Putting ON weight - help and advice :)

Options
Hey Everyone!
I currently weigh 93.8 lbs , I'm 5"7.5 - Ideally I would like to be atleast 7 or 7 1/2 stone however I'm having problems getting there!

I set up an account here to try and figure out how many calories I am missing out so that
I can re figure out my diet (adding more bits in/swapping stuff etc!) :) + What vitamins etc I'm low on!

I would be really appreciative if someone could suggest some ways of improving my diet but also keeping it reasonably healthy!I think I might have a fast metabolism also... my dad and mum are v skinny

Here's a typical days meal and exercise for me! :)

Breakfast:

Oat so Simple Porridge with 180ml Semi Skm Milk
Cup of Tea with 2oml Milk (gotthis from the myfitness website)

Lunch:

Brown Roll/Wrap
Spoonful of Hummus (Regular)
Kidneybeans/Chickpeas
Salad

Packet of/Sunbite Wholemeal Crisps

Piece of Fruit

Snack:

Piece of Wholemeal toast with Peanut Butter(Reg) + Cup of TEa

Dinner:

Normally something like Jacket potato with Tuna Butter
/ 2sausages and mash, Stirfry (2 "nests" of noodles)

Snack (after dinner)

Wholemeal Toast Peanut Butter

Exercise:

I walk atleast 30mins quick pace or more a day
I also dog walk twice a week at 40mins each time

I do Hatha Yoga for 1hour

Good luck everyone!

Daisy :)

Replies

• myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    93.8 lbs on a 5'7" frame is way too low. I am hoping it is a typo.
  • Carolw12
    Carolw12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wish I had your problem...lol You seem to eat very healthy and you have and active lifestyle. Try incorporating some smoothies or protein shakes into your diet becasue it seems you eat several times a day already. Good luck!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    93.8 lbs on a 5'7" frame is way too low. I am hoping it is a typo.

That could be why they are looking to put ON weight

Sorry OP, I can't help with this one but hopefully someone will come along with an answer for you :smile:
  • lilmayo
    lilmayo Posts: 8
    Options
    No Typo I'm afraid :(

Thank you! - I was thinking of trying to maybe have a yoghurty smoothie- I am at Uni and have someone stealing from my fridge aswell which doesn't help!!! :P
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Sorry for some of the thoughtless responses so far.

I really don't have any advice, but good luck on your goal!

Perhaps adding some protein powder to some smoothies would be an easy way to add some calories, etc.
  • Pedrocas
    Pedrocas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would recommend to you slowly digestive carbs, and lots of proteins, so you can gain some serious clean mass =)
    On the other hand, get rid of sugars and fast digestive carbs, spiking your insulin, maybe the reason your body is in such a high metabolism..
  • lilmayo
    lilmayo Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas- Smoothie's seem popular so I think I'll try and maybe do that for breakfast! Or I was thinking maybe Greek Yoghurt with something?
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hey OP! I am 5'7" and currently about 128-130lbs. I just started strength training to put on more muscle weight and here are some of the things that I do:

-Strength Training/Weight Lifting 3 days a week (Mon, Wed, Fri).
    -I only do about 10-15 minutes of warm up cardio in the beginning to get my muscles warmed up. I was doing 30 minutes of cardio three days a week but I found that it was difficult to eat back all the exercise calories as well as my maintenance calories. So now I am just focused on strength training.
    -High Protein diet. I try to get about 75-120 grams of Protein a day.
    -Calorie dense foods. Almond butter, Avocado and other foods that are a source of good fats keep me satiated and I am not whorking down a gallon of ice cream to make up calories. :)

I am not an expert, and I am just starting out but I am more than happy to share my diary and advice if you want to be friends!
  • acting101girl
    Options
    I am trying to gain and this is what has helped me!
    Lara bars, Luna bars! Eating large calorie snacks!!! Try together your snack up to 200-300 calories!! Put peanut butter on EVERYTHIING!! And eats lots of dark chocolate because it's good for your heart and has lots of calories!! Also drink tons of chocolate milk or milk!! Make smoothies!! I put banana & peanut smoothies all the tine!! And put protein powder in them also!! U can buy (super mass) protein powder that I use!! It helps alot!! Or ensure you can buy it at a local pharmacy:)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    go to your doctor and ask for a blood test. You may have an over active thyroid gland.

Also, look for drinks with gynseng ie green tea, monster energy etc.

You might want to cut down on the cardio and do some weight / strength training.
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, my sister has the same issue, she's always trying to put on weight. What stops her is that she has to do everything before she can eat; so she doesn't make the time. Also she's so not used to eating often and a lot of food and it is challenging for her to do so as she's trying now, I do see her struggle. But her struggle is neither here nor there.

My advise is to really make time to eat and prepare for your meals the best you can in advance. If you have issues getting enough cals in, try adding protein powder (it's got a little boost in cals with a bonus of extra protein); add it to your oatmeal, make a fruit smoothie, etc . You could also just make simple add-ons to your existing menu:

Breakfast:
    Add fruit or nuts to your oatmeal

Lunch:
    Have an extra scoop of hummus
    Use a heavier dressing on the salad (or rather don't use low fat)

Dinner:
    Try adding a little rice or starch
    Or if you have a sweet tooth have a little dessert

To gain a pound you need to consume 3500 cals over your TDEE. At 5'7" your TDEE is probably over 1700, so to gain 1/2 a pound a week you need to eat an additional 250 cals a day. So you would have to eat at least 1950 cals a day (in this example if your TDEE is 1700). With your current menu, you've got a lot of really great healthy foods, but you're probably still under that number.

Good luck on your goals!
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am so sorry. I read your post wrong. I didnt realize you were trying to put weight on even though the topic was staring me in the face.

Hope I didnt offend you.
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i use replied to the same issue today, let me find the link and ill post it on here for you :)

here it is:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/578755-need-to-gain-weight-help

i see she's already posted some good advice (acting101girl)
  • LeoQuin
    LeoQuin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Eat what you eat regularly, then add a few weight gain shakes - I have Mass-Tech from Muscle-Tech, it's for protein so it helps gain muscle weight but with 1000 calories in a 5 scoop shake, I'm sure it'll get you at least 5 pounds by the time the bucket is done. I hope you get to where you want to be, best of luck.

(And there's people who will simply say, eat everything or stack on calorie loaded snacks or meals; however, we want you getting healthy - so always watch what you eat.)
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    I've found pregnancy has been quite helpful at gaining weight -- BUT you're n uni and that wouldn't be a great idea -- the things others have suggested though (i.e. additional protein/strength training) you should give a try.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    looks like you could add more veggies and more protein and maybe another fruit, but go slow so your weight doesn't go the other way. Good luck!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    You daily food example looks pretty healthy, it might just be that you need to up the actual amounts a little. I'm 5'4" and just on 100 (up from 97lbs) For me personally, with my fast metabolism, MFP seems to underestimate - i lost 3 lbs in the first week on what I though was normal settings for me...so now I have my settings at active (even though I'm only so-so active) and I am set to gain 1b a week at 2160cals (though I gain between 1/2 and 1lbs on that) I can just maintain at 1900, which is the "gain 1/2 lb a week" level. Make sure you re eating back your exercise calories too. And eat often, every few hours, so maybe 2 snacks between meals.

It can be a push to eat that much in a totally healthy way. Maybe step up from semi skim milk to a slightly higher percentage fat one, or include more cheeses, yoghurts, and dairy. Nuts are great, and you are already going with the peanut butter, but all nuts can give you great calories and oils and protein! I'm still learning myself, but feel free to friend me if you want the support.

Oh and don't necessarily trust the MFP database, I have found some things to be really off (both really under or over the real calorie amount) so check it with your own packet before using it, or just add your own stuff.

Meg
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm also working on gaining weight. If you want to gain a lot weight, take steroids, lol. I've had bronchitis lately, so my doc gave me prednisone, and it seriously increases my appetite. Several days this week I ate more than 4000 calories!

But seriously, increasing your appetite may help. I've found that eating frequent snacks increased my appetite gradually. When I started using this site, I had trouble getting up to 2000 calories a day. I made a point of eating snacks, even if individually they didn't have many calories. It got my body used to eating more.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm gaining too. I've successfully gained 11 lbs so far. Weight training and a calorie surplus are your best friends. High calorie nutrition shakes have helped me the most. You can add me if you'd like.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!
    I currently weigh 93.8 lbs , I'm 5"7.5 - Ideally I would like to be atleast 7 or 7 1/2 stone however I'm having problems getting there!

I set up an account here to try and figure out how many calories I am missing out so that
    I can re figure out my diet (adding more bits in/swapping stuff etc!) :) + What vitamins etc I'm low on!

I would be really appreciative if someone could suggest some ways of improving my diet but also keeping it reasonably healthy!I think I might have a fast metabolism also... my dad and mum are v skinny

Here's a typical days meal and exercise for me! :)

Breakfast:

Oat so Simple Porridge with 180ml Semi Skm Milk
    Cup of Tea with 2oml Milk (gotthis from the myfitness website)

Lunch:

Brown Roll/Wrap
    Spoonful of Hummus (Regular)
    Kidneybeans/Chickpeas
    Salad

Packet of/Sunbite Wholemeal Crisps

Piece of Fruit

Snack:

Piece of Wholemeal toast with Peanut Butter(Reg) + Cup of TEa

Dinner:

Normally something like Jacket potato with Tuna Butter
    / 2sausages and mash, Stirfry (2 "nests" of noodles)

Snack (after dinner)

Wholemeal Toast Peanut Butter

Exercise:

I walk atleast 30mins quick pace or more a day
    I also dog walk twice a week at 40mins each time

I do Hatha Yoga for 1hour

Good luck everyone!

Daisy :)

I am not an expert but I would start with switching to whole milk for breakfast and adding some ground flax seed to your oatmeal. That will up your calories and the flax seed will add some healthy fats. Also add an egg cooked how you want and maybe some blueberries or strawberries or a cup of your favorite yogurt. this way you have protein with your carbs and healthy fats. Next lunch. You said a spoonfull of hummus. I know here in the states a serving is 2 tbl spoons so I would double your amount of hummus. Hmm you said a salad. I dont know what kind, if it had chicken and what kind of dressing it used. You can add callories there. Good job with the beans though. With your snack I would add some more fruit or a handfull of veggies with some more hummus. Dinner looked ok. Since you work out so much I would add another snack, maybe before bed. Again, I always try to eat protein, carbs, healthy fats and fruit or veggies with every meal/snack. Hope this helps. Good job on trying to gain weight.