People haven't noticed

Options
HI There.. I'm working out consistently every night and logging everything I eat. It's been over 4 months and only 1 person who doesn't know what I'm doing has said a word. I'm a very large woman but short (only 5'2) and have lost about 40 pounds. My clothes are definitely looser.. but no comments yet. I don't mind not getting any 'attention', but it just feels like I haven't been successful if it's not apparent to anyone. I think I'm just nervous about my upcoming weigh in (every 5 weeks).. what if I've plateau'd? How will I deal with that? My measurements haven't changed a great deal lately either. I think I'm freaking myself out for nothing.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    . I think I'm freaking myself out for nothing.

BINGO
  • kungfuflyer
    kungfuflyer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would be glad to help you
  • claireyf12
    claireyf12 Posts: 106
    Options
    Try not to freak out. People will notice soon, however its how you are feeling thats the important thing - keep up the great work :):)
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Maybe people are afraid of saying something because they don't want to offend you? Weight is a touchy subject for a lot of people and they might not want to say the wrong thing and upset you. I would probably only say something to a close friend if I knew they were trying to lose weight. I wouldn't ever say anything to someone if I didn't know they were trying or if it were someone at work or someone I didn't know very well. Also, maybe your clothes are hiding the weight loss and they can't tell because of that.
  • jero317
    jero317 Posts: 3
    Options
    keep eating healthy, keep exercising. keep the focus on practicing those healthy habits. that's what is good for your body. the numbers on the scale and what people notice or don't notice is not the important stuff. I think they'll eventually notice but that will be a fringe benefit of the healthier lifestyle you've adopted.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    no one has noticed for me either. :/
    i try not to let it get me down, i just remind myself that im doing this for me.
  • claireyf12
    claireyf12 Posts: 106
    Options
    Maybe people are afraid of saying something because they don't want to offend you? Weight is a touchy subject for a lot of people and they might not want to say the wrong thing and upset you. I would probably only say something to a close friend if I knew they were trying to lose weight. I wouldn't ever say anything to someone if I didn't know they were trying or if it were someone at work or someone I didn't know very well. Also, maybe your clothes are hiding the weight loss and they can't tell because of that.

^^^^ great point, dont think i would ever say to anyone either
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    U r losing weight and getting healthy for u not others. Don't worry about what they say or don't say. Focus on how u feel and look when u look in the mirror.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Always remember, you yourself will notice way before other people do, you typically have to lose alot of weight for other people to notice, good job on the 40 you lost, keep it up!
  • Denfks
    Denfks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people do notice but don't want to say anything! When people notice and comment, then they are also acknowledging that you were heavier. So, they let you keep it private. Don't think that they haven't noticed! If you are dropping sizes, then people cant help but notice! :) keep up the good work!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    People are weird. I don't know how often they REALLY notice anyway. When I'm on maintenance and haven't lost any weight for weeks, people will say "gosh you're getting so skinny" (skinny? I'm still close to 300 pounds!). My grandma is the worst. I won't even get into the door and she's already saying "looking good, shrinking everytime I see you" and she may have just seen me a week before that lol I know she's just trying to be encouraging but it's a little fake.

I think it's just hard to really notice unless it's just been a long time since someone has seen you, and even then they may not say anything because they don't want to insult you if you really haven't lost weight. I know I see people who I think have lost weight but don't say anything in case I am wrong. Don't sweat it. It only matters if YOU notice :)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Try not to freak out. People will notice soon, however its how you are feeling thats the important thing - keep up the great work :):)

Exactly!!! U're doing great.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I think people who see you every day don't notice as much. I saw someone who hadn't seen me in a long time and her first comment was about my weight loss. Hang in there. People will notice.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about it!! I have a friend who said nobody said a WORD to her about her weight loss until she'd lost ~100 pounds! I think people just don't comment for fear of offending a person. You never know why a person loses weight...illness, life tragedy, change of habits, etc. People are noticing, believe me! Just stay the course and keep on truckin'!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Get a haircut and a nice new outfit that fits you better than your old clothes, people WILL notice!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've 'only' lost 33 lbs myself and no one seems to be noticing either. I started out at 179 and I'm down to 147. The ONLY reason a few people noticed is because I posted a pic of me standing behind my 'fat jeans' on facebook. One of my daugters lives out of state and she noticed so that helped some. The important thing is that we just keep on working at it and don't care what other people say, think, etc. Also, I have learned that a lot of people, even family, are threatened by our weight loss. Maybe because we were always fatter than them and they don't want to be the 'fat one'? I'm not sure, but I know that the people who care are our real friends.
    This is for US!!!! You are doing awesome so keep it up. You can do this so don't get discouraged! Add me as a friend if you'd like. I'll do my best to encourage you! <hugs>
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    When people notice and comment, then they are also acknowledging that you were heavier.

This use to bother me so much when I first started losing and had lost about 80 pounds. People would say "Gosh you've lost a lot of weight" or "Wow you are looking so good" and I would take it as "Damn! You used to be so fat"

Of course that is a personal self esteem issue.
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I totally agree. A co-worker told me the other day she could really see my weight loss because I had worn a top that was not so loose fitting (holding out buying new clothes tho until I hit my goal ;)
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel with your grandmother. My mother does the same thing. I actually was bold enough to ask her not to do this everytime I see her. I said something like "I appreciate the encouragement, but please don't say something everytime I see you.. I feel like I'm on body inspection or something and the stress of it might make me not want to visit as often..feel free to comment once in a while, but please, not every time I see you"
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    People who see you everyday are less likely to notice weight loss.

Someone who hasn't seen you in ages most likely will.

But remember, many, many people won't say anything at all even if they do notice because they dont want to hurt your feelings by saying something awkward.

And as another poster said, this is for you. Not them. Yes, its nice to be validated but it is not necessary for health and weight loss.

Get out your measuring tape and be proud, you've done amazingly well!!