The relationship between heart rate and calories burned?

Options
For the first time in my life I am exercising every day of the week. I aim for at least 30-45 minutes of something- elliptical, swimming laps, horseback riding, or walking the dogs. And it's going great!

But I am seriously confused about the relationship between heart rate and calories burned... and how to get the most accurate calories burned count for my work out.

It seems to me that every work out there are lots of variables. For example, today on the elliptical I could give you all of this information:

45 minutes, HR avg 140, 3.55 miles, resistance level 5, incline 5.
The machine says I burned 390 calories, mapmyfitness (where I log my workouts) says 408, and this calculator* says 359 calories. (This example just has a calorie difference of 50 calories, but when it's swimming or zumba or yoga it gets loads more confusing.)

Now yesterday, I did the same thing, but a little bit harder- steeper incline, more resistance. My heart rate average only went up one or two beats per minute. So basically, I got the same calorie count.

So what's the deal? Do calories burned have everything to do with heart rate and duration and nothing to do with how far you went or the intensity of your work out?

If I do anything that gives me an average heart rate of 140 for 45 minutes will my calorie burn be the same? And what about workouts that don't raise your heart rate, but still kick your bum, like weight training?

Is there some magic formula out there that I could plug my overload of information into and get an accurate calories burned count?

PS. I sense that a lot of you are about to tell me to get a HRMonitor. I think this would be a good idea as well, but I can't afford one at the moment. I use the HR monitors at the gym on the machines, and am looking for ways to get the most accurate calories burned count without having a HRM.

* http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Calories burned are measured indirectly as a function of oxygen consumption. Heart rate is an indicator of oxygen consumption in that when you need more oxygen to your muscles and other cells, your heartrate goes up to deliver that oxygen where it needs to be. If the caloric need is high (ie you're burning lots of calories to perform the required task) then oxygen demand is high. If oxygen demand is high, then heartrate goes up. Since you can't measure your oxygen consumption or caloric need directly, you can measure your heart rate and get a decently accurate idea of what's going on. And there's no two ways about it, the most accurate way to actually accomplish this is with a heart rate monitor. Cardio machines that give you calories burned only use an algorithm based on broad range average estimates in the general population. Odds are excellent they are wildly inaccurate.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Calories burned are measured indirectly as a function of oxygen consumption. Heart rate is an indicator of oxygen consumption in that when you need more oxygen to your muscles and other cells, your heartrate goes up to deliver that oxygen where it needs to be. If the caloric need is high (ie you're burning lots of calories to perform the required task) then oxygen demand is high. If oxygen demand is high, then heartrate goes up. Since you can't measure your oxygen consumption or caloric need directly, you can measure your heart rate and get a decently accurate idea of what's going on. And there's no two ways about it, the most accurate way to actually accomplish this is with a heart rate monitor. Cardio machines that give you calories burned only use an algorithm based on broad range average estimates in the general population. Odds are excellent they are wildly inaccurate.

Excellent explanation!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Damn my friends are smart :blushing: Awesome!!!
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh wow- that was very helpful!
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Does anyone want to recommend a HR Monitor that is good for machine cardio and reasonably priced?
  • leanne402
    leanne402 Posts: 19
    Options
    I use the polar FT4 and I love it. It was relatively cheap and can be used for swimming too.
    I believe as well that if you're doing resistance/strength training, although you wont burn as many cals during your workout, your body continues to burn more to repair the muscles. So, don't get disheartened when you see a small number.

Good Luck :smile:
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    Does anyone want to recommend a HR Monitor that is good for machine cardio and reasonably priced?

The key is to get a HRM with a chest strap. It sounds uncomfortable but I promise you'll get used to it. I have a Polar FT7 and I can honestly say it was one of the best investments I've made. Helps keep me motivated and has also opened my eyes to how WAY off some of the burn estimates are- both here on MFP and MapMyFitness which I also use.

Congrats on making the commitment to work out daily- that's awesome!!!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my life I am exercising every day of the week. I aim for at least 30-45 minutes of something- elliptical, swimming laps, horseback riding, or walking the dogs. And it's going great!

But I am seriously confused about the relationship between heart rate and calories burned... and how to get the most accurate calories burned count for my work out.

It seems to me that every work out there are lots of variables. For example, today on the elliptical I could give you all of this information:

45 minutes, HR avg 140, 3.55 miles, resistance level 5, incline 5.
    The machine says I burned 390 calories, mapmyfitness (where I log my workouts) says 408, and this calculator* says 359 calories. (This example just has a calorie difference of 50 calories, but when it's swimming or zumba or yoga it gets loads more confusing.)

The elliptical machines and perhaps other devices as well are reportedly set for the average 180 pound male. I have heard this from more than one fitness club. Since you are clearly not a 180 lb guy, if you want a more accurate cal count on a number of different exercises, you will, alas, need a HRM. Personally, I don't want another device in my life at the moment. Have enough high maintenance toys will little screens that I need my kids to explain how to use. In the winging it category, I just cut back the MFP exercise calorie numbers that always seem high by some amount that suits me that day depending on how I hard I figure I worked, and that's been good enough to stay out of the obsessive compulsive help group websites. I respect those who must need to know exactly, however I am just not yet willing to cross over to that level of counting.
  • drmrhs
    Options
    On this website:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/369713-heart-rate-calories-burnt/

It says:

Calories Burnt
    To calculate approximately how many calories you burn, you will need your average heart rate, age and weight in kilograms. According to a study from the University of Cape Town, the following equations will tell you how many calories you burn per minute. For men, consider: calories/minute = (-55.0969 + 0.6309 x Heart Rate + 0.1988 x weight + 0.2017 x age) / 4.184.

Women should determine: calories/minute = (-20.4022 + 0.4472 x HR - 0.1263 x weight + 0.074 x age) / 4.184. Multiply the answer to this equation by the number of minutes you exercised and you will have a good approximation of how many calories you burnt during your entire exercise session.
  • ruthwt
    ruthwt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm so glad to have found this topic! Thanks to all that contributed. I just ordered the Polar FT4, I think it comes with a chest strap. I am also using the fitbit to help calculate what I'm burning through the day. But I usually take the fitbit off when I'm doing something like Turbo Fire, and then just try to use an exercise from the data base. That's why I'm excited about the FT4...I'm hoping to be able to enter the calories burned doing other activities besides walking and stairs. Thanks again!!
  • timaeus_drache
    timaeus_drache Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm so glad to have found this topic! Thanks to all that contributed. I just ordered the Polar FT4, I think it comes with a chest strap. I am also using the fitbit to help calculate what I'm burning through the day. But I usually take the fitbit off when I'm doing something like Turbo Fire, and then just try to use an exercise from the data base. That's why I'm excited about the FT4...I'm hoping to be able to enter the calories burned doing other activities besides walking and stairs. Thanks again!!

Love my FT4!
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    [/quote]

Love my FT4!
    [/quote]

I just ordered an FT4 a few min ago - do you have any tips and tricks? or is it easy to use as is?

Thanks!

Alex
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If oxygen demand is high, then heartrate goes up. Since you can't measure your oxygen consumption or caloric need directly, you can measure your heart rate and get a decently accurate idea of what's going on. And there's no two ways about it, the most accurate way to actually accomplish this is with a heart rate monitor.
    Unless the HRM contains the data to measure an individuals current fitness level then the calorie counts are basically wild guesses.

Two individuals of equal weight may be exercising, one with a heartrate of 130 and the other with a heartrate of 160. Is one working harder or is he just out of shape? If they are both doing the same exercise at the same workload the calorie burn ought to be the same, no matter what their heartrate is.

A person who is aerobically fit will have a heart with a much larger stroke volume than a person not fit. That means that his heart does not have to beat as fast as the other person's to supply the exact same oxygen demand.

People who think that their calorie counts go down as they get in shape and their heartrates drop are wrong. Normalizing for weight the calorie count stays the same for equal workload. If the HRM says the calorie count is down then that should be an indication that the HRM calorie count is wrong.

The truth is that as a person becomes aerobically fit they ought to be able to produce increasing calorie burns in equal time because they will be able to exercise at increasing levels of workload at the same exercise intensity without an increase in heartrate.

If the HRM is not reflecting this then the HRM is simply wrong.
  • Lis622
    Lis622 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, its very easy to follow the set up, It pretty much walks you thru it. I have my Polar FT4 and LOVE IT!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Unless the HRM contains the data to measure an individuals current fitness level then the calorie counts are basically wild guesses.

Two individuals of equal weight may be exercising, one with a heartrate of 130 and the other with a heartrate of 160. Is one working harder or is he just out of shape? If they are both doing the same exercise at the same workload the calorie burn ought to be the same, no matter what their heartrate is.

A person who is aerobically fit will have a heart with a much larger stroke volume than a person not fit. That means that his heart does not have to beat as fast as the other person's to supply the exact same oxygen demand.

People who think that their calorie counts go down as they get in shape and their heartrates drop are wrong. Normalizing for weight the calorie count stays the same for equal workload. If the HRM says the calorie count is down then that should be an indication that the HRM calorie count is wrong.

The truth is that as a person becomes aerobically fit they ought to be able to produce increasing calorie burns in equal time because they will be able to exercise at increasing levels of workload at the same exercise intensity without an increase in heartrate.

So would you say that a HRM that measures resting HR likely be more accurate? My HRM had me lie still for a while when I first got it, and then redo it every so often. A more fit person would have a lower resting HR and then the HRM can take that into account.
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I love my Polar FT4, it is accurate and helps me to keep up with calories burned and my heart rate. It beeps when your heart rate changes so you know if your getting in that extra burn. :wink:
  • dawnj87
    dawnj87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Love my FT4!
    [/quote]

I just ordered an FT4 a few min ago - do you have any tips and tricks? or is it easy to use as is?

Thanks!

Alex
    [/quote]

Polar FT4 is really easy to use and I'm sure you will love yours as I do mine. I use it for my workouts as well as when I'm doing housework,etc. Love it :smile:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything by Polar. I have the FT4 and LOVE IT! I have heard rave reviews about the FT7 as well. I would research and see which one will suit your exercise needs the best.
  • moonsforeyes
    Options

like others have said, when you can afford one, a polar is the way to go! I have two. The polar ft4 you can get on amazon for as low as 60 dollars! I think that's a great deal :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If oxygen demand is high, then heartrate goes up. Since you can't measure your oxygen consumption or caloric need directly, you can measure your heart rate and get a decently accurate idea of what's going on. And there's no two ways about it, the most accurate way to actually accomplish this is with a heart rate monitor.

And this is the key issue with being obsessed with exact calorie burns. It doesn't exist. When you factor in EPOC it is even less precise. And HRMs are usless for measuring the burn from anaerobic activites like weight training.

It's just not that critical. Eat in a reasonable deficit and work out regularly (4 to 5 times per week) with a varied program (some cardio, some strength). Give it a few weeks and adjust accordindy. You'll never know exactly your burns and your calorie intake. It is unproductive to obsess over things you can't control.