Cheat day?

jawolfe
jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone out there have a planned cheat day once a week?

I have completely plateaued! I eat 1200 cals a day and I do add back my exercise calories, but I have been completely stuck...for months! I remembered that a few years ago when I started counting cals (and happliy lost 30 lbs!!) that after a few wks, my trainer made me have one cheat day a week shooting for 2000-2500 cals. Obviously his theory was that he wanted to trick my metabolism so that it didn't get used to the 1200 cals a day. Well I stopped doing that a long time ago and I'm wondering if that's what I need to do to break through this, I only have a few more lbs to go. I'm just a little nervous about increasing the cals like that though. So does anyone do that and has it worked? if so, what cals do you shoot for on a cheat day? is there something else I should be doing to break through this plateau? Thank you!!

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Edited...........should have read first!! Sorry:blushing:

One day to pig out will sometimes kick the metabolism. But I am suspecting, due to the 6 pounds you need to lose, that it is going to be slow for you.

Slow and steady wins the race!!
  • With such a small amount left to lose you may need to up your calories. The closer you are to your goal weight...the smaller your calorie deficit should be....like losing about a half a pound a week otherwise you may be losing muscle. This worked wonders for me as I went from 1200 to 1500 cals and started losing weight again. I don't "count" my calories on the weekends. I make the best choices possible on those days with maybe a treat (love dip n' dots) and it has never made me gain weight. It may have slightly hindered some weight loss, but I have never gained from it.
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    I've never been so close as you are to your goal (but I'll get there :wink: ). But I've always given myself a day off - Fridays. I don't pay attention to calories on those days, but I am aware of what I put in my mouth. One of my trainers told me the same thing...and for the same reason you mentioned. But since you are so close to your goal anyway, I don't know that that would work for you.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    In my OPINION when I did plateau when I splurge for one day and went ahead and ate that cheeseburger no fries..Also when I zigzag my calories and take a couplar of days off from working out the following week I would be down 2-3lbs always work for me you have to experiment a little bit trust me on that one:happy: :flowerforyou:
  • jawolfe
    jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
    Thank you all for the replies! Looks like I'll be adding a cheat day back in. In a way I'm excited, but it almost makes me nervous. It just seems counterintuitive that sometimes we need to increase our calories to lose more weight. I'm trying to get it!
This discussion has been closed.