accurate reduction in weight for me than the 0.5lb I recorded.

I find that if I only weigh myself weekly, I get the idea into my head that I can eat more the first few days because I'll have time to "pull things back" the rest of the week in time for weigh in. Except I don't pull things back. I end up in a downward spiral. If I weigh in daily and notice an increse over a few days I know I really need to look at what i'm doing and maybe change something. I can make an immediate change and sort it out straight away.

So, I weigh in daily, BUT I take a note of long-term trends. It's the long-term reduction in weight I look at and also my monthly cycles. Weighing in daily just helps keep myself motivated and on track rather than slipping back into my old bad habits.
  • ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options
    I weigh in every day for the stupidest reason ever, that reason being that I hate having gaps in my progress graph. The more data points there are, the more accurate the curve!

I'm not too concerned about weight or my measurements, to be honest. I'm more concerned about gaining more muscle tone and being able to push my physical endurance. Progress for me means my clothes not feeling tight or riding up, being able to run longer and faster than I have been able to before, being able to do a push-up for the first time in my life, and not sweating it when I miss the bus back home from the grocery store, because I can carry all twenty pounds of my groceries for a mile without collapsing in exhaustion.

But everyone is at a different place in their fitness journey, and has different preferences. :)
  • shay_younggurl
    shay_younggurl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday because I'm crazy and obsessive, but I like it that way because the scale usually moves in the right direction :)
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, sometimes more than once a day. I, too, am pretty compulsive about checking my weight and recording it. However, it also helps me determine whether my weight on my "official" weigh-in day (the day I will update my numbers here) is actually reflective of where I am. For example, in order to record a loss, it has to show up on the scales at least 2 of 3 days. Otherwise, I don't know whether it's an abberation regarding how my scale weighed me that day or a temporary low day because of any number of factors. I don't seem to get overly discouraged about the weight, even if it shows an increase, because it's usually gone by my "official" weigh-in day. It works for me, so far, but definitely not for everyone.