lower Back Pain, help?

Options
Hi all Iv been suffering with lower back pain for the last couple of weeks, I think it's related to my job ( long drives there & lots of time bending over cots / bending down to lift babies to seated mums) Iv tried to ignore it, carried on going to the gym, taking hot baths and sometimes pain relief but recently my boyfriend suggested it might be my lower back muscles are weak?

Does anyone know of/ or can suggest exercises maybe strength exercises to help me ? I'm a member of the gym so I have acces to weights Machines

Replies

• budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    bumping this, i have the same problem also
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Working on your core will defs help :)
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    bumping this too, I've the same problem, mine leads to spasms in my back which are extremely painful. Would love to know what core exercises are best and what won't make the problem worse :-)
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I would book a visit with a physiotherapist. They can do a good assessment of how your drive and job affect your body and can give good tips on ways to protect your back in your daily life. They can also make good suggestions on best ways to exercise for your condition. You don't have to make a long term commttment to physio appointments, but great to have a consult with them.. they will give you great exercises to do at home.
  • sparkie2bfit
    Options
    I have had back and sciatica pain since January. I think it is best to find out the root cause before injuring yourself more. I do go to a chiropractor and acupuncturist and get massages, but I had to get an MRI and find the root so I can build my strength around my weak areas. It has been a slow process but have continued to lose by calorie watching only. I miss exercising but have hope of returning to it some day soon.

I have found with lower back pain that a new pair of tennis shoes also helps. I would go though a pair every six months and my back would tell me when it was time for a new pair. Strengthening your core muscles is great support for your back.

Hope your back gets well soon.
  • BeeSunny
    BeeSunny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a lower back injury I have had forever, I have been using the video 'Yoga for Common Conditions', it has helped strengthen my muscles in my back, stomach, and legs so I will stay injury free. It is an easy work out that I just love to do I actually stream it from Netflix. Hope that helps!!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    yes, a physio or chiropractor. I have weak lower back muscles and always seem to throw my back out a week before the time of the month. However, I just ordered a balance ball to help my core - I used one of them when I was doing physio last time I threw my back out big time and it helped.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. (The kind with a medical degree.) don't mess around with your lower back.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Seated dumbell rows are good for helping to get a strong back...but I wouldn`t attempt anything till you get back on track or you may just make things worse.

Try to use your knees as much as possible when lifting to avoid the strain on your back (but you probably know this anyway)

Good luck...nothing worse than back pain!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Nothing strengthens your lower back like deadlifts. However, with back pain, I would strongly suggest getting it checked out by a doctor before you start any kind of strength training. If there is something wrong beyond just weak muscles, any strength training could cause serious injury.

If doctor says ok, I would definitely start deadlifting.
  • madmex569
    madmex569 Posts: 49
    Options
    u just might need to strengthen your core but with back pain it's always a good idea to get it checked by a doctor.I've worked as a laborer in construction for 23 years.My back and other parts are a mess but i feel better working different muscles than the ones i use for work. {jackhammer,shovel,etc.} good luck
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee's got a couple yoga for back pain videos. Because of the sitting and lifting you do, it looks like your hip flexors and lower back need some stretching. The yoga or even just some regular stretching will take care of the spasms causing your pain. You can google up "hip flexor stretches" and get detailed instructions, videos and diagrams.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. (The kind with a medical degree.) don't mess around with your lower back.

This.

Don't mess around with your spine - it isn't worth "guessing".

I have steel rods in my spine AND a bulging disc in my lower spine where it isn't fused. Don't mess around with your spine!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I used to have an awful lower back, spasms and all. After PT made it possible to walk upright again, I started doing Yoga. It helped to the point where I was ablle to start strength training.

Consult with your doctor to see what would be appropriate for you.