Special needs mommy's :)

Options

Replies

• giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    Awesome thread !

Hats off to all the wonderful people here taking care of some very special people!

I am mighty sure it would be hard to find time for yourself sometimes.

Keep up the awsome job, some big weight loss numbers In here!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i'm not a mum but my bro is autistic, hope i apply :)
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys, with all the ups and Downs everyone sounds so Positive and it would be a great idea
    to start our own group.

I'm a Mom of two beautiful Daughters, Fiona is 14yrs and Aisling is 12yrs .Aisling has High-
    Functioning Autism and they are both Fun loving Girls....Olive.x
  • sashatranett
    Options
    not a mom, but my nephew is special needs. i'd love to join the group if there is one created! he is 6 and is in kindergarten, he has a tracheotomy tube and a feeding tube. he doesn't talk, but he'll hold his finger over his trach tube and push out air to make random noises. i wish i knew what he was trying to say! he does do a little bit of sign language, he walks (but he's not stable) and most of his developmental disabilities are emotional, behavioral, and fine motor skill related. he was born 3 months early and the lack of development in his lungs and brain just snowballed into a lot of other issues. it has been a long road for our family. 2 steps forward and one step back kinda thing with his health. he was in the hospital for the first 18 months of his life. he's my biggest hero! i dont know anyone he can go through that much (let alone in 6 years) and still wear a smile everyday :)
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Sara and I am a mom to three boys, a seven year old and two year old twins. One of my twins is physically disabled. He has a rare disease called Escobar disease. It's the genetic form of arthrogryposis which means joint contractures. We are on our 12th surgery with many more to go. Cognitively he is fine so far! It's nice to meet all of you! It's tough to balance all of it but I know how important it is for all of us to be healthy!
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I have a son who will be 16 in June, who has what used to be considered High Functioning Autism, but is now a more bit middle of the road, and also has severe asthma and epilepsy. I also have another son who has Asperger's Syndrome. I have 6 kids altogether, and we are a military family. My husband is only home on the weekends, and not every weekend. Sure can make life interesting!
  • alumpoflard
    alumpoflard Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old with autism, he is just starting to talk and is very lively! My grown up nephew is also autistic.
  • TerraMatris
    TerraMatris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful idea...thank you.:flowerforyou:

My name is Karen...my son has Tourette's Syndrome with two co-morbid complications of ADHD and Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder. He is now turning 21, and entering graduate school for Pharmacy. I so wish I had met you all earlier in his life. He is a wonderful and loving person...who has set goals for himself and is working hard to achieve them. There were many times in his childhood where times were trying...and I was not sure how to help him.

What helped us the most was working with my collegeas in Special Education...I am a special education teacher. Please use the resources available to you in your children's schools.
  • TerraMatris
    TerraMatris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    All you wonderful moms (and dads too) are an inspiration...this includes my brother and sister-in-law, my nephew has Down's Syndrome.
  • kansasblueyez
    kansasblueyez Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a mother of two my daughter is 7 and was born with Down Syndrome and I have a son who is 3.
  • kebrina1983
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kebrina and I have a 7yo boy who has PDD NOS. Please add me..
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My wee girl is 2 and has GDD. We are in the long anxious process of trying to find out what is up. Would be nice to have friends who know what that is like.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Not a mom, but just wanted to say thanks and good job to all of you who are so attentive and sensitive to your children's needs. I suffered from crippling anxiety from as early as I can remember, OCD set in in 4th grade, was depressed and suicidal in high school, and ended up needing emergency psychiatric care for a complete breakdown in college. My parents--who, don't get me wrong, love me very much--did not want to believe that their "perfect" daughter needed help and brushed it off for as long as they could. In their minds, I was too smart for there to be anything really wrong with me mentally. I'm 26 now and was only recently diagnosed with ADHD and my doctor is trying to diagnose the exact anxiety disorder but it's taking a while.

So again, all of you who acknowledge problems and stay on top of them deserve a pat on the back. I know it can't be easy, but your kids will be better off in the long run. Sorry for derailing the thread. :happy:

Not a derail, at all. My heart goes out to you. As a parent, it's sometimes hard to face our children's challenges. I'm so happy you're finally getting the help you need.
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    hello!
    my name is Tanta and son has a terminal disease characterized by the lack of neuronal migration during the pregnancy. He has severe epilepsy that is without any control, doesnt see, doesnt move, doesnt hear well and doesnt breath well. The doctors said he was going to die in the first year of life but he already pass 3 years and always have a smile on his face.
    Im trying to get healthy and in shape so i can give him a brother before he dies.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am Tanya, a mother of two boys 15 and 14 who are both aspergers feel free to add me. I also have two daughters 13 and 11 that are completely healthy short of the preteen attitude!
  • Julie2402
    Julie2402 Posts: 126
    Options
    Hi, i would like to join, i have a 13 year old daughter who has high functioning austism. She is a beautiful girl who has taught me so much.x
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My son is 12 and on the autism spectrum but I always like to mention some people don't believe that due to not knowing his early years. He has a lot of obsessive behaviors that change up. Right now he is on a kick to clean the bathroom and went has far to make himself a mask with his shirt because of the smell of scrubbing bubbles. Oh my can't believe I wrote that. We are seeking couseling which was the hardest thing I had to do in a while.

mygrl4meee just a thought, from someone who has severe environmental allergies, (fragrances incl) is it possible that you son could also be bothered by the scent of the scubbing bubbles because he is sensitive to the petrochemicals used in the production of products?
  • freyaandcorysmum
    Options
    Hi all, my youngest daughter has RAS...very rare. wud love to find some other mummies to relate to x
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    The chemicals probably did get too him. We don't normally use a lot of chemicals but our shower was needing some tlc and he started trying to clean the bathroom and wants it to be his job and spraying it like crazy. I hope he gets tired of cleaning it.
  • Mootpoint
    Mootpoint Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I have a son with Asperger's (with elements of ADD and anxiety disorder) and dyspraxia, a daughter who is Growth Hormone Deficient, asthmatic and hypoglycaemic; my youngest is severely asthmatic and my eldest son who was diagnosed as clinically hyperactive but is now borderline hyperactive.

Seems there a quite a few of us here. :-)