You don't need to lose weight!

Options

Replies

• lifes_revenge
    lifes_revenge Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have one friend who tells me I've lost weight everytime I see her!! Its so annoying because she's also the friend who would tell me I look good in a binliner so even if I have lost a lot since I last saw her the compliment is kinda backhanded and fake anyways.
    Plus, my friends are all natural size 8-10 petite where I am more amazonian girl so they wouldnt have a clue what its like.

Does anyone else also get "your tall so you carry it".....wtf is that supposed to mean?!?! I don't want to carry it, I might be tall but that doesnt mean I am allowed to have a jiggly tum or thunder thighs and I am smack bang in the middle of my bmi range but seriously naked I would put me closer to overweight :/
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I know it's not quite the same thing...... but it just cracks me up when someone asks if you have lost weight - and when you reply 'yes I have lost 10lbs so far' ... they then go on to say ....'Yes I thought so you can really tell, it has all gone off your face!' WHAT????? seriously 10lbs off my face!!!! :ohwell:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    My DH used to say that to me constantly. Well, I have gone from 310 pounds to 115 in just over two years. Just last week he was going through his hard drive and deleting lots of old pics and he said to me - he was completly blind to the fact that I was ever that size and it was only comparing the before and after shots that brought it to his attention.

It is good to know that he has loved me no matter what size I am, but it would still have been nice if he had realised that I needed a little push to get some of my excess weight off instead of me waiting until it became a major health issue. Having said that, back then I would have probably have run to the food cupboard if he had told me I needed to lose weight - that was my coping stratergy.

Truthfully, don't listen to what other people say. We have to take responsibility for our weight and fitness and we should learn to know our bodies better than outsiders. x
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just smile and say "Oh Thank You!!"
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    Yup, all the time. From family and others. I wish people would just mind their business. I think it's because they're not used to seeing me smaller. I'm going to continue doing my thing and not listen to them because I'm the one who has to like my body. I've said the "naked" thing too or a variation of it. It's so true though. I'm an expert at hiding things.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose weight = "If you lose weight you'll look better than me and I don't like that, but I don't want to work out and eat right - so you stop getting skinny so we can all stay overweight!"

HAHAHA.,..That's what I thought it meant too....Cause the people I have personally seen say that...are not AS in shape as the person they are saying it too.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Tell them to stop gaining weight.

tahaha
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for the day I would hear those words...

I am on the other side of the continuum.. sick of hearing keep up the good work, just 10-15 more kilos, etc :-/
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    People don't believe I'm in the overweight zone, and I get this a lot. I tell them it's not about the number, it's about my health. And that right now, I'm not at a healthy weight.

I understand when someone is trying to say "You look good the way you are!" But I don't think they can fight with you when you tell them you know you look ok, but that you want to be healthy, too!
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I get this nonstop from my mom. She actually wants me to gain weight. I told her to stop commenting on my weight loss, and I think she got the idea lol.

Also, my doctor accused me of having an eating disorder because I'd lost 15 lbs (since last YEAR). Um, hello, I think 15 lbs. in a year is completely reasonable thank you very much. She wants me to gain weight as well. *sigh* Mind your own business :|
  • verdammtwenig
    Options
    A lot of my friends from college are really into the fat acceptance movement. Reclaiming the word "fat" and trying to take away the negative stigmatization of it. I'm all for the movement. There are people who are naturally larger framed who get called "fat" and really need to be reminded and have it stick that there's nothing WRONG with being larger. It doesn't make you a bad person.

That being said, I'm frightened to tell these college friends that I'm working on losing weight. I feel that they'll think I'm just buying into popular notions of beauty and the **** that girly magazines and pop stars sell us. And I don't know how to explain to them that that's NOT it. I don't want to look like a super model. I want to be able to, eventually, do the whole friggin' week of RAGBRAI. I want to bike to work and not even break a sweat. I want clothing to flatter my body rather than just cover it up.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I hear this all the time at work & in my personal life.. It so annoying, just because *you* think my body is nice & fine the way it is doesn't mean I have to feel that way.. I personally just don't care for comments that have to do with my weight anyways. Unless your my best friend/close family member/S.O I don't think your opinion is relevant. Even if you are one of those people I will keep losing weight/toning until I am happy because its my body & I want to like it! I just tell them I have a goal in mind & I want my body to be the best it can be.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I hear it a lot.. "Why do you log your food? You don't need to worry about calories.."

No one seems to understand "Skinny Fat". I tell them they wouldn't want to see me in a bikini yet. :P
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    I used to be able to talk to my parents about my weight loss journey, but I can't anymore because all they do is tell me that I have lost enough and shouldn't worry about it anymore. My mum tells me I should have more treats because I am skinny now, which doesn't make sense to me.
    I think they are just trying to look out for you but obviously you know where you want to be :)
  • fitspo124
    fitspo124 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Far too much to the point where I abandoned working out and eating healthy, and gained back 10 pounds. I know it wasn't a sensible thing to do but I was tired of the constant 'You're too skinny', 'You look old now', 'Stop dieting!' etc etc. It was really difficult to hear it but now I'm back on track - thankfully.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I think it has a lot to do with the common perception of dieting. People assume if you're losing weight, you must be depriving yourself, hungry, miserable, obsessive, and driven by self-loathing. So they want to tell you it's okay to stop. "It's fine! You've tortured yourself enough! You can go back to normal now!"
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would hear this all the time when people knew that I was losing weight, so I just stopped telling them. I'm trying to get in shape more than lose weight, but people don't understand that. They equate eating healthy as "dieting," not a lifestyle change. Being healthy and trying to lose weight can be two very different things.

I wonder how much of this perception is due to the generally skewed public perception. A third of Americans are obese, and another third are overweight. This means that only one third of us, the minority, are actually at a healthy weight. I'm not saying that all people who say "you don't need to lose weight" do so out of jealousy, but I think that the majority of people can no longer accurately assess weight. Our idea of a normal, healthy weight has been skewed not just by the media but especially by our own sizes. If you look around and most people are overweight, then it only makes sense that people who are a healthy weight seem, in comparison, to be too small.
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    One of the things that got me motivated to lose some weight was when, a couple of months ago, I was telling my MIL that I needed to lose about 40 lbs (I'm 5'4" and weighed about 153). I was overstating and really wanted to lose about 30 lbs. She said, "Yeah, me, too. Well, not that much, maybe 30 lbs." Wha-a-a-at?!? Basically agreeing that I needed to lose 40 lbs. Last week, when I told her I had lost 10 lbs, she said, "Oh, you don't need to lose any more weight", and tells me that every time I see her lately. I asked her the other day not to say that to me anymore, that I WANT to lose 20 more lbs because that's a weight that I've been at and feel very comfortable at. Oh, well, at least she got me motivated to get in better shape... Don't get me wrong--I ADORE THIS LADY!! But, sheesh...
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't mention to any of my friends that I want to lose weight. Especially as someone who wants to go from the top of the healthy BMI range to the bottom of it - it can be a bit demotivating to be told all the time that you don't need to lose weight. I've never come up with a good come back (I'm not quick enough!) but I'm going to use the one in the OP from now on!
    Hahahaha yessss :)
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time from well-meaning family and friends but I won't be satisfied until I am healthy enough to no longer need blood pressure tablets - and then I will decide whether I need/want to lose any more. I've given up trying to explain to people that I am still obese according to BMI charts - they don't see it. At least my DH is my champion and continues to support me towards my goals.