Teach me how to swim!

Options
krbn2
krbn2 Posts: 98 Member
I've recently gained access to a pool, and want to start doing laps on a regular basis.

I did learn to swim as a kid, so I can tread water like a champ--I'm NOT asking anyone to prevent me from drowning! But despite many childhood summers spent in the pool, I never learned to swim for speed or acquired any real technique. I get from one end of the pool to the other by frog-legging my legs and free-styling my arms, with a complete stop every time I need air, interspersed with some dog-paddling.

Does anyone have basic tips or know of good websites that have tutorials on swimming technique? I know I won't become an Olympian by asking the internet how to swim, I'd just like to not look like a crazy person.

Replies

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My local pool (and the local swimming club) both do group swimming lessons for adults - I would see if your does.
  • stage5
    stage5 Posts: 12
    Options
    Check out the web site at the end of these tips.
    Tips to watch out for when you are ending up breathless after 1 lap are,
    1 Keep your head down and this should help your body float better, ie your legs won,t sink (but do kick as well).
    2 Blow out your air under water and only take in air when you come up for air,
    3 leave your lead arm out longer to support your head when you come up for air. (Glide)
    4 Kick from the hip, not from the Knee.
    see http://www.swimsmooth.com/
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me, it worked when I found my 'survival shuffle' stroke. That is, a rate I can keep going with for 30+ minutes. Once you have that, you can work on speed and technique. If you can avoid resting between lengths, you will be impressed at how far you swim - 1K in 25 minutes will just happen.
    I would think coaching is a good tip if its in budget, for me it has not been. But a kickboard and flippers are worthwhile, I find them good to move my focus away from my arms.